Home

Cost of bar mitzvah in hotel for Shabbos?

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother

OP

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 9:37 am
What’s the approx cost of a bar mitzvah in a hotel over Shabbos? A regular hotel- nothing cheap but nothing extravagant.
I’m guessing about 70 people (including kids).
Tri state area

amother

Whitewash

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 9:41 am
Call the caterer you plan on using. They should be able to give you a number.

amother

OP

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 9:44 am
amother [ Whitewash ] wrote:
Call the caterer you plan on using. They should be able to give you a number.

I have no idea which caterer and which hotel. I just want to hear ballpark numbers.

Bakovodik, respectable but not high end.

amother

Orchid

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 9:53 am
It is very dependent on what you are covering. Will you pay for your guests' hotel rooms or will you just cover meals? Most hotels (except kosher ones) have a ballroom fee and then a charge for the food when you are using your own kosher caterer. They may also charge for snack bags that you provide and require you to pay for their waitstaff. If you need a separate room for davening, that will have an additional charge. Some have alcohol and beverage minimums. There is a Doubletree in Tarrytown, NY that makes Shabbos events and understands the process. When I was looking, it would have been about $25-30K for the type of numbers you are describing and that was without covering guest lodging. I imagine that there are places in Brooklyn and Monsey that might have different pricing. Depending on your hashgafa/desired hashgacha, there was also a Jewish camp in Connecticut called Isabella Freedman that had good pricing. I could see this working better for a MO family. The Stamford CT Holiday Inn has frum ownership and does Jewish events. The more legwork you are willing to do, the more likely that you could save money. For example, if you are willing to bring your guests to a less expensive area further away from NYC that doesn't have a Jewish community and bring in all the things you will need to have the event (shtenders, bima, Torah, caterer) you will probably have a more cost effective event. Mazal Tov and good luck.

amother

Wine

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 9:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have no idea which caterer and which hotel. I just want to hear ballpark numbers.

Bakovodik, respectable but not high end.

We have done afew family hotel shabbos. You can expect it to be minimum $20K.

amother

Forsythia

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 9:57 am
You need to make some calls. Prices will differ tremendously based on location. Think about the last 3-4 places that either you went or heard of people using. Call them and ask.

amother

OP

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 10:23 am
Yes I do want to pay for guest lodgings.

Wow 25-30 k before guests is more than I thought

amother

OP

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 11:30 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
We have done afew family hotel shabbos. You can expect it to be minimum $20K.

With or without paying for the guests’ rooms?

amother

Wine

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 11:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
With or without paying for the guests’ rooms?

This is with 1 night guest rooms. It's on the lower side. It can be anywhere between 20k-50k or more depending on what you're doing.

wtvr

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 2:08 pm
We looked into a Shabbos at the kosher hotels in the Catskills, and it was approx $10k for 40 ppl, half of them kids, to give you an idea. This includes 2 nights.
Keep in mind, that if you're using a more standard type hotel, and you don't want to pay for a second night, you need to arrange for a place for people to keep their stuff, and also there's nowhere for them to have go in the afternoon if they want to rest etc.

amother

Wine

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 2:11 pm
wtvr wrote:
We looked into a Shabbos at the kosher hotels in the Catskills, and it was approx $10k for 40 ppl, half of them kids, to give you an idea. This includes 2 nights.
Keep in mind, that if you're using a more standard type hotel, and you don't want to pay for a second night, you need to arrange for a place for people to keep their stuff, and also there's nowhere for them to have go in the afternoon if they want to rest etc.

You can arrange with the hotel to check out on Motzei shabbos. We've done this plenty of times. They charge a bit extra but not a full night.
Our shabbosim are arrange by people that do it as a business. They take care of everything, booking the hotel, food, shul.....
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h