Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/o Are you part of the 'scotch coat' club?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Red

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 3:16 pm
No one owes the OP anything. But sometimes it’s beneficial to read between the lines. She’s posting from a place of pain (as others have already said). And when we are in pain, sometimes we say things that aren’t exactly what we mean.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 3:26 pm
Reading this thread reminds me of what Shlomo HaMelech said "Raish V'Osher Al Titein Li".
To be honest, I think it's a Nisayon, a challenge, to be either wealthy or poor.
So painful for those who wrote how hard it was not to even remotely have what was normal. The poster who wrote about their home being in foreclosure (HUGS)....so tough.
And it's not easy to be wealthy either. And I don't think anyone wants to cause anyone pain.

I'm not a member of the "scotch coat" club and neither am I counting my nickels trying to afford a coat for my DD. (She got a mid-priced jacket last year that still fits and will work for another season. If this was not the case, we'd be in the market for another mid-priced jacket).

I've never been a fan of social engineering (let's get everyone to wear the same coat so no one feels bad). I feel it's very necessary to teach our kids that they don't have to be at the top of the designer totem pole. The fact is, there are gonna always be people with more stuff. Even people who get to a certain point - will find others who are beyond them. There's always more gashmiyus that can be pursued, and I'm sure the "scotch coat" members know others who are buying coats that cost double that.

At the same time, it's really hard for those on the bottom. I feel for them, even in my place somewhere in the middle. And I'm glad I don't deal with that need to moderate the expenditures of my family so that I don't hurt others.....

amother
Clover

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 4:29 pm
It would be a lot easier for people to learn to be okay with not having designer stuff if they weren't discriminated against and looked down on for not having designer stuff.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 4:36 pm
OP, sending you hugs. Coats are such a big ticket item I sweat every time a kid outgrows one!! I have found Burlington coat factory helpful and sometimes lands end has great sales. Even that is $$$$$ but at least they last.

Would you mind if I asked what in heaven’s name is a Scotch Coat Club? Is it an organization? So confused think I’m missing something here

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 4:39 pm
Hold on wait

Is that the name of a coat? Scotch coat? (Like scotch tape?)

The light dawns

Never heard of it. Are they exceptional quality? What makes them special?

I’m laughing
I thought scotch coat club was a Good Samaritan organization that shares or donates coats and was so confused by some of the comments (and bewildered why I had never heard of this evidently international, non denominational coat donating empire.)

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 15 2021, 5:10 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Hold on wait

The light dawns

I’m laughing
I thought scotch coat club was a Good Samaritan organization that shares or donates coats and was so confused by some of the comments (and bewildered why I had never heard of this evidently international, non denominational coat donating empire.)

LOL
I loved your post, because that was me when I read the original "scotch bonnet coat" thread. I was so flabbergasted that people are LOOKING to spend extra money on coats. (Truth is, I know there are way more significant ways to spend money. A good quality coat is usually a good investment.)

DrMom

Post Sat, Oct 16 2021, 12:39 pm
I have no idea which company manufactured my kids' coats. I suppose I can check the tags if I am curious enough, but I'm not.

Every year on imamother there is some random overpriced, overhyped brand of kids' clothing or shoes that everybody just has to have. If somebody wants to spend their money on it, that's their business, but it pains me to see people who struggle scrape their pennies together to buy their kids overpriced clothing when some other brand will look fine and perform just as well.

Elfrida

Post Sat, Oct 16 2021, 3:45 pm
Hold on wait

The light dawns

I wondered whether they were designed with a Scottish tartan pattern (choose your clan), and maybe particularly warm to get one through a Scottish winter.

amother
Crystal

Post Sat, Oct 16 2021, 5:13 pm
what is a scotch coat??
If you don't have extra money buy the cheapest coat you can find!
Why are you buying brand names if you cant afford them???
I bought adorable ones on ali came in two weeks kids look stunning in them
https://www.aliexpress.com/ite.....sJqE7
super warm

Zehava

Post Sat, Oct 16 2021, 7:48 pm
amother [ Crystal ] wrote:
what is a scotch coat??
super warm

Ali is hit or miss. And if it’s a miss that’s a nice amount of money down the drain. People mainly order them because they’re moncler knockoffs. I ordered once and never again.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sat, Oct 16 2021, 8:02 pm
what is a scotch coat??
super warm

Basics from children's place, gap, landsend are often cheaper for better quality.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sat, Oct 16 2021, 8:15 pm
I splurge on lands end (praying for sales) because of the excellent quality. They last forever and are certified to keep the kids warm. They stopped their “Jewish looking” line though :-(( (my bigger tweens were objecting to wearing brightly colored parkas and wanted something more understated) so we started looking for better quality brands at Burlington coat factory. Also a bit hit or miss (they have one or two of a coat only in certain sizes etc) but it’s half price or less and I can be sure of getting something warm. I can’t bear the thought of my kids going cold.

amother
Obsidian

Post Sat, Oct 16 2021, 8:23 pm
I splurge on lands end (praying for sales) because of the excellent quality. They last forever and are certified to keep the kids warm. They stopped their “Jewish looking” line though :-(( (my bigger tweens were objecting to wearing brightly colored parkas and wanted something more understated) so we started looking for better quality brands at Burlington coat factory. Also a bit hit or miss (they have one or two of a coat only in certain sizes etc) but it’s half price or less and I can be sure of getting something warm. I can’t bear the thought of my kids going cold.

I'm not a teen or a tween, but one reason I buy Landsend is the bright colours. I don't want to be wearing black or navy on a gloomy day. I don't buy the brightest colours, and the pastel ones get filthy and are impractical, but there is a good range that are cheerful but not too bright.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sat, Oct 16 2021, 8:37 pm
You mentioned that you needed help to get services for your special needs child. Ohel has a program that will do testing and help you apply for services.
Hugs to you as we also grew up very poor and I work hard everyday to give my kids what they need. Not what they want that is brand name

amother
Stone

Post Sat, Oct 16 2021, 8:41 pm
I’ve never even heard of these coats. I did struggle to buy coats for my kids for a long time. Bh this year there is an organization that will help with coats (I live in Lakewood). Doubt they’re designer but I can’t relate to caring about that. Presumably they are warm which is what matters.

amother
Crystal

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 6:37 am
Zehava wrote:
Ali is hit or miss. And if it’s a miss that’s a nice amount of money down the drain. People mainly order them because they’re moncler knockoffs. I ordered once and never again.

ok this got me laughing!!!
You cant afford whatever this "scotch coat " is and you have the "chutzpa" and then you complain that moncler is a knockoff (gasp) wow, b/c its not expensive enough so that means its not war/nice enough.
Another point I wish you would all know, is that when you are walking down the street in an expensive coat NOBODY CARES!! You think ppl will look at you and say wow?!?!
erm,
sorry, I'm a little confused...
Personally, my kids are wearing this Ali coat, its warm and so many ppl have stopped me on the street asking me where I got it from, I was so proud to share where I got it from!!
What is going on? ppl spending money they don't have Banging head
My kids are always dressed adorable, so many of my friends ask me where I bought their stuff and I NEVER pay a lot.

amother
Charcoal

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 7:15 am
You cant afford whatever this "scotch coat " is and you have the "chutzpa" and then you complain that moncler is a knockoff (gasp) wow, b/c its not expensive enough so that means its not war/nice enough.
Another point I wish you would all know, is that when you are walking down the street in an expensive coat NOBODY CARES!! You think ppl will look at you and say wow?!?!
erm,
Personally, my kids are wearing this Ali coat, its warm and so many ppl have stopped me on the street asking me where I got it from, I was so proud to share where I got it from!!
My kids are always dressed adorable, so many of my friends ask me where I bought their stuff and I NEVER pay a lot.

People stop you in the street and ask you where you bought your kids coats?
I thought no one cares which coat your kids wear… I thought you said that no one even notices

amother
Lightcoral

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 7:57 am
erm,

I think she said that the ali coats were copies. And where does chutzpa come in?
And why are you shouting?

amother
Hyssop

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 7:59 am
erm,

What understood as hit or miss is you can spend $20 on ali and the coat can be too big or too small or just not fit or broken and you are just stuck with it.
So you may have gotten a deal - but it’s $20 down the drain bec you can’t return it.
For someone who can’t afford a coat that’s a huge loss.
I find if I spend $25 at gap end of season you can get a nice warm down coat and you can return it if it isn’t good. This way there is no loss.
If you don’t need down children’s place is even cheaper and lasts amazing. Great for younger kids not going on bus or ppl that carpool.

I don’t get the mindset of shopping on ali. There is much opportunity to lose the money you spent.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 8:03 am
I found black fur lines coats at lands end in the beginning of the season for $35! My kids love them and they are super warm.

Previously I’ve gotten on sale at Abercrombie.

I don’t like Gap because the zipper usually breaks on me.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics