Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Is there 'out of town' in NJ or NY
Previous  1  2

scientist

Post Sat, Oct 16 2021, 11:51 pm
Staten Island. NYC services. Out of town community.

Last edited by scientist on Sun, Oct 17 2021, 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lightcoral

Post Sat, Oct 16 2021, 11:58 pm
Your example of a short line at the bagel store points out that far enough OOT might be too far for you. I live in a non-materialistc NJ community and my SN child is getting good services but... we don't have a bagel store.

amother
Canary

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 5:09 am
[..

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 6:47 am
amother [ Canary ] wrote:
We just tried this!!! And we are davening hard to move to Brooklyn.
Make sure if you try this that you have transportation if your children go to school in Brooklyn. Try your best to transport all things to SI like jobs, schools therapy centers etc.
After school and therapy in Brooklyn, we get home at around 615 on a good day..... it is not sustainable.

Also make sure you would feel comfortable hashkafa wise. The young families are primarily chassidim moving in. Nice, warm and kind. Chassidim are bringing many new pop up stores and helping to bring more amenities. There are also some MO young Israel younger families.
The middle of the road litvish younger families are very slowly moving in and many left this past summer. Long story short the transportation is a huge challange.

I grew up in SI. This becomes your norm.

scientist

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 7:56 am
We just tried this!!! And we are davening hard to move to Brooklyn.
Make sure if you try this that you have transportation if your children go to school in Brooklyn. Try your best to transport all things to SI like jobs, schools therapy centers etc.
After school and therapy in Brooklyn, we get home at around 615 on a good day..... it is not sustainable.

Also make sure you would feel comfortable hashkafa wise. The young families are primarily chassidim moving in. Nice, warm and kind. Chassidim are bringing many new pop up stores and helping to bring more amenities. There are also some MO young Israel younger families.
The middle of the road litvish younger families are very slowly moving in and many left this past summer. Long story short the transportation is a huge challange.

Perhaps the OP would consider sending her children to Mercaz HaTorah located in Staten Island? They have separate boys and girls divisions. My understanding is that they provide
NYC special education services on site.
ymht.org

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 8:02 am
scientist wrote:
Perhaps the OP would consider sending her children to Mercaz HaTorah located in Staten Island? They have separate boys and girls divisions. My understanding is that they provide
NYC special education services on site.
ymht.org

This. OP hasn’t described herself Religiously so we have no way of knowing if she’s Chassidish and Brooklyn schools are the only option, or not. I went to schools in Brooklyn because that’s all that was available at the time but my younger sister was able to go to local schools and had a completely different experience

amother
Canary

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 8:33 am
amother [ Obsidian ] wrote:
I grew up in SI. This becomes your norm.

Was there at least transportation home?
Or did your parent have to work in Brooklyn in order to meet all the dismissal times and bring you back?

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 8:35 am
Was there at least transportation home?
Or did your parent have to work in Brooklyn in order to meet all the dismissal times and bring you back?

There was bus service that we paid for. I know there are school busses picking up kids on my parents’ block That goes to Brooklyn. Do those busses or schools not work for you?

amother
Diamond

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 8:59 am
Maybe Kew Gardens Hills in Queens? It’s enough in-town that you can travel to many other communities, but still has an out-of-town feel (at least, that’s how I feel) that it doesn’t feel constricted.

nylon

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 8:56 pm
More details are needed to advise. Where I would suggest someone move to if they are looking to send to yeshiva but get services too and where I would suggest they go if they feel their child would be best placed in public school are not the same.

amother
Zinnia

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 9:12 pm
If you are moving for services you probably would want to be in NYC. Bayswater and staten island are both good options. But in general, even Brooklyn isn't as intense as it used to be. Yes, there is traffic, and stores are crowded but the community isn't exploding anymore. Schools aren't as overcrowded. If you live on a nice block with nice neighbors it could work out ok.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating