Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Bidenflation: sticker shock in the grocery!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 11:08 am
Anyone else had sticker shock in the grocery/supermarket lately? Idaho potatoes $1.59 per lb, used to be (recently) $.59 per lb, cost of my (small) potato kugel $7.21. Shoprite sale 3 cases of diet Pepsi or diet coke cans $21, last year it was $12-$15. Two examples of many outrageous prices! Please post if you have had similar sticker shock experiences recently, Bidenfllation really hitting home!!!

small bean

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 11:11 am
It is crazy. I just find sales are not really sales anymore.

Heinz let us know, it is not transitory and this will be the way it is for a long time, so we may as well get used to it. (At least someone is being honest)

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 11:13 am
I shop at aldi. Prices are same as they ever were IMO. I just glanced at shop rite circular and 5lb potatoes are $1.49. 10/10 chobani (same as ever) Prices seem excellent there too

Is this limited to Jewish stores?

Mommy1:)

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 11:14 am
I'm assuming someone reported this thread thinking that it belongs in Politics... But I agree it belongs in finances. The grocery bill has gone up a lot lately, and it's rough to see so few things in the shopping cart with a higher bill.

simcha2

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 11:15 am
Mommy1:) wrote:
I'm assuming someone reported this thread thinking that it belongs in Politics... But I agree it belongs in finances. The grocery bill has gone up a lot lately, and it's rough to see so few things in the shopping cart with a higher bill.

It should be in politics because of the title

If it is just about finances then leave the politics out.

Mommy1:)

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 11:16 am
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
I shop at aldi. Prices are same as they ever were IMO

I shop at Aldis too - but the prices have gone up. Large bags of snacks and cookies are 29+ cents higher (nothing under 1.29, used to see lots for .99), eggs higher, milk costs more, veggies overall cost more and the sizes of the fruits/veggies and packaging is smaller. Sometimes the cost per package is less but often there's less in the package.

Not bashing Aldis, it's this way everywhere.

dankbar

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 11:26 am
Canola oil is $12 a gallon

Laiya

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 11:31 am
They are predicting that the cost of heating this winter will also jump substantially.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 11:34 am
I realize that any connection to politics belongs in that forum but to give the devil it's due, Biden is trying to get cargo ships to port.

Lockdowns that happened last year meant that truck drivers were not being trained and certified and factories all over the world were shuttered by lockdowns.
One approach that I see changing is that before Covid, manufacturers produced in excess of the demand and sold leftover merchandise at a discount or they destroyed it. Now, apparently, manufacturers will take orders and produce accordingly so that very little will be left on the clearance rack. Less waste probably means higher prices.

amother
Starflower

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 11:39 am
I understand that prices have gone up for a number of reasons including a shortage of employees, minimum wages raised, items sitting stuck in transit from other countries. All of this is what it is and the companies must raise prices to stay afloat.

What irks me is supermarkets that buy huge volumes of items and store it. They paid the old prices on those items. Why are they taking advantage of the people and raising prices on those items at this point.

This applies to companies that do a run on cereal and other products twice a year. Yet they still hiked their prices across the board.

Of course, these items would run out and the new ones would get a price hike. However, all the jewish companies had sent letters back in June to the supermarkets about a cross the board hike regardless of whether the particular items cost them more. And over the summer everything got raised.

Given the fact that many of these companies made a lot of money because of all the packages given last year, it really seems like they're taking advantage of the situation.

For instance, I shop at a supermarket where the potatoes have been wet and moldy lookingnfor months. I asked the stock boy what's going on since this supermarket always had great quality potatoes. He explained that they're months and months old and has been stored in the freezer because they bought them very long time ago. Guess what, price on these potatoes sitting I their freezer warehouse, that was bought months Go, keeps going up in price...

amother
Chambray

I’m not sure where you are shopping OP, I was in shoprite yesterday and didn’t see the exorbitant price differences your mentioning..

I just bought 3 cases of coke on sale for $13 (target also had this for $14 I think)

miami85

simcha2 wrote:
It should be in politics because of the title

If it is just about finances then leave the politics out.

But the unfortunate reality is that our entire way of life is due to the current administrations politics--and they WANT is this way.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 11:50 am
Everything has gone up in price, even in supermarkets like target, Walmart etc...I have been cutting costs by buying off-brands instead of the brand names, but prices keep rising. Gas prices are ridiculous too. Thank you Biden and all his supporters!

Raisin

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 11:51 am
This is happening worldwide. In the UK they are blaming brexit.

Other factors are to blame. Mostly we are all just buying more stuff instead of going places, (because of covid) so more ships and trucks are needed and they are all backlogged. Also ports are working more slowly due to covid. (in china a port worker gets covid, the whole port shuts down)
[please feel free to continue in the politics forum - mod]
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics