Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Help! 5 y/o repeats-whispers last syllable of certain words

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 3:34 pm
My 5 y/o son will be talking and will repeat the last syllable of a word in whisper voice that is hard to catch if not looking out for it. For example, he will say "first" then whisper "st". A google search turned up the term palilalia, which sounds scary to me. Does anyone have any advice/experience/ chizuk? I know this forum knows a lot about PANDAS. I really hope it's not that.... My son does have some anxiety/ perfectionistic behavior so I was thinking maybe this could be connected to that or a compulsive behavior, like those in OCD. Another thing, someone pointed out to me recently is that he will cross his fingers when he is nervous, which didn't worry me so much, but maybe another piece of the picture....
Please does anyone have advice/experience?

Thank you!

amother
Daphne

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 3:37 pm
So interesting. My son repeats in a whisper things that we tell him.
“Tomorrow is Shabbos.”
He whispers, “shabbos.”

I never thought much about it- we call them “his secrets”

amother
Ebony

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 3:41 pm
I used to do this. I picked it up from another child who did it. I don't know the underlying reason of that child's speech quirk, but that child also grew out of it and is now an adult with no major issues that I know of. I can't promise that it's never a sign of a problem, but it definitely isn't always.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 3:42 pm
thanks for responding. even though doesn't sound exactly the same, does sound similar. hopefully you're right and it's nothing. I tend to blow things out of proportion. Your comment makes me think that maybe it is just a phase and will go away... I'll wait and see if anyone else responds.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 3:54 pm
I know this isn’t what you want to hear but my pandas kids used to tack a Schwa sound onto the end of each word. It was definitely an ocd. We had a lot of finger posturing also. As well as anxiety and perfectionism. It was all brain inflammation for us.

amother
Daphne

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 4:11 pm
https://www.ahaparenting.com/r.....reath

Even if it is palilalia doesn’t seem scary- seems like a normal thing he will outgrow. You can help him if he’s anxious about something.

amother
Jasmine

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 4:22 pm
My now 6 year old did something similar it was in the midst of the long stay at home Covid lockdown phase so I attributed it to that (she was the one that took it the hardest she thrives on routine and loves school...) Anyways shortly after we were back in school and back to normal or normal ish she stopped it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 5:49 pm
Thank you all for your replies. Very helpful and hopeful. Amother tanzanite, how did you know it was brain inflammation?

amother
Tanzanite

Post Sun, Oct 17 2021, 6:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you all for your replies. Very helpful and hopeful. Amother tanzanite, how did you know it was brain inflammation?
It came and went in a very obvious way with treatment and flares.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics