Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Did not get my second stimulus

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 11:12 am
I just received my 2020 tax return (had to file on paper and it took this long for it to be processed.)

I was supposed to get the second stimulus added to my tax return but I only got the regular amount of the tax return, not the stimulus. We are 2 adults and 5 children under 17, so I should have gotten $4200. I got zero.

I’m very confused what to do now. I downloaded some tax forms that are supposed to show the cheshbon of how they figured out the amount of my tax return but I can’t make heads or tails of them.

What’s next? Call an accountant? A tax attorney? I filed myself using TurboTax.

amother
PlumPink

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 1:53 pm
The IRS calls it the 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit.

Did you claim it? If yes, the IRS should send you a letter why you did not receive it or if amounts were changed.

If you did not claim it, you need to file an amended return.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2.....filed

ETA - what do you mean that you received it? You received a refund, but different than the amount you filed for? The IRS should send you a letter if that is the case.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 1:56 pm
Perhaps the $4,200 was already calculated into your taxes? As in, otherwise you would have owed $4,200? Turbotax is usually pretty good about explaining where tax credits come in, maybe look through your return again

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 1:56 pm
Yes I claimed it as a rebate. I did not get a letter AFAIK telling me how much I should be getting. I thought it would be included in my tax return but I got the amount that I would have gotten minus the stimulus.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 1:57 pm
I would definitely call an accountant at this point. I used turbo tax for over ten years and this was the first year I used an accountant because of all this extra stuff going on with taxes this year

amother
Canary

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 2:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I just received my 2020 tax return (had to file on paper and it took this long for it to be processed.)

I was supposed to get the second stimulus added to my tax return but I only got the regular amount of the tax return, not the stimulus. We are 2 adults and 5 children under 17, so I should have gotten $4200. I got zero.

I’m very confused what to do now. I downloaded some tax forms that are supposed to show the cheshbon of how they figured out the amount of my tax return but I can’t make heads or tails of them.

What’s next? Call an accountant? A tax attorney? I filed myself using TurboTax.

I'm dealing with the same issue - going back from April when I received my refund. My tax return was filled out properly and it was marked that I hadn't received my second stimulus, but it wasn't included in my return or any calculations. My accountant sent a letter to them back in May and I didn't hear a word from them until now- Sukkos. I got a response from the IRS via mail acknowledging my accountants letter and that they'll need 60 days to look into the matter.

During the summer months, I was frustrated with the lack of response. I called the IRS and was told to file form 3911 (download from the IRS site). I did that too, but I haven't received a response to that yet at all. Maybe it also take 4-5 months to get a response to that.

amother
Diamond

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 4:46 pm
hi, accountant here
check line 30 of your federal return and see if the amount says $4200. If yes, then that amount was included in refund. otherwise, it was not included. If line 30 is blank/says another number, then you should probably call an accountant to amend your return so that you get the $4200

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 5:34 pm
amother [ Diamond ] wrote:
hi, accountant here
check line 30 of your federal return and see if the amount says $4200. If yes, then that amount was included in refund. otherwise, it was not included. If line 30 is blank/says another number, then you should probably call an accountant to amend your return so that you get the $4200

Thank you.

I did review my tax return. Line 30 says $4200. I’m not sure how the cheshbon was done, but the total amount of the refund was about $2000 less than what was claimed on my return. And they didn’t flag any errors, so I’m not sure how they came up with that number.

summer0808

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 6:03 pm
the IRS made a lot of mistakes with the recovery rebate credit this year. please dont call an accountant for help if they didnt file the tax return for you. it is very annoying.

best is to call the irs yourself and they'll clear it up. Letters arent helping this year.

amother
PlumPink

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 6:04 pm
Double check the social security numbers of everyone on the return.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics