Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
People who call themselves "gifted" or "empaths" etc
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 4:03 pm
amother [ Clear ] wrote:
I look at it this way. People are endowed with different levels of all kinds of characteristics, such as intelligence, social skills, etc. So some people are endowed with higher levels of empathy. Those people refer to themselves as empaths.

But I think there are those who call themselves empaths who don't belong in that group. Some lack the ability to say no to others on the account of upsetting anyone, but refer to the cause of that as being an empath. Instead of recognizing their lack of ability to set boundaries, its more comforting to label themselves as an empath.

Your describing a codependent.
I'm actually a recovering codependent, and an empath (feels weird referring to myself with this title because I never ever use it)

I don't believe in labels. Sometimes when we try to figure out life situations, titles like these come in handy. In truth, it probably means zero.

Is it a real thing? Yes..should it be dwelled upon and thought about and spoken about? No

amother
Steel

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 4:25 pm
Go ahead and throw tomatoes, but a lot of empath language/definitions sound like woo and pseudoscience to me.

People have varying levels of social and interpersonal skills. Is a person with high levels of these automatically an empath? Ok, fine, but once people throw in to the definition ability to read energy fields and auras, you've lost me.

As for "gifted", well, aren't we all gifted in different areas? I've always been very good with math and statistics. DH has perfect pitch. Are we both gifted in different ways? Yes, as is the rest of humanity.

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 4:27 pm
I’ve read that many things those of us who are empaths or highly intuitive experience are actually trauma responses… makes a lot of sense to me

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 4:39 pm
amother [ Aster ] wrote:
I’ve read that many things those of us who are empaths or highly intuitive experience are actually trauma responses… makes a lot of sense to me

Or...very sensitive people are more likely to become traumatized because of how they internalize everything.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 4:42 pm
amother [ Steel ] wrote:
Go ahead and throw tomatoes, but a lot of empath language/definitions sound like woo and pseudoscience to me.

People have varying levels of social and interpersonal skills. Is a person with high levels of these automatically an empath? Ok, fine, but once people throw in to the definition ability to read energy fields and auras, you've lost me.

As for "gifted", well, aren't we all gifted in different areas? I've always been very good with math and statistics. DH has perfect pitch. Are we both gifted in different ways? Yes, as is the rest of humanity.

Nah, nothing to do with energy fields or auras. Agree with gifted.

tp3

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 4:43 pm
Some people think they are but they really aren't. They get me nervous because they insist things about other people but are way off.

amother
Blueberry

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 4:56 pm
tp3 wrote:
Some people think they are but they really aren't. They get me nervous because they insist things about other people but are way off.

I have predicted every divorce in my social circle, every divorce in my DH's social circle, and all the ones in my parents' social circle. My father will tell you that there was one I was wrong about: that's because the husband died very young. But his widow later told my mother that things were very rocky and they were on the brink.

Sometimes we just know things: and it's not woo, and it's not anything other worldly other than being able to read the room.

tp3

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 5:01 pm
I don't see it as a "we." It's just you, for those instances.

amother
Oleander

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 5:02 pm
Empath makes me think of a book I read about magical- and Empathy was one of their ‘powers’. I don’t think anyone is ‘an empath’. I think there are people who are more empathetic than others.

Zehava

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 5:03 pm
tp3 wrote:

It’s weird to insist. I rarely share my impressions of others or situations unless asked. I definitely wouldn’t insist.

tp3

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 5:06 pm
Zehava wrote:
It’s weird to insist. I rarely share my impressions of others or situations unless asked. I definitely wouldn’t insist.

Yes it's weird. That's why people get me nervous.

amother
Eggshell

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 5:09 pm
I feel it’s a bad thing. I can read people the second I see them, I’m also deeply affected by everyone around me. I have such a difficult time with relationships because of it I would really rather be shallow and not see and hear so much.

amother
Blueberry

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 5:11 pm
tp3 wrote:
I don't see it as a "we." It's just you, for those instances.

According to the work of many scientists, including Dr. Elaine Aron, being an empath isn't just me, it's nearly 20 percent of the population. And she has done brain imaging to show how our brains work differently

tp3

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 5:21 pm
Hammers see nails wherever they look.

amother
Steel

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 5:22 pm
tp3 wrote:

Any time someone insists on telling me that they are an empath and have heightened abilities to read my energy (...or whatever) I figure they're just looking for attention and/or need to feel special.

People who are *actually* good with interpersonal skills understand that most people don't like braggarts.

amother
Blueberry

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 5:25 pm
tp3 wrote:
Hammers see nails wherever they look.

You're denying science? Proven studies?

I'm done.

tp3

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 5:25 pm
amother [ Steel ] wrote:
Any time someone insists on telling me that they are an empath and have heightened abilities to read my energy (...or whatever) I figure they're just looking for attention and/or need to feel special.

People who are *actually* good with interpersonal skills understand that most people don't like braggarts.

I believe it exists but I take it with a grain of salt.
People who insist they see things about others and then become life coaches, whatever I stay away from that type.

youngishbear

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 7:01 pm
amother [ Steel ] wrote:

Are empaths necessarily good with interpersonal skills? I understood they absorb all emotions around them and take them in way too deeply.

The trauma response sounds true to me based on some people I know.

STMommy

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 7:30 pm
Question- is empath just further or furthest along on the Highly Sensitive Person continuum or is it a completely separate thing?

amother
Vanilla

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 7:42 pm
For many years I thought I was gifted and an empath. Turns out I’m on the spectrum. Who knew.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette