Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Any estate lawyer here I could ask a question?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 6:13 pm
I did a favor for an elderly person with no family. He asked me to help him with his car which I did and I brought it to my house as he asked me.
Unfortunately before he paid me he passed away.
My question is how much to charge for my time to his estate? I know I could but not sure how much?
Also could I charge for storage of his car?
The executor told me to bring the car to the mans house but I didnt think it was my responsibility at that point but the responsibility of the executor.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 7:49 pm
what state?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 8:59 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
what state?

New York

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 9:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I did a favor for an elderly person with no family. He asked me to help him with his car which I did and I brought it to my house as he asked me.
My question is how much to charge for my time to his estate? I know I could but not sure how much?
The executor told me to bring the car to the mans house but I didnt think it was my responsibility at that point but the responsibility of the executor.

What did you actually do for him, aside from drive his car to your house? Also why did he want to keep his car at your house?

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 9:09 pm
Why is it considered a favor if you would like to get paid? Would you have asked for payment if he wouldn’t have passed? Did you layout money on his behalf?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 10:01 pm
amother [ Bottlebrush ] wrote:
Why is it considered a favor if you would like to get paid? Would you have asked for payment if he wouldn’t have passed? Did you layout money on his behalf?

Not sure why I need to answer but I will.
No if he was alive I wouldn't of asked for payment for my time, I would of done it as a chesed but now he isn't alive the lawyer that is dealing with his estate said I could get paid for my time. Can't ask the lawyer because it's a conflict of interest.
I also laid out money for fixing his car I need to get back.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 10:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Not sure why I need to answer but I will.
No if he was alive I wouldn't of asked for payment for my time, I would of done it as a chesed but now he isn't alive the lawyer that is dealing with his estate said I could get paid for my time. Can't ask the lawyer because it's a conflict of interest.
I also laid out money for fixing his car I need to get back.

If you have receipts for what you laid out, show the receipts.

I don't know about time. It doesn't sound like what you helped him with was in your professional capacity. In other words, if you're an accountant and you filed his income tax returns, you can say that your standard rate for filing tax returns is x dollars. If you're a car mechanic, you can say that the work you did on his car is something you would typically charge whatever sum.

But it sounds like you drove him places or drove his car to the shop as a friendly neighbor? How many hours did you spend? What amount do you think is reasonable?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 10:43 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
If you have receipts for what you laid out, show the receipts.

I don't know about time. It doesn't sound like what you helped him with was in your professional capacity. In other words, if you're an accountant and you filed his income tax returns, you can say that your standard rate for filing tax returns is x dollars. If you're a car mechanic, you can say that the work you did on his car is something you would typically charge whatever sum.

But it sounds like you drove him places or drove his car to the shop as a friendly neighbor? How many hours did you spend? What amount do you think is reasonable?

The lawyer said I should give him a bill for my time. That's not my problem. I spent maybe 5 hours and will charge 50 an hour.
My question is if I could charge storage fee for storing the car.
Was it the executors business to pick the car up from me or not. He is getting paid for dealing with the estate not me.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 11:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The lawyer said I should give him a bill for my time. That's not my problem. I spent maybe 5 hours and will charge 50 an hour.
My question is if I could charge storage fee for storing the car.
Was it the executors business to pick the car up from me or not. He is getting paid for dealing with the estate not me.

What's your basis for charging $50 an hour?

Do you have time records to demonstrate that you worked "maybe" 5 hours -- the executor will look for exact times and dates, not an estimate, an possibly proof.

Where was the car stored? Was it in an actual garage? Driveway? Probably about $10 a day.

amother
Peru

Post Mon, Oct 18 2021, 11:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

To me it sounds like if you were going to do it as a chesed, you still should do it as a chesed. Who are the inheritors of his will?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries