Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Names you're in love with but could never use
Previous  1  2  3  4

shaqued_almond

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 8:48 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
How does Shani = shuv nolda bat?
ש נ י
Not
ש נ ב

Sorry, I meant shuv nolad yalda

amother
Cornsilk

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 9:41 am
Sarah and Miriam and probably Rus.

imaima

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 9:49 am
Ahuva, Batsheva and Hadassah are now forever tainted for me because of Ahuva-overdose in this forum.

amother
Moonstone

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 9:50 am
shaqued_almond wrote:

What does this mean?

shaqued_almond

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 9:58 am
amother [ Moonstone ] wrote:
What does this mean?

Again a daughter was born

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 1:34 pm
B"H my community is very mixed so kids' names run the gamut from Fraidy-Frummie-Yentel to Liat-Diva-Tal. We chose first names that sound modern Israeli but are of Biblical origin, with middle names either taken from deceased relatives or chosen because we liked them.

Not till I joined imamother did I ever dream there are so many "things" about naming a child. Why do people feel it necessary to make a religious fixation out of everything?

nnmom

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 1:49 pm
imaima wrote:
Ahuva, Batsheva and Hadassah are now forever tainted for me because of Ahuva-overdose in this forum.

Overuse or overdose?

imaima

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 1:59 pm
nnmom wrote:
Overuse or overdose?

Overdose of my reading about it.

busy mommy

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 2:19 pm
I love the name Mia! I have other family names that need to come first though.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 2:52 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
It’s in the Gemara. The fact that it isn’t used nowadays is my main strike against it…

Todros is a corruption of Theodoros, meaning "gift of G-d," was very popular among early Christians and was the name of many "saints." A lot of "heilige" Yiddish names are corruptions of Greek,Latin and other foreign names. Feivel is a corruption of Phoebus, Greek sun god. Shraga Feivel, Shraga meaning "light" is a very pagan name! Yenta? A corruption of the French Gentille, meaning "gentle." How that morphed into meaning "busybody" is a mystery. But from common use in Jewish communities, these utterly foreign if not downright pagan names acquired a patina of respectability and are considered "very frum" names while Biblical names like Ehud and Eitan are disparaged as "modern" names unfit for a frum person.

amother
Pistachio

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 4:12 pm
I always said if I have another daughter, I’ll call her Nili. Love the way it sounds and love what it’s an acronym for. Well, I never had another daughter. Hopefully one of my kids will choose that name. They know how much I love it😊

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 6:37 pm
Adam

chanatron1000

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 6:59 pm
amother [ Antiquewhite ] wrote:
Todros is a corruption of Theodoros, meaning "gift of G-d," was very popular among early Christians and was the name of many "saints." A lot of "heilige" Yiddish names are corruptions of Greek,Latin and other foreign names. Feivel is a corruption of Phoebus, Greek sun god. Shraga Feivel, Shraga meaning "light" is a very pagan name! Yenta? A corruption of the French Gentille, meaning "gentle." How that morphed into meaning "busybody" is a mystery. But from common use in Jewish communities, these utterly foreign if not downright pagan names acquired a patina of respectability and are considered "very frum" names while Biblical names like Ehud and Eitan are disparaged as "modern" names unfit for a frum person.

The meaning comes from a character with that name.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 7:11 pm
shaqued_almond wrote:

Ah.

By the same token, though, it could mean, "shuv nolad yeled."

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 8:02 pm
amother [ Seablue ] wrote:
Also, in a community where a certain name isn't the typical, why would you want to name your child a certain way when he/she will be the only one at school with that name?

Because a person's name is so much more than just their community. A child will only be a child for so long. How common or uncommon their name is in their school vs the lifetime of meaningfulness their names might carry or the beauty it represents to their parents... it's not even a question in my mind.

I have two children with names that are very uncommon in our circles. They have been the only ones with their names in every school they've gone to. Same for me with my name, by the way. But my kids' names bring me so much joy and they both love them, and I never had any problems having a unique name myself. So I fail to see what the big deal is.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names