Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Sticker shock!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 1:43 am
Has anyone else seen the crazy prices for basics at the store? I am talking mostly about groceries but also other necessities like socks etc. Sticker shock indeed!
Trying to figure out how to keep on budget... it was one thing during the height of covid when nothing was on sale and you grabbed any TP you saw, any flour etc because there were none so higher prices were understandable. But now the shelves are full but the prices are still so much higher!
Frum brands, off/store brands and major brands. Eek!

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 4:53 am
There was a post about this a few days ago. I responded that larger stores like shop rite still seem to have low prices

English3

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 4:59 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
There was a post about this a few days ago. I responded that larger stores like shop rite still seem to have low prices

That is how they shut small businesses down.

singleagain

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 5:37 am
Larger stores are able to buy items in huge quantities.. I'm taking several hundred shelf stable pallets, at a time... Bc they have huge warehouses that they can put the stuff and ship it to all of their locations in the twenty or whatever radius of that warehouse.

Small stores just don't have that kind of space. So they can't buy in bulk and don't get as good pricing. Then if they don't want to lose money they can't sell you too many items below what they paid for it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 2:03 pm
Ok, I get the difference between big and small stores. But even major retailers have their prices higher than last year or pre-covid. 2 Liter soda used to be .79 or .89 on sale, 1.50 if not. Now sale is 3/$5 and a really good week is 99 cents. Just as an example. Sales on produce arent that great, prices on milk, cereal, oatmeal, flour... all have gone up. And I dont buy heimish brands.
Kroger, Safeway.. prices are up everywhere.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 2:06 pm
Prices are up across the board. I have been buying when things are on sale, and buying off-brands instead of the brand names. Unfortunately, they are just predicting prices will keep rising.
[political comment removed]

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 2:11 pm
English3 wrote:
That is how they shut small businesses down.

I don’t know who they is. It’s well known that large chains have more buying power and can offer lower prices. As a consumer I’m not doing charity, I shop where the deals are. If you’re prices are lower I’m going to you.

singleagain

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 2:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ok, I get the difference between big and small stores. But even major retailers have their prices higher than last year or pre-covid. 2 Liter soda used to be .79 or .89 on sale, 1.50 if not. Now sale is 3/$5 and a really good week is 99 cents. Just as an example. Sales on produce arent that great, prices on milk, cereal, oatmeal, flour... all have gone up. And I dont buy heimish brands.
Kroger, Safeway.. prices are up everywhere.

Fuel and shipping costs has gone up since covid... In part due to labor shortages and in part due to just cost of living increases.

Amarante

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 2:20 pm
Prices are up for a variety of reasons. Shipping costs are up. Labor costs for drivers are up. Raw materials for building is up - all of that ultimately impacts the cost of consumer goods since you are paying for all of the components to manufacture and deliver the product as well as the expenses and overhead of the store you are buying from.

Big stores have always had an economic advantage since they started replacing the corner grocery stores at the end of WW II.

Small stores survive because they provide a niche in some way to consumers. They either provide unique goods; are very convenient and/or they provide high levels of service. A hardware store can't compete with Home Depot unless they provide excellent service as well as a good mixture of products designed for their consumer. A really good fruit store can possibly exist in a neighborhood where people are willing to pay the prices for the quality - there is a fruit store on Avenue J or CIA which has been in existence for almost forever and charges high prices but has amazing quality as well as specializing in providing baskets and gifts.

However it is almost impossible for a small store to exist by selling fungible consumer goods like toilet paper because almost every consumer is going to seek the lowest price. The best a small grocery store (for example) can do is to keep it in stock and hope that when someone comes in they will buy some rolls because it doesn't pay to go someplace cheaper for that errand.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 5:25 pm
I was in Costco yesterday, lots of things went up there too
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics