Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
After business hours

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 2:22 am
Do you get bothered from your boss after your done for the day? Yet By me it's gotten out of line! Vent!!!

amother
Peony

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 2:25 am
I do, but was told that was part of this job when I had an interview. I wanted to know how often, what it would look like, etc. It's very infrequent and only for something important.

If I wasn't told that I'd just put my phone on silent after works and ignore all business things.

amother
Buttercup

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 7:05 am
I do, and my boss is taking advantage of me and my coworkers bec we need our jobs to pay our bills....my boss even started making meetings at 7:15 am despite our workday beginning at 8 am and if we are 2 min late its a big deal....the problem is we workers need to say no and not go at 7:15 am, but some of us are new and afraid to do that which is why the boss takes advantage....

is it only my place of work or is it the new thing that many high paying jobs expect workers to be "on call" despite the fact that its after hours??

I think it might be because now there is so much access to us via technology that bosses forget boundaries and take advantage...all I can say about this is that these bosses are evil and inhumane...they would not want to be treated like they treat their workers....

op, im sorry if your boss is reaching out to you after hours, if you can ignore it, so he gets the message that you are not available after hours, but I know some bosses expect workers to always be "on call".

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 7:13 am
If you don't put boundaries in the beginning this is what happens.

amother
Molasses

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 9:40 am
amother [ Buttercup ] wrote:
I do, and my boss is taking advantage of me and my coworkers bec we need our jobs to pay our bills....my boss even started making meetings at 7:15 am despite our workday beginning at 8 am and if we are 2 min late its a big deal....the problem is we workers need to say no and not go at 7:15 am, but some of us are new and afraid to do that which is why the boss takes advantage....

is it only my place of work or is it the new thing that many high paying jobs expect workers to be "on call" despite the fact that its after hours??

I think it might be because now there is so much access to us via technology that bosses forget boundaries and take advantage...all I can say about this is that these bosses are evil and inhumane...they would not want to be treated like they treat their workers....

op, im sorry if your boss is reaching out to you after hours, if you can ignore it, so he gets the message that you are not available after hours, but I know some bosses expect workers to always be "on call".

It's your responsibility. Don't blame it on your boss. Bosses will try their luck and push boundaries. It's your job to be firm.

zaq

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 11:14 am
If your job is not one that requires you to be on call, don’t answer your boss’s phone calls or texts after hours.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 11:46 am
If it’s not the kind of job that requires after-work hours then you can respond (or send an email the next morning) saying that once you leave for the day, you are done work for the day and you would appreciate him wait until the next morning to discuss anything work related

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 12:53 pm
amother [ Molasses ] wrote:
It's your responsibility. Don't blame it on your boss. Bosses will try their luck and push boundaries. It's your job to be firm.

I completely disagree. I NEVER ask my employees to work after hours unless I pay them extra and they want the extra hours. A boss isn't allowed to take advantage of his/her employees halachically and I assume legally also.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 12:57 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
I completely disagree. I NEVER ask my employees to work after hours unless I pay them extra and they want the extra hours. A boss isn't allowed to take advantage of his/her employees halachically and I assume legally also.

She didn’t say they are allowed to. She said they will try to. I think it is a sweeping ( and inaccurate) generalization.
But just for the record, you asking and your employees being allowed to refuse is exactly what she’s talking about. You ask, even offer extra pay. If your employees want to work extra, they will. If they don’t want to, no harm done. Healthy boundaries there.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 1:02 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
She didn’t say they are allowed to. She said they will try to. I think it is a sweeping ( and inaccurate) generalization.
But just for the record, you asking and your employees being allowed to refuse is exactly what she’s talking about. You ask, even offer extra pay. If your employees want to work extra, they will. If they don’t want to, no harm done. Healthy boundaries there.

Asking an employee to work extra hours a couple of times a year is not pushing boundaries or taking advantage by any means. It's not like texting or calling or trying to contact an employee after hours. Not at all.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 1:04 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Asking an employee to work extra hours a couple of times a year is not pushing boundaries or taking advantage by any means. It's not like texting or calling or trying to contact an employee after hours. Not at all.

As the employee you might think it is, especially if you think you have no choice but to say yes.

mha3484

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 1:10 pm
Yes. My boss occasionally asks me send a quick email in the evening but I have no issue saying sure I can do this in an hour or after 8pm etc. He also looks the other way when I am late or need to take a phone call or leave a few minutes early. We have a mutual respect. I am no doormat but I am happy to help out when I can.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics