Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Massage for ADHD?? Anyone tried?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 6:55 am
Last night I gave my son a massage for 25 minutes and he fell asleep quicker than usual. In the morning he told me that it was so relaxing. I always thought he couldn't fall asleep at night because he has too much energy and would tell him to do jumping jacks or run up and down the steps. Now I see that he needs to be grounded. It got me thinking that maybe having him go for a massage every week can also help him ground. Anyone tried that?

What are other good ways to help him ground?

Thanks in advance. A mom who's child is on meds and it just isn't enough.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 7:24 am
I have ADHD and I do meditations at night to fall asleep, and its a different sleep entirely. The notion that activity gets out your energy DOES NOT WORK on ADHD folks, it just riles us up more. ADHD children need a night time routine that takes into account that it will take them a while to calm down and fall asleep. They need the lights dimmed, the room quiet.

As far as weekly massage to give him additional relaxation, I've never heard of this, but it might help, and interested to hear more from other women. I've heard that craniosacral massage might also help for this sort of thing, but I know nothing about it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 11:02 am
Thanks so much amethyst!!

Would you mind sharing what he can do in school to ground himself throughout the day? Have you had success with this kind of thing?

paperflowers

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 11:22 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks so much amethyst!!

Would you mind sharing what he can do in school to ground himself throughout the day? Have you had success with this kind of thing?

Maybe try a snug undershirt like this one: https://funandfunction.com/sen......html to help him feel more grounded at school.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 12:33 pm
paperflowers wrote:
Maybe try a snug undershirt like this one: https://funandfunction.com/sen......html to help him feel more grounded at school.

Thanks so much! Just ordered.

amother
Offwhite

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 12:36 pm
Weighted blanket?

Kids with adhd are often “wired but tired” in that their bodies desperately need sleep but their brains don’t know how to wind down. Epsom salt baths work really well here, they are very calming for the nervous system. Gaba and l theanine help with relaxing and falling asleep as well.

amother
Sage

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 12:45 pm
Rhythmic movement helps us a lot. It’s basic and easy to do and you see almost immediately results.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Tue, Oct 19 2021, 1:32 pm
I have ADHD and sometimes I just ask DH to lay in my bed for a bit (we don't enjoy sleeping in same bed) even if he's reading or watching something, while I fall asleep. It helps me wind down.

(I'm not talking about DTD which sometimes calms me and sometimes energizes me. Just having someone next to me.)

If your massage helps, keep doing it!! It doesn't have to be professional!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)