Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
How to Save Brownies

BH Yom Yom

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 10:06 am
Recently made a batch of brownies and put in way too much coconut oil by mistake (planning on using regular oil from now on!). The brownies were very very oily, which was a little bit gross but not terrible. The issue is that the coconut flavor is ridiculously strong (and smelly), stronger than I’ve ever experienced before. Any tips to save or repurpose the brownies? They taste more or less decent but the oil is overpowering. TIA!

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 10:12 am
I love coconut. Think of it as a Mounds bar!

Pulse the brownies in a food processor until you have crumbs. Press the crumbs in a pie tin, and then fill with slightly softened ice cream of your choice. Sprinkle some crumbs on the top for decoration, and then freeze. Now you have fancy ice cream pie!

The brownie crumbs can be frozen for several months. Make sure they are sealed well, and not placed near anything that has onions or garlic, because the smell can get through the plastic.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 11:01 am
I was going to suggest similar to FF, chop up and mix into ice cream. The only thing is that the coconut oil gets very hard in the fridge (let alone the freezer) so I would probably toss it in at room temp right before serving. If you do go the ice cream cake route - I'd just keep the brownie crust very thin.

Coconut oil is funny. I use it often in baking and my family loves it but I definitely have had several guests who were really turned off by it. It's not for everyone.

BH Yom Yom

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 11:36 am
Thank you both so much! I used to be able to use coconut oil without a problem but just in the past couple of years I’ve become very sensitive to the smell of it. Go figure. What

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 11:44 am
BH Yom Yom wrote:
Thank you both so much! I used to be able to use coconut oil without a problem but just in the past couple of years I’ve become very sensitive to the smell of it. Go figure. What

Check Amazon. Not all coconut oils are made alike. People want the benefits, but don't always want the taste. Some oil is "extra virgin, unscented" type. It costs more, but it is certainly less "coconutty". (Spellcheck says that's an actual word! LOL )

BH Yom Yom

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 1:40 pm
Made an ice cream pie thing with a separate crust (flour, cocoa, canola oil, a little water, simple syrup to hold it together), mixed brownies with pareve vanilla ice cream and spread on top, and drizzled chocolate syrup over the whole thing. It’s in the freezer now! Hope it tastes good!

BH Yom Yom

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 9:11 pm
Tried a little bit of it tonight and it still tastes overwhelmingly like coconut oil!! Banging head very disappointed especially because it feels like such a waste not to eat it. But I don’t know if anyone else will be able to tolerate the taste.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins