Home

Please tell me about OA!

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Women's Health -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 2:31 pm
I spoke with a few medical field ppl - dr nurse etc
All agreed I need OA, regular nutritionist doesn’t work for me Sad
So what am I allowed on OA? I know I have to get a sponsor etc
But want to know what I’m getting myself into!
Back to top

amother




Pistachio
 

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 2:33 pm
I’m doing GREYSHEET now
Only thing that works for me
Back to top

amother




Indigo
 

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 2:49 pm
There are different plans in OA
I ate 3 big meals with nothing in between
I did very well while I was on it
20 pounds off the first month and then around 10 the next 2.
First 2 weeks were super hard then I lost my cravings
Back to top

amother




Pistachio
 

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 3:22 pm
It is a plan of honesty
Only works if you are willing to be honest
With yourself and others
You will need to put yourself out there

You should listen to meetings and see if you hear your story

https://greysheetmeetings.org/meetings/
Back to top

andrea levy




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 4:33 pm
My response encompasses the ten years I was active in oa.

I think the 12 steps are amazing. So are the 12 traditions. Full stop.

I had good guidance e from many more senior OA folks and my sponsor hurt me more than anyone else in my entire life

I was abstinent in is using various food plans but apparently all of them had too many carbs for me, because it was on my later, when I had given up on oa and went very low carb, that I finally found peace with food. In oa, Even over long periods of time that I was abstinent, I had to work SO hard to stay out of the food. I was completely non attentive to my kids and husband. I was distracted all the time by step work. Eventually, I have up and list all hope since in the rooms, they basically say that if this does t work, nothing will. It’s the last station for the train. When I left the programme I was just as sick with food and equally as hopeless about it how er the tools given to me by step work we’re amazing and made a big difference in other parts of my life even when I gave up on food.

That said, I think my ten years in the rooms mattered a lot. I think that had I not had that experience, I don’t know if I’d have recognized when my Miracle happened. Once I had my crisis and changed to a food plan that would solve my health crisis ( very low carb) I inadvertently solved my eating disorder. There are a lot of reasons why this works for me. I think had I had the food plan I have now while in oa, it would have been better for me.

I was devastated after my sponsor hurt me so badly and I Decided I never wanted anything but a process relationship with a food mentor after that. I got hooked up with the local anxiety clinic and for the past 24 years, they’ve been my mental health professionals. As of four Plus years ago, I’m my own food guide. I work hard on learning and understanding and tweaking and most importantly, keeping on keeping on.

I don’t weigh or measure. I have very strong boundaries around what I eat. I fast intermittently and I eat to satiety. There’s been a learning curve but it’s been almost 4.5 years and still going strong.

Good luck with your food journey. I don’t regret my experience, it just wasn’t enough. For me, the carbs had to be removed to feel peace with food.
Back to top

amother




Pistachio
 

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 4:41 pm
andrea levy wrote:
My response encompasses the ten years I was active in oa.

I think the 12 steps are amazing. So are the 12 traditions. Full stop.

I had good guidance e from many more senior OA folks and my sponsor hurt me more than anyone else in my entire life

I was abstinent in is using various food plans but apparently all of them had too many carbs for me, because it was on my later, when I had given up on oa and went very low carb, that I finally found peace with food. In oa, Even over long periods of time that I was abstinent, I had to work SO hard to stay out of the food. I was completely non attentive to my kids and husband. I was distracted all the time by step work. Eventually, I have up and list all hope since in the rooms, they basically say that if this does t work, nothing will. It’s the last station for the train. When I left the programme I was just as sick with food and equally as hopeless about it how er the tools given to me by step work we’re amazing and made a big difference in other parts of my life even when I gave up on food.

That said, I think my ten years in the rooms mattered a lot. I think that had I not had that experience, I don’t know if I’d have recognized when my Miracle happened. Once I had my crisis and changed to a food plan that would solve my health crisis ( very low carb) I inadvertently solved my eating disorder. There are a lot of reasons why this works for me. I think had I had the food plan I have now while in oa, it would have been better for me.

I was devastated after my sponsor hurt me so badly and I Decided I never wanted anything but a process relationship with a food mentor after that. I got hooked up with the local anxiety clinic and for the past 24 years, they’ve been my mental health professionals. As of four Plus years ago, I’m my own food guide. I work hard on learning and understanding and tweaking and most importantly, keeping on keeping on.

I don’t weigh or measure. I have very strong boundaries around what I eat. I fast intermittently and I eat to satiety. There’s been a learning curve but it’s been almost 4.5 years and still going strong.

Good luck with your food journey. I don’t regret my experience, it just wasn’t enough. For me, the carbs had to be removed to feel peace with food.


Which oa plan were you on
I’m doing GREYSHEET
AND I only pick berries for my fruit
I also only use low carb, 8oz, veggies and don’t use any sweetners at all
I limit dairy due to its carb count
It has been a G-D sent for me
Back to top

andrea levy




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 5:33 pm
amother [ Pistachio ] wrote:
Which oa plan were you on
I’m doing GREYSHEET
AND I only pick berries for my fruit
I also only use low carb, 8oz, veggies and don’t use any sweetners at all
I limit dairy due to its carb count
It has been a G-D sent for me


At the time I was on it, it was mandatory to have it exactly as it was which included grains and fruit. I could not handle it. It was too much for me. It was also low fat by the way, so it was like every other fad diet that was low calorie.
Back to top

amother




Chestnut
 

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 5:34 pm
I did it for 3 months but it wasn't for me.
I gained 10 lbs when I went off and started eating normal healthy food. But after a few weeks I'm losing again. I learned a lot and I think it was valuable but it took over my life and I wanted to enjoy normal life.
Back to top

amother




Oatmeal
 

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 5:35 pm
I'm on greysheet for 17 years. I'm maintaining a 80-90 lb weight loss. I had 2 babies during that time.
The change to a normal size body is something I am still amazed and grateful for today,, but the almost total disappearance of food cravings is what is probably most miraculous. The change in me as a person due to 12 stepwork has been lifechanging as well. 12 step work teaches me a way of thinking, living, interacting with others that brings me peace and serenity.
Any OA/12 step program is work on the body and thoughts/behaviors that doesn't stop when you hit goal weight. It's a continuous process. I never never never want to be the obese, unhealthy emotional wreck I was before and that gives me the joyful drive to do my program every day. I want to keep my miracle alive.
Back to top

amother




Oatmeal
 

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 5:37 pm
amother [ Pistachio ] wrote:
Which oa plan were you on
I’m doing GREYSHEET
AND I only pick berries for my fruit
I also only use low carb, 8oz, veggies and don’t use any sweetners at all
I limit dairy due to its carb count
It has been a G-D sent for me


greysheet allows no calorie sweeteners, drinks and gum, some dairy (milk? cheese, yogurt) and 8 oz low glycemic fruit 1 x a day
Back to top

amother




Oatmeal
 

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 5:38 pm
andrea levy wrote:
At the time I was on it, it was mandatory to have it exactly as it was which included grains and fruit. I could not handle it. It was too much for me. It was also low fat by the way, so it was like every other fad diet that was low calorie.
[I]

greysheet has never included grains and is not low fat. perhaps you tried another OA program
Back to top

amother




Oatmeal
 

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 5:40 pm
greysheet.org has links to daily live zoom meetings. join us and see what it's about
Back to top

DVOM




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 7:53 pm
I've been on OA for the past 8.5 years.

It's been life changing for me. I've maintained a weight loss of about 100 lbs.

Check out avision4you.com. There are 2 vision oa phone meetings every day.
Back to top

andrea levy




 
 
 
 

Post Wed, Oct 20 2021, 11:05 pm
amother [ Oatmeal ] wrote:
[I]

greysheet has never included grains and is not low fat. perhaps you tried another OA program


Also any plan that makes me eat low fat meats and measures the fat intake is low fat in my estimation. Solos potatoes were in the plan as I recall. No flour or sugar but other grains and whole grains were a definite part of it.

My lived experience is my lived experience. I was actively involved in many meetings a week in many different locations over that time. Including conventions in Canada and USA in various locations. Retreats, too.

I was not someone who went a few times and stopped.
Back to top

amother




Oatmeal
 

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 12:41 am
andrea levy wrote:
Also any plan that makes me eat low fat meats and measures the fat intake is low fat in my estimation. Solos potatoes were in the plan as I recall. No flour or sugar but other grains and whole grains were a definite part of it.

My lived experience is my lived experience. I was actively involved in many meetings a week in many different locations over that time. Including conventions in Canada and USA in various locations. Retreats, too.

I was not someone who went a few times and stopped.


I've been on greysheet for 17 years. I can pick any proteins... their fat intake is a non issue. Grains and potatos are a huge NO... so I understand that the program you tried did not work for you but the plan you are describing is definitely not greysheet.
Back to top

amother




Oatmeal
 

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 12:56 am
]
Back to top

amother




Pistachio
 

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 3:20 pm
amother [ Oatmeal ] wrote:
I've been on greysheet for 17 years. I can pick any proteins... their fat intake is a non issue. Grains and potatos are a huge NO... so I understand that the program you tried did not work for you but the plan you are describing is definitely not greysheet.


This
Definitely not
The program is
Protein
Raw veg
Cooked veg
Fruit
Fat
All from a list
No potato, No peas, No corn, No rice, No oatmeal
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Women's Health -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Tell me about a good pillow
by Iymnok
4 Yesterday at 10:47 am View last post
by lfab
Tell me abt monsey
by amother
9 Mon, Nov 29 2021, 9:31 pm View last post
Tell me it can turn out okay…
by amother
8 Mon, Nov 29 2021, 5:06 pm View last post
Please tell me about your fall sheital. ty
by amother
4 Sun, Nov 21 2021, 8:42 pm View last post
Tell me about... (Game) 1687 Sat, Nov 20 2021, 5:18 pm View last post