Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Dishwasher for dummies

mybusyima

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 12:27 pm
I grew up without one and I have no clue what to do....
What setting do I use?
Also, do people use it daily? Or wait until they have enough to fill it? I ran it once, and the cycle took like an hour and a half. Is that normal? I could wash those dishes in 15 minutes!

teachkids

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 12:42 pm
The manual will tell you the settings. I use the normal one.
I run my milchig dishwasher every night since I need bottles and pump parts cleaned. Fleshig I run when it's full or I'm out of dishes.
Mine takes about 2 hours to run. I turn it on before I go to bed and have clean dishes in the morning.

Amarante

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 12:45 pm
Read the instruction manual as all dishwashers are different.

Some people use the different settings but my needs were pretty basic so I generally just used the standard one. But again, read the manual so that you can pick the one that makes most sense for your needs.

Keep in mind that you shouldn't rinse dishes before loading because modern detergent actually needs some of the debris on the dishes to work properly. You obviously scrape large amounts of food off the plates but rinsing to put in the dishwasher defeats the purpose. The exception might be if you have something that really dries hard like eggs and you are leaving it in the machine for awhile before washing.

The length of the cycle really depends on the machine and of course the setting. I have a Bosch and it does have a long cycle for a standard load but what do I care because I turn on the machine and forget about it.

Oldest

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 12:50 pm
I generally use the normal setting when washing. I usually wait until its full to run it. Nowaday's thats daily but when I first got married it was every couple days.
1.5 hrs is normal. And yes you can technically wash the dishes yourself sooner, but this definitely makes things easier. Just stick the dishes in and forget about it. Use the time to do something else that needs to be done. I usually run it before bed and wake up to clean dishes that I didn't wash...

Elfrida

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 1:48 pm
I don't have one now, but did growing up. We waited until it was full before running it.

I remember once it seriously broke and took a couple of weeks to replace. My father appointed himself Head Dish Washer, and one of us was his assistant each meal. My mother said that was a pleasure having clean dishes after each meal, instead of waiting two or three days for the dishwasher to fill up.

mybusyima

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 2:15 pm
I don't have the manual, our house came with it, I guess I'll search online. Thanks everyone! So dirty dishes sit in there for a few days? Kind of grosses me out
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics