Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
1st grade updates

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 2:27 pm
Can anyone tell me what’s normal for curriculum updates from both secular studies and Hebrew studies teachers for a 1st grader?

1) Whats included in the updates?
2) How specific are they?
3) How frequently do you receive them?
4) What day and time of the week generally do you get them- and is it printed out or emailed?

Thank you

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 2:28 pm
I have a 1st grader but I have no idea what you’re taking about re: updates

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 2:47 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
I have a 1st grader but I have no idea what you’re taking about re: updates

My daughter is in a new day school this year. Last year she was in a different litvish day school and we got weekly updates about what the kids were doing in school and the curriculum

amother
Kiwi

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 2:53 pm
Our school has a weekly newsletter that shares a few paragraphs about what each grade is up to. The newsletter alternates between secular and Judaics, every other week.

But the newsletter updates may not reflect where each kid is. It's more of a snapshot of where the middle of the class is.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 2:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My daughter is in a new day school this year. Last year she was in a different litvish day school and we got weekly updates about what the kids were doing in school and the curriculum

This may be school dependent. We don’t get updates. Sometimes there’s a newsletter on Friday where we get updates from her teachers (written) but that’s pretty much it. We have the teachers contact info and can reach out if we have specific questions or concerns (I don’t)

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 2:56 pm
Is this a fancy term for "parsha sheets"?
Every week my children get parsha sheets which go thru the main subjects and what they learned that week. It will also include skills they are focusing on- from holding a pencil properly to social skills middos programs etc.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 2:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Primary and first grade are very different.
In primary I find you get both hebrew and English summary of what was learned that week.
In first grade there is no more newsletter.

amother
Banana

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 3:01 pm
Newsletter on Friday for Hebrew.
I’m not sure re English? I think we got one or two letters from the teacher.

mha3484

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 3:24 pm
I have a son in 1st grade. Rebbe sends a newsletter each week. The morah does not but she does a weekly homework packet so I can see what they are learning that week. My oldest is in 5th grade and its been my experience that the teachers send a weekly letter saying what concepts they learned and any notices for parents.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 3:47 pm
We get a weekly newsletter, basically a paper with a few paragraphs. Thursday for English and Friday for Hebrew. It stops at some point not sure when but my fifth grader doesn’t get any.

mha3484

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 3:49 pm
amother [ Lemonlime ] wrote:
We get a weekly newsletter, basically a paper with a few paragraphs. Thursday for English and Friday for Hebrew. It stops at some point not sure when but my fifth grader doesn’t get any.

My 5th grade son has rebbe for English. He sends home a sheet called what we covered today it has each subject and the boys write in what they did and an adult has to sign it. Its simple and great.

keym

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 4:11 pm
My primary, 1st and 2nd grade boys Rebbeim all sent home a Parsha "booklet".
Page 1 was in chumash, we covered these pesukim, we learned this Halacha, we reviewed this kria rule, etc.
Also a place for mazel Tov.
2nd page is Parsha questions.
Third page is "Shabbos chart"- I helped, I davened, I learned, etc

English teachers send home a booklet of the worksheets and stuff that we did this week. Look at it, then toss it.

amother
Rainbow

Post Thu, Oct 21 2021, 4:52 pm
My son is in first grade.

The rebbe sends home a booklet every Friday. It has a detailed letter about what they are learning in all the subjects (chumash, parsha, halacha etc). It also has coloring sheets, song sheets, questions sheets etc

The English teacher writes a few sentences on the bottom of the weekly homework sheet that describes what skills they are learning that week in reading/math and what topics they are covering in science/social studies

I really appreciate that they keep the parents in the loop. I like knowing what he is learning and I can reinforce certain skills at home
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics