Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Toms River questions
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 3:30 pm
do they have kosher restaurants in toms river? do they have uber eats from all the lakewood restaurants?

do they get free deliveries from kosher groceries, bakeries, supermarkets, kosher butcher/meat stores?

is toms river a big place? is it like the size of boro park or much bigger?

do they have a mikvah?

if a woman doesn't drive, would she be able to manage living in toms river?

and is it easy to get an uber there?

amother
Molasses

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 3:36 pm
No restaurants but there are some that are not too far. Many deliver.
Groceries deliver I don't know about other places, I don't know if it's free.
It's pretty big but the jewish part is mostly in one area, but you can't walk from area to area. For example the whitesville area is half an hour from the top to bottom.
There is a friday night mikvah, but depends which part
If you uber everywhere you can survive, there might be a shuttle I'm not sure.
You can get an uber, you might need to wait a few minutes for it to arrive.

rdmom

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 4:42 pm
Ubers in Toms River are a disaster. You can wait 15-20 mins for it to arrive.
And no. You can’t really live here if you don’t drive. I mean you could but it isn’t easy.
We daven in a shul that’s centrally located. People walk a half hour on Shabbos to daven here. There are many smaller shtiebel style shuls. And in my area there are no Friday night Mikvah’s as of yet.
Toms River is huge. And the Jewish neighborhoods are starting to branch out. I know some Jewish families are starting to move even further out. Which is like a 10 minute drive from me.
Most neighborhoods aren’t walkable from each other’s.
Like Whitesville is very far from Church road which is very far from Vincenzo. And now they are going even further.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 5:12 pm
No you cannot live in toms river if you do not drive

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 5:16 pm
amother [ Cyclamen ] wrote:
No you cannot live in toms river if you do not drive

Aren't there a lot of chassidim there now? Don't the women not drive? I wonder how they manage.

amother
Midnight

Post Fri, Oct 22 2021, 5:45 pm
I can’t imagine not driving.
Most homes are minimum 15-20 min from school. Many have no transportation.

Even if you do have transportation. The bussing is a mess. Many days there is school with no bussing. I don’t know how ppl get their kids if they don’t drive.

For kids younger then school like playgroup you have to drive for pickup and drop off

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sat, Oct 23 2021, 7:38 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
Aren't there a lot of chassidim there now? Don't the women not drive? I wonder how they manage.

Many chassidish women drive believe it or not

amother
Broom

Post Sat, Oct 23 2021, 7:40 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
Many chassidish women drive believe it or not

Yup everyone in TR drives.
With the exception of 2 ppl that dont.
And I live in a mixed chassidish neighborhood..

amother
Electricblue

Post Sat, Oct 23 2021, 7:42 pm
You cannot live in Jersey without a car … period!

amother
Ecru

Post Sat, Oct 23 2021, 9:47 pm
OP, I live in TR & don’t drive

Feel free to PM me

Last edited by amother on Mon, Oct 25 2021, 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Pewter

Post Sat, Oct 23 2021, 10:10 pm
amother [ Broom ] wrote:
Yup everyone in TR drives.
With the exception of 2 ppl that dont.
And I live in a mixed chassidish neighborhood..

Ha you made me laugh!!! There are loads of chassidish women living in Toms River (myself included) that don’t drive,
Its not easy, get hard and complicated at times but we figure it out, also depends were in Toms River you go, if your close to Belz you can walk n take shuttle from there,
Or if your in the beginning on Toms River you can walk to seagull square/todd plaza and even evergreen area
Regarding mikva for Friday night , I only know of belz ( again if your walking distance to there)

Most grocery stores have free delivery to here, uber eats comes here too
They just opened a steak house in Toms River called lamp post,

You definitely need to know what your doing when you move here, lots of different areas and lots of different types of crowds in each area

amother
Snow

Post Sat, Oct 23 2021, 10:28 pm
I have 2 sils I'm toms river that don't drive . Not sure how they do it . Probably the husbands help out and drive them . Also they are home alot during the week And don't go anywhere.
Personally I wouldnt move to toms river If I don't drive

amother
Cinnamon

Post Sat, Oct 23 2021, 10:36 pm
A few months ago one of the women's mag. interviewed a Tom's River Chassidish woman who did not drive. She lived fine because her live in was also her driver and drove her and her kids every were. Is that an option for you?

amother
Broom

Post Sat, Oct 23 2021, 11:16 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Ha you made me laugh!!! There are loads of chassidish women living in Toms River (myself included) that don’t drive,
Its not easy, get hard and complicated at times but we figure it out, also depends were in Toms River you go, if your close to Belz you can walk n take shuttle from there,
Or if your in the beginning on Toms River you can walk to seagull square/todd plaza and even evergreen area
Regarding mikva for Friday night , I only know of belz ( again if your walking distance to there)

You definitely need to know what your doing when you move here, lots of different areas and lots of different types of crowds in each area

Hm.
Do you live in hickory pines?
Anything further then that I can't imagine walking..

There is a new mens mikvah that they use for women friday nights..

bnm

Post Sat, Oct 23 2021, 11:45 pm
The Lampost is 18 minutes at night from Vermont avenue.
You can manage without driving if you have schools that provide bussing and have no problem waiting 30 minutes for a car service each time you need one.
There are drs in Lakewood. Lakewood supermarkets deliver.
You can walk to Belz Mikva 25 minutes for Shabbos Mikva though I heard there is going to be another mikva on Freehold eventually.
UberEats is expensive and there are not as many options on it like in Brooklyn.
A few Lakewood places will deliver with their on delivery service or using a car service and charge you 12-15 dollars.
Toms River is huge. Come on a Sunday with a car and waze and look around.....

bnm

Post Sat, Oct 23 2021, 11:57 pm

How long does it take to walk from Hickory Pines to Evergreen? that seems like a very very very long walk and there isn't side walks along the entire way.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 1:38 am
bnm wrote:
How long does it take to walk from Hickory Pines to Evergreen? that seems like a very very very long walk and there isn't side walks along the entire way.

She can live on north maple n be able to walk if she is enough determined

bnm

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 11:24 am
I am never determined enough and North Maple is long. She probably lives closer to Route 9 than to New Hampshire.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 11:26 am
She can live on north maple n be able to walk if she is enough determined

I live off of N Maple closer to New Hampshire, and there’s no way. Especially not now that it’s getting cold. The weather would have to be perfect for that kind of trek. And I would still be exhausted.

amother
Canary

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 11:31 am
JBTW, Belz is not in Toms River. And there's a reason they chose that area to build that kehilla. They have their own grocery, plus it's very walkable to Evergreen area. It's even easier now that they opened Chestnut to the 70.

I cannot imagine how chassidish women live here and don't drive, but it's obviously an option since many do.

OP, we have Jewish car services here that you can use instead of Uber. Just remember that most drivers are coming from lkwd so you need to call 15/20 minutes before you need a car.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries