Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Living In london
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 23 2021, 6:17 pm
Hi can anyone tell me how much it costs to live in LOndon per month excluding rent with a fam of two kids. Bonus if you have a breakdown.

amother
Tulip

Post Sat, Oct 23 2021, 6:46 pm
A lot!

I'd prefer not to have a breakdown LOL

amother
Iris

Post Sat, Oct 23 2021, 6:47 pm
Costs us around 2600 excluding my mortgage payment. I don't live frugally for the sake of convenience, but I will reel in shortly once my baby is a bit older, could probably get by on £2300 and save a bit. I don't get any benefits and pay a lot in nursery fees for my toddler

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 23 2021, 6:50 pm
amother [ Iris ] wrote:
Costs us around 2600 excluding my mortgage payment. I don't live frugally for the sake of convenience, but I will reel in shortly once my baby is a bit older, could probably get by on £2300 and save a bit. I don't get any benefits and pay a lot in nursery fees for my toddler

Thanks for your honesty. Do you have one child in nursery? How much is the fees?

amother
Caramel

Post Sat, Oct 23 2021, 7:48 pm
Adele said she can't afford London and moved to LA if it's any help LOL

amother
Dimgray

Post Sat, Oct 23 2021, 7:52 pm
Really expensive.

Rent and bills 2500
Food+ household 1000
One child in school (free) and one with me (can’t afford babysitting)
500 car
1000 other expenses

Around 5000 a month

amother
Khaki

Post Sat, Oct 23 2021, 9:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for your honesty. Do you have one child in nursery? How much is the fees?

I have one child in nursery ...it costs £70 p.w. a child under 3 in a registered daycare full time is around £160 p.w.

Life is pretty expensive in London

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 1:58 am
I don’t think it’s more expensive than israel

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 1:59 am
What is considered a comfortable salary to earn a year?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 4:59 am
Anyone know??

Chickensoupprof

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 5:06 am
Don't know about a comfortable salary lots of newly wed people from London are moving to Manchester from what I know. Tbh I also would rather choose for London then I choose for Manchester. Because London is amazing and especially Golders Green. I think btw you can also look into Borhemwood and Edgeware however those places are also getting more expensive by the day.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 5:28 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
Don't know about a comfortable salary lots of newly wed people from London are moving to Manchester from what I know. Tbh I also would rather choose for London then I choose for Manchester. Because London is amazing and especially Golders Green. I think btw you can also look into Borhemwood and Edgeware however those places are also getting more expensive by the day.

When you say ppl are moving is it because of rent prices? Coz that’s not my concern. I’m asking general living expenses. How much does a couple with two kids need a month to come out comfortably excluding rent

amother
NeonYellow

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 5:34 am
I don't live in London so I can't help, but I think you'll get better answers if you explain what "living comfortably" means to you.

Full time nanny? Eating only rice and beans during the week? Etc. Also, where do you live now? Someone might be able to tell you how expenses compare.

Best of luck.

amother
Charcoal

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 5:46 am
I have no idea but bear in mind some schools are free (or have voluntary contribution) and some cost. (I don't live in London but sent my kids to school there and school fees (voluntary contirbutions) were voluntary and pretty low. (under £1500 a year I think) So check out the type of school you may want to send to and costs.

I think rent is the biggest factor as to why ppl are moving to manchester. Food costs are similar. Maybe eating out costs more, but grocery stores like tesco are the same nationwide and ditto with kosher meat etc. Probably you can pay lower wages in manchester for nannies and cleaning help.

amother
Dimgray

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 5:58 am
Salaries in Manchester are much less.

OP, rent is our biggest expense. Hire are you going that taken care of? Because if it is, you can live comfortably for around £2,500/pm.

s c

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 5:58 am
Manchester house prices are definitely way cheaper which is why young couples move there but bear in mind that London has every type of kehilla with shuls and schools across the whole spectrum of chassidish, litvish, jpf, Sephardie and modern orthodox. It's more like a giant melting pot where everyone can find their niche. Manchester is much more polarised being more chareidi. Their main primary school yesodey Hatorah is very over subscribed and not so easy to get into anymore. London is a more open minded place to live. (Not bashing Manchester as many people say its much warmer and friendlier than London )

amother
SandyBrown

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 6:38 am
Bills £650
2 cars insurance and petrol £550
Food £1k
Other expenses £1k
Council tax £200
School fees 2 children £1k

Approx £4500 pm

I earn £24k
DH earns £50k
This salary is not enough to live a financially secure life. It’s enough to get by and have an emergency fund.

We are both working our way up in our respective careers.

Chickensoupprof

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 7:55 am
s c wrote:
Manchester house prices are definitely way cheaper which is why young couples move there but bear in mind that London has every type of kehilla with shuls and schools across the whole spectrum of chassidish, litvish, jpf, Sephardie and modern orthodox. It's more like a giant melting pot where everyone can find their niche. Manchester is much more polarised being more chareidi. Their main primary school yesodey Hatorah is very over subscribed and not so easy to get into anymore. London is a more open minded place to live. (Not bashing Manchester as many people say its much warmer and friendlier than London )

This, nowadays Broughton Jewish is considered Modern Orthodox while basically most people choose it because the other schools became more to the chareidi side and exclude certain sheitel lengths, and internet access which they basically didn't before (talking about 10-15 years ago) by then Broughton Jewish was more like united synagogue and now it's mixed. Yesodai Hatorah is really difficult to get in to indeed... My SIL wants it so badly but she has to get rid of her tznius instapage, her lacefront sheital, her husband has to start hats and everything...
I feel lots of Gateshead people came to Manchester I think that also made a thing.

I too always feel that London (Golders Green, Edgeware and Hendon) are more accepting and more open. You can see basicially a chossid in kosher kingdom next to a united synagogue woman in pants buying shabbos food. In Manchester rarely.
But you pay the price for living in London, in Manchester you get more chareidi in London more accepting.

amother
Charcoal

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 8:30 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
This, nowadays Broughton Jewish is considered Modern Orthodox while basically most people choose it because the other schools became more to the chareidi side and exclude certain sheitel lengths, and internet access which they basically didn't before (talking about 10-15 years ago) by then Broughton Jewish was more like united synagogue and now it's mixed. Yesodai Hatorah is really difficult to get in to indeed... My SIL wants it so badly but she has to get rid of her tznius instapage, her lacefront sheital, her husband has to start hats and everything...
I feel lots of Gateshead people came to Manchester I think that also made a thing.

I too always feel that London (Golders Green, Edgeware and Hendon) are more accepting and more open. You can see basicially a chossid in kosher kingdom next to a united synagogue woman in pants buying shabbos food. In Manchester rarely.
But you pay the price for living in London, in Manchester you get more chareidi in London more accepting.

You can for sure see not frum people shopping in manchester, I am not sure where you shop. Broughton Park is more chareidi than Prestwich.

s c

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 9:03 am
Of course there are other communities in Manchester but as a whole it is now predominantly chareidi and not as open minded as London
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics