Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Can you stop giving homework for the moms?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 6:08 pm
I’m pregnant and have a hard time keeping my eyes open. Literally no energy for anything. I push myself to do the minimum at home but don’t always manage to cover all bases. What gets me the most annoyed is the endless homework the teachers give my young elementary kids which they can’t do themselves. Projects and extras etc. on top of a couple of pages of regular kriah, math, spelling etc. can the teachers stop giving loads of work for the moms? I’m way past the stage and too non creative for projects and don’t have the time or energy for it. Do whatever you want with the hours you have in school and leave the homework that involves the moms to the bare minimum. Max 5 minutes a day per child and no physical creative work like projects. Most moms have lots on their plate and can not give an hour per child every afternoon.
Vent over!

amother
Feverfew

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 6:18 pm
Can't win on this. I was assigning the bare minimum allowed by my school and got several requests from parents for more, including a demand at back to school night wanting to know why I was giving so "little"!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 6:20 pm
amother [ Feverfew ] wrote:
Can't win on this. I was assigning the bare minimum allowed by my school and got several requests from parents for more, including a demand at back to school night wanting to know why I was giving so "little"!

I doubt that’s for the kids who still need the mom’s involvement. Older kids can handle more. First and second graders who still do everything with the mom need a lot less.

amother
Leaf

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 6:22 pm

I hate this attitude.
It’s not your kids’ teachers problem to entertain your kids at night.
My kids and myself don’t need to be busy with homework all afternoon becuase other mothers want to relax.

If they can’t handle entertaining their kids for the few night hours, it’s their problem, not mine.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 6:23 pm
Totally agree op

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 6:32 pm

Ridiculous. Who are these parents and why do they want this?

Sewsew_mom

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 6:34 pm
I say sign the paper saying I see my daughter has homework but It couldn't get done tonight. You can do that every day.
I do not stress for my kids to do their homework. If they do it yay for them! Otherwise I'll sign the paper just to say I know there was homework but it may have possibly not get done.
Sue me. Don't care.
I can't keep up. And I don't think it's important at all. So you won't convince me!

Sewsew_mom

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 6:36 pm

Honestly.. I've spoke to hundreds/thousands of parents in my life about homework and have never once came across a parent that said kids need more homework. Maybe your in a diff country where it's common. But never have I once ever heard such a thing.. So I'm not buying this..

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 6:36 pm
im a slp
one hour a week of speech isnt doing ANYTHING I promise u that
so I have to give HW for carry over during the week

many parents do the HW with their kids, and I can see when their kids are able carry over work we did during a session

many parents ask me "why isnt my son making progress?"

if you dont put in the HW at home, nothing is going to improve

amother
SandyBrown

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 6:37 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Totally agree op

Im a teacher and so do I! Hate homework and consciously give the bare minimum.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 6:37 pm

I don't know anyone who would complain about too little homework. Everyone I know hates doing homework with their kids. I would love to have time to chill with my kids and do fun activities instead of being pressured to do homework.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 6:38 pm
Often, it's the projects that engage the kid. They are more likely to willingly do it than the basic seat work. (And I'm a mom, not a teacher.)

What I would like is notice. Tell us that in two weeks, the kids will be assigned a project that they have a week or two weeks to do. Tell us what materials may be needed. If the kid is deciding something that decides the materials, give enough time to get them if we can't go and do that in the next few days. And all this lets us plan in time to work with the kid as necessary. Also, options are good- if a parent can't help with all the physical stuff but the child is also allowed to write a song or poem, or something else like that, that should work.

Shabbos Imas and Abbas and the like should be on a calendar from day 1 if possible, so people can be prepared.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 6:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m pregnant and have a hard time keeping my eyes open. Literally no energy for anything. I push myself to do the minimum at home but don’t always manage to cover all bases. What gets me the most annoyed is the endless homework the teachers give my young elementary kids which they can’t do themselves. Projects and extras etc. on top of a couple of pages of regular kriah, math, spelling etc. can the teachers stop giving loads of work for the moms? I’m way past the stage and too non creative for projects and don’t have the time or energy for it. Do whatever you want with the hours you have in school and leave the homework that involves the moms to the bare minimum. Max 5 minutes a day per child and no physical creative work like projects. Most moms have lots on their plate and can not give an hour per child every afternoon.
Vent over!

Totally agree. I just want to underscore the creative projects. Teachers, these projects are very nice and dandy, but if you want to see the kids creativity, then do the projects with the kids at school. Sending home these projects just put the work on either the mom or older sibling. And while the mom or older sibling can perhaps do great work, neither of them appreciate the extra workload.

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 6:42 pm
amother [ DarkKhaki ] wrote:
im a slp

many parents do the HW with their kids, and I can see when their kids are able carry over work we did during a session

Sounds like practicing an instrument -- the lesson is once a week and you really do need to practice every day you can for it to be worth it. I think that's different from regular homework.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 6:42 pm
amother [ DarkOrange ] wrote:
Often, it's the projects that engage the kid. They are more likely to willingly do it than the basic seat work. (And I'm a mom, not a teacher.)

What I would like is notice. Tell us that in two weeks, the kids will be assigned a project that they have a week or two weeks to do. Tell us what materials may be needed. If the kid is deciding something that decides the materials, give enough time to get them if we can't go and do that in the next few days. And all this lets us plan in time to work with the kid as necessary. Also, options are good- if a parent can't help with all the physical stuff but the child is also allowed to write a song or poem, or something else like that, that should work.

Shabbos Imas and Abbas and the like should be on a calendar from day 1 if possible, so people can be prepared.

Just do the project during school hours. The kids would love the break in routine, and it would give the creative kids a chance to shine. If you send the project home, there is a very high probability the kid is doing very little of it (especially for the younger kids).

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 6:44 pm
im a slp

Giving homework as a therapist is different than giving homework as a teacher. When my son got speech I was happy to do the homework nightly and I saw great results. However, my kids are in school for hours each day. Why do they need to do more at home? I'm not opposed to a few minutes of reading/kriah. It's the rest that I don't agree with.

chanatron1000

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 6:45 pm

Yeah, but parents who want their kids to have more homework can always assign it themselves. There's no law against it. Schools generally don't let parents opt out of homework.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 6:46 pm
im a slp

This pertains to skills, which do need practice. But 5-10 minutes per day, with exercises the kid can do himself accomplishes that.

behappy2

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 6:51 pm
There is definitely pressure from some parents for kids to have homework because they want they're kids to learn a lot. I've taught in two schools where this was very prevalent. Why the schools cave in to these parents and not to the other parents is a good question.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Oct 24 2021, 6:57 pm
Send to a school with the same hashkafa. I send my child to school as a babysitting to me and that is how I view it. I don't care how much the girls learn, the boys is different because it is a mitzvah.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics