Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
How do FFBs daven so fast? Are u really saying every word?
Previous  1  2

sky

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 1:58 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
This is not an FFB thing, its a personality thing. I know plenty of BTs who daven very fast and plenty of FFBs who do not.

Agree it’s a personality.

I know ppl who have much more kavana if they go fast. They say the words concentrate and move on.

They describe davening slowly as you are stuck in traffic and can’t move and frustrated so your brain jumps to diff topics. When the words are moving you are focused on the words and there is no time to lose focus on what you are saying.

I cannot daven like that. I can’t even read Hebrew like that. I know ppl that can have no kavsna that way.

But for some that does help them have greater kavana and they are thinking about what they are saying. And even though they daven fast it is with a lot of thought and intense focus.

I think diff davening techniques work for diff ppl. And we shouldn’t knock the ways ppl connect best to Hashem.

zaq

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 2:16 pm
sky wrote:
My dh can daven out loud and Lein super fast. He enunciates every word clearly.
I have no clue how.

You remind me my shul once had a guest baal koreh who read like the wind--faster than I can read with my eyes-- and pronounced not only every word but every dagesh and mapik. I did wish he went slower so I could enjoy his leining instead of feeling that I was competing in an Olympic sprint event. (I was afraid to blink because if I did he'd be two lines ahead and I'd never catch up.) But some people have to say memorized passages quickly. They get messed up if they try to say them slowly.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 2:20 pm
I think a lot has to do with practice, I notice that men daven a lot faster than women and that I daven a lot faster than young girls.
Honestly if you say something three times a day every day, it just comes out faster.
There are two portions in davening that I’ve never been able to say fast enough and I just stop when the kahal stops - the bakashot before kriat HaTorah and Ein Kelokainu, I have no idea how they say it so fast.
Aleinu, I can sometimes keep up.
Also Ashkenazi slichot- it’s been a while since I’ve been to shul for selichot but I don’t know how people daven so fast.
BTW DH is a master at fast davening and leining the gabbai always calls on him for musaf when baal shachrit took too long. He also annunciates every word but very very fast.

Plonis

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 2:22 pm
zaq wrote:
You remind me my shul once had a guest baal koreh who read like the wind--faster than I can read with my eyes-- and pronounced not only every word but every dagesh and mapik. I did wish he went slower so I could enjoy his leining instead of feeling that I was competing in an Olympic sprint event. (I was afraid to blink because if I did he'd be two lines ahead and I'd never catch up.) But some people have to say memorized passages quickly. They get messed up if they try to say them slowly.

I'm like that. It's awful. I have davened and bentched all my life, but if I try to say them by heart too slowly, I get mixed up. It is TORTURE for me to say Tefillas Haderech word for word with my kids when I'm driving.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 2:28 pm
either they are only scanning the words or they can be auctioneers

I have seen someone say the words out loud as fast as they do quietly

Isramom8

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 2:40 pm
I'm pretty much an FFB, davening since preschool. Aleinu is typically rushed - my son said it even discusses this specifically in the gemara or somewhere. I usually say the first paragraph and then jump to ve'neemar.

I can manage to say some Hebrew phrases very quickly. But it isn't a goal. I try to slow down my youngest son who has gotten into the fast bentching habit. It's almost a cool thing, but it really isn't.

Living Princess

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 2:49 pm
I speak way too fast (as in people tell me this way too often) read really fast and daven wayyyy too fast. I wish I didn't. Anybody have some good shiurim that can help improve kavana?

Bruria

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 4:19 pm
Yes! I agree that it's a personality thing, some people do things faster than others, nothing to do with kavana or not.

superstar

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 4:29 pm
sky wrote:
I have no clue how.

same... while I articulate every word, and take a long time... cuz otherwise, my words are one big jumble...ffb here!

momsrus

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 6:29 pm
When you bentch at my grandfathers table, he says you have to give him a dollar for every word you skip.

acemom

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 7:32 pm
When you say paragraphs you are familiar with, especially if you aren't saying it out loud, most people's brains work faster than their mouths. What ends up happening is that inadvertently words are being skipped.

When my kids bench after a meal and it takes too quick I ask them to repeat just one part out loud and time it. They realize how just one paragraph took longer than their whole benching.

It's the same way people who read with their eyes are faster than those who move their lips while reading.

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 7:46 pm
This was totally in an episode of Srugim, lol. Hodaya was being interviewed by someone who wasn't frum. I forgot the context but the interviewer was saying a bracha and she said, "Baruch Atah Ad.... Melech Haolam Shehakol Nihiyeh Bidvoro." enunciating each word.

Hodaya said, "You don't do that. Datim do it like this," Bruchataad...shkolnyehbdvoro" in like a second.

tp3

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 8:53 pm
Some say the words and some don't.
We try to teach our kids to say the words audibly, just above a whisper, so that the words are actually being said.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 9:31 pm
I really hope I'm saying all the words. Am I articulating perfectly? No, but I try sometimes. (Yes, there are stretches where I realize I was on automatic.) Shouldn't this be what we all aspire to?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 11:12 pm
sky wrote:
I have no clue how.

My dh too. He speeds and gets every word. I can't keep up with him.

The only time I can daven quickly is when it's a song verse that I know by heart and quickly sing while scanning the words with my eyes.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 3:22 am
Some people can definitely do it fast - ever heard a super fast megillah leining? I mean you have to say everything correctly or it's as if you didn't hear it.

dveikus

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 2:17 pm
kenz wrote:
You're all making it seem as if super-speedy davening is the goal. It's not - I daven pretty quickly out of rote. When I am conscious of it I purposely slow myself down and concentrate more. The more kavanah you have, the slower you daven. Speeding through davening is not something to aspire to, though it's obviously better than not davening at all.

I think OP is more concerned with keeping up with the tzibbur during davening than with being a speedy davener.

I myself get very frustrated when the men daven so crazy fast that I'm still davening Shemonah Esrei and the shaliach tzibbur is already up to kadosh, kadosh, kadosh in the repetition of Shemonah Esrei. It breaks my heart.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 2:29 pm
dveikus wrote:
I think OP is more concerned with keeping up with the tzibbur during davening than with being a speedy davener.

I myself get very frustrated when the men daven so crazy fast that I'm still davening Shemonah Esrei and the shaliach tzibbur is already up to kadosh, kadosh, kadosh in the repetition of Shemonah Esrei. It breaks my heart.

And it's odd when a shul that deliberately davens slowly speeds up like during the tefillos as the sefer Torah's bought out, or pitom ketores. I get that I'm not used to saying it as often as the men but I've said it enough to be able to say it fast. And this shul doesn't do fast for so much else.

animeme

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 2:40 pm
My dh is also super quick and accurate. I asked him about it once, and he said he gets distracted if he goes slower. In general, he looks for a quicker davening because if he's at a slower one, he loses focus.

I have noticed that over the years since I had kids, my davening and bentching has gotten faster in general. I focus more on the general concept of what I'm asking for than every word. Because if I was as slow as I used to be, I wouldn't have time to bentch or to say shemoneh esrei. And I do think that's what's going on with many men. They go to minyan and do a full shacharis and still need to be at work by, say, 8:00. And for most of it, they're saying the same things three times every day.

vicki

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 3:16 pm
I'm FFB and I bentch super quickly. I've been saying it now over 50 years and the words run together. I DO think about what I'm saying, certain parts more than others. Interestingly, sometimes I think about certain parts while I continue speed reciting further on.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics