Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What does MA stand for?
Previous  1  2

amother
Alyssum

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 8:55 pm
bruriyah wrote:
It is true that PAs have rigorous training. But they need MD/DO supervision not only for malpractice reasons, but because they are not as rigorously trained as physicians. They can get very good at what they do with experience, but if being a PA were the *same* as being a physician, PAs would just all go to medical school.

Sorry, don’t want to hijack the thread but just had to mention that 😬.

I have to agree. I've worked PAs that know next to nothing and I've worked with PAs that have a tremendous amount of knowledge and I would trust as much as I trust an MD. The difference is one had very little experience and one had over 20 years (working alongside other MDs).

amother
Hosta

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 8:58 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
I am a certified MA. We could do everything nurses can do. Draw blood, give shots, vitals, etc. Only difference is nurses have more schooling, better pay (significantly), and have all the paperwork. We are also not allowed to give meds and they are. You won't really see MAs in a hospital, more in doctors offices. Doctors would rather pay much less to someone that can do the same thing as a nurse.

Nurses are trained in advanced assessment skills well above the level of a MA (with all due respect for your important role). They are trained to closely monitor patients including in critical care settings, notice small but serious changes in patient conditions, and know how to intervene in many types of emergencies. It's not just "giving meds" but also knowledge of what all the medications do, how they will affect things, and how they will interact with each other. There are also many other advanced skills and procedures that nurses are trained to do.

amother
Hosta

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 9:00 pm
amother [ Alyssum ] wrote:
I have to agree. I've worked PAs that know next to nothing and I've worked with PAs that have a tremendous amount of knowledge and I would trust as much as I trust an MD. The difference is one had very little experience and one had over 20 years (working alongside other MDs).

There are good and bad apples in every bunch, including good and bad PAs and good and bad physicians...

bruriyah

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 9:30 pm
amother [ Hosta ] wrote:
There are good and bad apples in every bunch, including good and bad PAs and good and bad physicians...

Right, but this wasn’t the point I was trying to make. I was pointing out that PAs are not the same as physicians. They are advanced practitioners; not physicians.

amother
Acacia

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 9:34 pm
bruriyah wrote:
It is true that PAs have rigorous training. But they need MD/DO supervision not only for malpractice reasons, but because they are not as rigorously trained as physicians. They can get very good at what they do with experience, but if being a PA were the *same* as being a physician, PAs would just all go to medical school.

Not quite, medical school is a lot more schooling.

bruriyah

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 9:44 pm
amother [ Acacia ] wrote:
Not quite, medical school is a lot more schooling.

Well yes, more schooling, more competitive to get accepted, harder exams, residency = more rigorous which is my point

amother
Hosta

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 9:44 pm
bruriyah wrote:
Right, but this wasn’t the point I was trying to make. I was pointing out that PAs are not the same as physicians. They are advanced practitioners; not physicians.

I understand and agree. I was not responding to your comment.

bruriyah

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 9:49 pm
amother [ Hosta ] wrote:
I understand and agree. I was not responding to your comment.

I misunderstood you, sorry

amother
Aconite

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 9:50 pm
bruriyah wrote:

Not sure what the point you are making is. PAs have rigorous training. They are not the same as a doctor, but often they do the same tasks as a doctor, and yes a very experienced PA probably knows a lot more than a a doctor who just graduated medical school. It all depends on experience, that applies to PAs and doctors. So yes an experienced doctor likely knows more, that an average PA. But at the end of the day they are both highly trained professionals and they trust each other and work as a team.

bruriyah

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 10:00 pm
amother [ Aconite ] wrote:
Not sure what the point you are making is. PAs have rigorous training. They are not the same as a doctor, but often they do the same tasks as a doctor, and yes a very experienced PA probably knows a lot more than a a doctor who just graduated medical school. It all depends on experience, that applies to PAs and doctors. So yes an experienced doctor likely knows more, that an average PA. But at the end of the day they are both highly trained professionals and they trust each other and work as a team.

My point is that physicians have more rigorous training than PAs.

amother
Aconite

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 10:10 pm
bruriyah wrote:
My point is that physicians have more rigorous training than PAs.

I agree, but I guess my point is that it doesn’t all come down to the training.

amother
Hyssop

Post Mon, Oct 25 2021, 10:18 pm
Makeup artist

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 11:33 am
amother [ Hosta ] wrote:
Nurses are trained in advanced assessment skills well above the level of a MA (with all due respect for your important role). They are trained to closely monitor patients including in critical care settings, notice small but serious changes in patient conditions, and know how to intervene in many types of emergencies. It's not just "giving meds" but also knowledge of what all the medications do, how they will affect things, and how they will interact with each other. There are also many other advanced skills and procedures that nurses are trained to do.

Yes, that much I know. But on a basic level with the basic skills it is more or less the same.

dena613

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 4:51 pm
amother [ Hyssop ] wrote:
Makeup artist

Not MUA?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics