Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Jewish Day vs Broughton Jewish

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 2:30 am
We are thinking to move eventually to Manchester when the kinderlach need chinuch (we live somewhere else in the world and we odn't have kinderlach because I was sick)
I have daily discussions about DH if we choose for JD or Broughton Jewish.
I myself never received a BT Jewish education and I want a school to be stark so they have a good foundation in Yiddishkeit which might be somewhat stricter. Also, I rather linger towards Jewish Day than Broughton Jewish.
DH wants BJ. This is because in his early childhood they were a typical BJ family and went later towards ets chaim it was for him really hard not be allowed certain things. He tells me that I don't understand how it is to be forbidden to be a child and to be forced into a box. I don't know but I know that the secular world and schools are boxes too of course not as extreme as maybe in the frum world but they are there.

DH doesn't want to get rid of his Xbox because of Chinuch reasons. He says, of course, he is happy if a son would attend extra shiurim on Shabbos and Sundays but he would also love it if sons would like to play football in a club and play an instrument, and then he says this would not be fitting in a Jewish Day family also he has to wear a hat which he doesn't like he feels he is then never be allowed to wear a regular jumper and trousers and that he needs to wear only suits from then on.
I feel he is exaggerating and I feel BJ will not give a good jewish foundation and is more frei than JD. If we move to Manchester I'm far removed for my family who is secular and I don't know anything about like chumash with rashi and those stuff. I just want to hve the best orthodox education possible... And of course I won't care if a son or daughter can use a guitar but I don't believe that it's that extreme that you can be pulled out of school because of that.

Any ideas?

amother
Clover

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 2:39 am
im not sure what school would be best, but I can tell you that bj has become more modern since so many new schools have opened in Manchester.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 3:07 am
Wait until you have children and are in Manchester, or at least have solid plans for moving. Until the children are born, you can't even put them on a waiting list. Once they are born it is five years until they go to school. The schools may have changed or there may be new options by then.

You do need to decide your hashkafa as a couple and as a family. Endless arguments about where to educate unborn children aren't the best way to do this.

Tranquil

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 5:34 am
Yes, your child will be able to take music lessons, play ball etc, no matter what school they are in.

Perhaps the more right wing schools wont have their own official “teams” but on their own (in and out of school), kids can and do play ball (as a matter of fact, its expected by the boys specifically-status if you are good), take music, art etc lessons and all around be normal kids.

You and DH do not yet understand this due to your own individual backgrounds. You will see (BE”H, b’shaah tova), its all doable and they can still get the best Jewish education according to your hashkafa.

tree of life

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 6:00 am
First of its easier to get in to BJ then Jewish day
When u are ready for schooling speak to someone who knows you and the schools before you decide hatzlacha

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 6:56 am
Jewish Day does have a range of families including those that will have x-boxes and those that won't. Jewish Day themselves don't offer out of school clubs like football etc, but plenty of the kids that go there attend other places that do.
I think you have to decide for yourselves which direction are you headed. It doesn't sound like you wouldn't fit into Jewish Day, but you have to be happy with your haskafas.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics