Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Picking up our children

lkwdgirl

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 4:08 pm
As a morah there’s something that has been bothering me so so much. So many parents drop off and pick up their kids while talking on the phone. Where is their common sense and feelings for their children? Doesn’t their children come before their phone call? Please explain what’s wrong with people.

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 4:10 pm
What age do you teach? Some parents don't feel it's worth it to talk to their kids in the car if their kids aren't very verbal.

amother
Snowflake

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 4:11 pm
Today I went to pick up my kids on the phone. We are dealing with a major crisis at home and it was when I finally got through to the person I needed to reach to help fix it. You really have no idea what’s going on in people’s lives.

lkwdgirl

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 4:13 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
What age do you teach? Some parents don't feel it's worth it to talk to their kids in the car if their kids aren't very verbal.

Four year olds and I’m talking about coming into the classroom on the phone

amother
Winterberry

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 4:16 pm
I actually have this sensitivity too. But sometimes there is an emergency The thought has crossed my mind in the past, like the teacher must think I cbb for my own children.
When in fact, I look forward to picking then up and I love hearing them babble about their day. Their descriptions are so funny and adorable.

lkwdgirl

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 4:18 pm
amother [ Winterberry ] wrote:
I actually have this sensitivity too. But sometimes there is an emergency The thought has crossed my mind in the past, like the teacher must think I cbb for my own children.
When in fact, I look forward to picking then up and I love hearing them babble about their day. Their descriptions are so funny and adorable.

Nice to hear. Personally if there’s something MAJOR going on mention to the morah that somethings going on. The morah also has things going on and parents wouldn’t be happy seeing the morah on the phone.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 4:21 pm
lkwdgirl wrote:
Nice to hear. Personally if there’s something MAJOR going on mention to the morah that somethings going on. The morah also has things going on and parents wouldn’t be happy seeing the morah on the phone.

Nah. I'm a Morah and part of my job is not to be on my phone. If a parent walks in looking concerned on their phone and takes their kid to leave I do not expect him to share why he's on the phone or that it's important. Not my business.

cuffs

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 5:38 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:

Just because a kid doesn’t speak yet does not mean a parent shouldn’t talk to them.

lkwdgirl

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 7:20 pm
Please respond

amother
Moccasin

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 7:30 pm
Hi Morah!

My workday is from 8am to 5pm. Your workday is from 9am to 3:30pm. That means that I'm missing work to do carpool! Sometimes my boss is on the phone with me about stuff, and I have to be on the phone with him so that I don't lose my job!

Thanks for all the judgement!

amother
Butterscotch

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 7:43 pm
Sometimes we just have too many demands on our time. We leave work early to pick kids up on time, but have to finish that phone call we're in the middle of. We're humans too. As soon as this call is over, my kid has me for the next 3 hours till shes asleep.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 7:59 pm
C’mom. Not everyone is on a work phone or waiting 35 minutes to speak to a representative. People are on the phone shmoozing while taking kids off the bus and picking up kids. Let’s not pretend it’s not happening🙂

happinessseeker

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 8:05 pm
That’s so sad

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 8:08 pm
flowerpower wrote:
C’mom. Not everyone is on a work phone or waiting 35 minutes to speak to a representative. People are on the phone shmoozing while taking kids off the bus and picking up kids. Let’s not pretend it’s not happening🙂

It was like this when I was younger, but instead, we came home with a school bus and our mothers were on the phone connected to the wall with a 5 ft chord to move about. It was the same lack of attention. Some mothers find being a yachna more important than their kids

amother
Dahlia

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 9:27 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
It was like this when I was younger, but instead, we came home with a school bus and our mothers were on the phone connected to the wall with a 5 ft chord to move about. It was the same lack of attention. Some mothers find being a yachna more important than their kids

Not where I grew up. My mom worked too but she was not on the phone when we walked in!!
(at least I don't remember her doing that) I do make a effort to do drop off and pick up phone free. I even hang up on dh and call back when dc is waved off.

Look at OP topic as a kind of PSA and see how you can make your child's eyes light up!

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 9:30 pm
Just because someone is on the phone when you see them doesn't mean they are always on the phone and don't pay attention to their children. People are way too judgmental.

amother
Moccasin

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 10:31 pm
I wonder what would happen, Morah, if we followed you around all day when you were with YOUR children, and berated you for every second you weren’t 100% engaged with them.

You’re on imamother right now, aren’t you? Why aren’t you gazing lovingly at your children?

flowerpower

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 10:37 pm
amother [ Moccasin ] wrote:
I wonder what would happen, Morah, if we followed you around all day when you were with YOUR children, and berated you for every second you weren’t 100% engaged with them.

You’re on imamother right now, aren’t you? Why aren’t you gazing lovingly at your children?

Very silly comment. Really. When a child comes home you’re supposed to give them your full attention. Like you were waiting for them and missed them. All mechanchim talk about it!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics