Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Which bottle for thickened formula?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 9:59 pm
My baby is 8 weeks old and has a myriad of feeding issues, namely an extremely sensitive stomach with multiple allergies. Right now he’s on elecare which seems to be working for him but doesn’t help with his reflux. Before we medicate him, doctor said to try thickening his formula with oatmeal. (Not rice because of his allergies) However, I can’t find a bottle with a nipple that works for him. More holes in the nipple won’t help as the oatmeal is too thick for the nipple holes. I tried making a hole myself but it was too fast for him. I tried the doctor browns Y nipple which is ok but still a bit on the slow side and it’s also a very soft nipple which he doesn’t like so much. Any ideas? What worked for you? TIA.

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 10:06 pm
I get that there are feeding issues but you still shouldn't be feeding solid food to an 8 week old infant. Also, adding cereal to bottles is considered a choking hazard now. Your doctor is obviously very old school.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 10:19 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
I get that there are feeding issues but you still shouldn't be feeding solid food to an 8 week old infant. Also, adding cereal to bottles is considered a choking hazard now. Your doctor is obviously very old school.

Thanks for the response and I do appreciate you taking the time out to respond but that wasn’t the info I asked for…I trust my doctor and he knows my baby and his case…just looking for the info I asked for from ppl who’ve been there done that.

stepmama

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 10:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for the response and I do appreciate you taking the time out to respond but that wasn’t the info I asked for…I trust my doctor and he knows my baby and his case…just looking for the info I asked for from ppl who’ve been there done that.

I had multiple issues with my baby, namely throwing up all day. I also thickened the formula but I just made a bigger hole in the bottle, tho admittedly he was a bit older when I did that, like three months I think. I cant think of any other way than doing it yourself, just make sure its not too big.

GLUE

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 11:36 pm
My sister had this issue, she went to the store and brought all the nipples she could find and tried them out.

amother
Watermelon

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 12:16 am
Disclaimer: I never used these bottles or had to give thickened formula.
I read the reviews and it looks like a lot of parents were happy with this nipple for thickened bottles.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips.....ty-20

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 1:03 am
amother [ Watermelon ] wrote:
Disclaimer: I never used these bottles or had to give thickened formula.
I read the reviews and it looks like a lot of parents were happy with this nipple for thickened bottles.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips.....ty-20

Thanks! This looks ideal but it’s been discontinued….

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 6:25 am
I've never had an issue using any bottle. I just make the hole slightly bigger with a needle or buy the next level nipple. Ive used playtex, dr browns, Avent and others.

mommy2x

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 8:02 am
You use a bottle with a Y nipple. That's what it's called. I personally never found my kids to like the oatmeal bottles but that's what we were told to use. The slit in the nipple is shaped like a Y so the thicker formula can come out.
This is a link for Dr. Browns nipples for a Y shape. I personally used Phillip Avent but don't have time now to search for a link.

Dr. Brown's Original Nipple, Y-Cut (9m+), 6 Count https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015.....21209
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics