Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Ilana (tree)- any connection to praise in yiddishkeit?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 26 2021, 10:10 pm
We are IyH expecting a girl soon, and the couple of people we can name after (but definitely don't have to) we really don't like the names. I wanted to do a name having to do with singing praise, as this baby is a lil nishmas miracle💓 I want Tehila, but my husband doesn't like that name, so we will go with that as a second name. He likes the name Ilana (which is fine with me, I love the nickname Lani💖🥰). But I'm just wondering the meaning sounds too christian? It would mean tree of praise. Any way to connect that to yiddishkeit to make me feel better about it? We haven't set this in stone, but I want to get ideas in case we do choose this combo.

Thanks!!

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 2:54 am
This wonderful song about the Ilan Smile

salt

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 3:05 am
It doesn't mean 'Tree of Praise'.
That would be Ilanat Tehilla (סמיכות)
Think of it simply as 2 names - Tree and then Praise. That's all.

ETA Ilana doesn't even mean tree. Ilan is a tree. It's just a feminine form of Ilan. It's just a name.
I really don't think you have to worry about it meaning a whole phrase that you don't like the idea of.

Just out of curiosity - will you call her by the 2 names?

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 3:43 am
Ilana is a beautiful name and that combo doesn't sound xtian at all - to me, anyway.

What about Elianna? Especially if she's a miracle x

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 3:51 am
גשו רב יצחק ורב נחמן ושוחחו בדברי תורה שעה ארוכה. כשנפרדו, ביקש רב נחמן: "יברכני, רבי"!

השיב לו רבי יצחק:

"אמשול לך משל, למה הדבר דומה? לאדם שהיה הולך במדבר והיה רעב ועיף וצמא, ומצא אילן שפירותיו מתוקין, וצילו נאה, ואמת המים עוברת תחתיו.

אכל מפירותיו, ושתה ממימיו וישב בצילו.

וכשביקש לילך אמר: "אילן, אילן! במה אברכך?

אם אומר לך שיהו פירותיך מתוקין, הרי פירותיך מתוקין;

שיהא צילך נאה, הרי צילך נאה;

שתהא אמת המים עוברת תחתיך, הרי אמת המים עוברת תחתיך - - -

אלא, יהי רצון, שכל נטיעות שנוטעין ממך יהיו כמותך".

אף אתה, במה אברכך?

אם בתורה, הרי (יש לך) תורה;

אם בעושר, הרי עושר;

אם בבנים, הרי בנים - - -

אלא יהי רצון, שיהו צאצאי מעיך (ילדיך) כמותך".

Rav Nachman asked Rav Yitzchak to bless him. Rav Yitzchak said “You’re like a beautiful fruit tree that a passerby eats from and , refreshed, says ‘Tree, tree, how shall I bless you? That your shade should be pleasant? Your fruit sweet? A stream of water at your foot? You have all that. So I bless you that your offspring should be like you.’

So, too, shall I bless you with Torah, wealth and children? You have all that. I bless you that all your descendants should be like you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names