Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Gift card & returning - Would you consider this unethical

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 11:41 am
we did a bunch of home improvement and spent a couple grand at home depot. during the process somehow I ended up with a $10 merchandise card which is really annoying to use (can't be used online; only in stores). we were nearing the end of the work and I'd forgotten about the card, I didn't have anything else to use it on, and I generally try to shop online rather than in stores.

so, I re-bought an item I already purchased using the gift card. and I returned the duplicate item using the receipt for the original item.

would you consider this unethical? the store didn't lose anything. I just didnt want to be stuck with some $10 card that I'm going to forget about.

amother
Zinnia

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 11:51 am
I think it's ok as long as you bought both from the same place. If it's 2 different stores then that's not appropriate.

amother
Caramel

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 11:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
we did a bunch of home improvement and spent a couple grand at home depot. during the process somehow I ended up with a $10 merchandise card which is really annoying to use (can't be used online; only in stores). we were nearing the end of the work and I'd forgotten about the card, I didn't have anything else to use it on, and I generally try to shop online rather than in stores.

so, I re-bought an item I already purchased using the gift card. and I returned the duplicate item using the receipt for the original item.

would you consider this unethical? the store didn't lose anything. I just didnt want to be stuck with some $10 card that I'm going to forget about.

I think that's totally ok, and I have a low threshold for dishonesty and menshlichkeit. I would have even been ok with buying it from another store (in contrast to above poster). I admit that if it would have been a small business I would have felt differently.

6000miles

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 11:56 am
I think you're brilliant.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 4:00 pm
amother [ Zinnia ] wrote:
I think it's ok as long as you bought both from the same place. If it's 2 different stores then that's not appropriate.

yeah, same store. and item was the same price on both purchases.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 4:11 pm
Cashiers in stores have told me to do this.
Its fine.

amother
Starflower

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 4:12 pm
It’s fine. The receipt said gift card so it was all upfront and their choice to refund you for it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 4:18 pm
amother [ Starflower ] wrote:
It’s fine. The receipt said gift card so it was all upfront and their choice to refund you for it.

Well, no, I returned the item using the original receipt (paid on credit card).

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 4:32 pm
Seems like a lot of trouble to go to for $10, but no, not unethical.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 4:37 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
Seems like a lot of trouble to go to for $10, but no, not unethical.

I had to go to the store anyway to return something else. wouldnt have made a special trip!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette