Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Shira vs Ahuva

Shira vs Ahuva
Ahuva  
 48%  [ 18 ]
Shira  
 51%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 37

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 6:31 pm
Which name do you prefer? And, would you care that you could not say the reish according to Israelis on shira? And do you like the sound of shira with the Israeli accent?

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 6:37 pm
It really depends where you live. Are you the op of the other ahuva threads? If you are I think you should just go with it since it seems to be the one name at the forefront of your mind.

amother
Impatiens

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 6:38 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
It really depends where you live. Are you the op of the other ahuva threads? If you are I think you should just go with it since it seems to be the one name at the forefront of your mind.

Lol. I was about to post the same thing. Seems like ahuva is very much on your mind! It's a pretty name and every single ahuva I know is actually very well liked and pretty!

amother
Broom

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 6:38 pm
I don’t like Shira with an Israeli accent

I like it with an American soft raish

chagil

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 7:20 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:

Yes. I much prefer shira but my hubby prefers ahuva. He almost really dislikes it. He thinks it’s not good that he is Israeli and will roll the reish and I won’t. Also, I really dislike people that say shiRA.

amother
Ballota

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 8:07 pm
If it makes any difference to you, for some reason R' Chaim Kanievsky does not like the name Shira. He says it's not a real name or something like that.

amother
Impatiens

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 8:11 pm
amother [ Ballota ] wrote:
If it makes any difference to you, for some reason R' Chaim Kanievsky does not like the name Shira. He says it's not a real name or something like that.

People love to quote this. But there are other names he doesn't approve of either. And there are other major poskim that say there's nothing wrong with Shira specifically. (Rabbi Menachem Nissel said in a shiur that he asked his rebbe, Rav Moshe Shapiro, before naming his daughter Shira, and Rav Moshe told him that it's a good name because it's minhag yisrael to name your daughter after pretty things.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names