Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Kindergarten Maturity

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 4:02 pm
Hi all,

What would you consider “maturity” in a child (girl) going into kindergarten? What are the areas you’d observe and in how long do you believe you’d be able to make that assessment?

amother
Diamond

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 4:07 pm
I don't think it's so simple to define it. But rather you can pick out who is immature. The way a teacher usually sees it is if most of the class does something easily and that child struggles. I wouldn't use the word mature though. I'm assuming a teacher said your child is too immature for kindergarten? If that's the case I would ask for examples of what she's observing that made her come to that conclusion.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 4:19 pm
amother [ Diamond ] wrote:
I don't think it's so simple to define it. But rather you can pick out who is immature. The way a teacher usually sees it is if most of the class does something easily and that child struggles. I wouldn't use the word mature though. I'm assuming a teacher said your child is too immature for kindergarten? If that's the case I would ask for examples of what she's observing that made her come to that conclusion.

I am trying to get her into a kindergarten and someone who’s seen her a few minutes in total said that. She did say it has nothing to do with her skills but kept repeating the word maturity which she couldn’t define. Re her skills, I know they are up to par and she wasn’t able to compare her to older children either…

amother
Diamond

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 4:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am trying to get her into a kindergarten and someone who’s seen her a few minutes in total said that. She did say it has nothing to do with her skills but kept repeating the word maturity which she couldn’t define. Re her skills, I know they are up to par and she wasn’t able to compare her to older children either…

Like a random person, or someone in the school who said that as a reason to reject her? If it's just someone random I would ignore it. I would only take it seriously if it's a professional who saw her in a testing/ official capacity.

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, Oct 27 2021, 5:15 pm
Immaturity would be if the child is not flexible, doesn't play with toys the way they are meant to be played with, has trouble sharing or taking turns, speaks in s babyish voice or acts silly Ina. Way that makes her stand out. Has difficulty understanding that the teacher is in charge and refuses to join in or follow commands often. Doesn't chat with her tablemates during eating time at all or inappropriately, Is always last to join the group, does dangerous things
These are some I can think of that would make me think a child is immature. Disclaimer: I don't know your child or your situation. Just giving my opinion about immaturity in general
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics