Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Taxi driver singing Jewish song
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 12:16 pm
Am I the only one that was seriously disturbed by this? A non-Yehudi singing such beautiful heilige words with such geshmack? I did NOT find it funny or cute. Just - yuck. Stick to your own music.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 12:19 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
This reminds me of the time I had a chiloni taxi driver. He didn't wear a kippah, he was in cutoff shorts and a rock band t-shirt. His cab reeked of cigarettes.

He was listening very intently to a chassidic shiur on the cd player, and never said a word to me. When he handed me my change, he dropped it from such a height that I had to use two hands to catch it!

It just goes to show that you can't judge people by their appearance, and you never know where someone is holding. It was pretty cool to watch someone in the middle of their journey to greater things.

I have often said someone needs to write a (nonfiction ) book about Israeli taxi driver encounters. It’s one of my favorite parts about visiting Israel

amother
Junglegreen

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 12:19 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Am I the only one that was seriously disturbed by this? A non-Yehudi singing such beautiful heilige words with such geshmack? I did NOT find it funny or cute. Just - yuck. Stick to your own music.

It’s a mitzvah for nonJews to worship Hashem also.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 12:20 pm
amother [ Junglegreen ] wrote:
I have often said someone needs to write a (nonfiction ) book about Israeli taxi driver encounters. It’s one of my favorite parts about visiting Israel

Yes very beautiful but the taxi driver is a Yid. A brother. Completely different situation from this video.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 12:26 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:

I hear, but on the flip side, if driving the bus were so awful, then it would extend to every aspect of driving by association and he'd hate the music. So there is a plus to this.
Just curious where the bus driver video was taken.

BH Yom Yom

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 12:27 pm
Reminds me of someone telling me that their cleaning lady loved the song “Anovim.” (Granted, she thought the words were, “I love him, I love him,” but okay.) LOL

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 12:28 pm
amother [ Junglegreen ] wrote:

Someone did:
https://www.amazon.com/Busdriv.....r=1-9

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 12:35 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I hear, but on the flip side, if driving the bus were so awful, then it would extend to every aspect of driving by association and he'd hate the music. So there is a plus to this.
Just curious where the bus driver video was taken.

I think it took place in Monsey

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 12:38 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I think it took place in Monsey

It looks like Rt 59 near the gas station. (Near Evergreen.)

Chayalle

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 12:39 pm
I was once in NPGS in Lakewood and one of the workers was sing "Ufaratzta!" and he sang it really well too.

Well, I also find myself humming whatever I hear, so why not?

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 12:42 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
It did disturb me a bit, the actual words of Kesser yitni lechu... However, then I thought that we always say that in L'asid Lavoi, the others will also acknowledge that Hashem Echad Ushmo Echad, so why can't this be a bit of that also? He is not desecrating it afaik.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 1:57 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:

Oh puhleez, lighten up....

amother
Cyclamen

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 2:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Really not.
One is a younger fellow.
The other is older. You can see the bags under his eyes. Totally different person.

ETA. I just rewatched both videos and I'm not so sure anymore.
In the one from satmar, the guy looks younger and thinner. The one from Monsey looks older and fatter somehow.
But maybe it's the way he is sitting.
In any case, it would make a lot of sense if it was the same guy. Especially being that they were bothe singing songs from the same CD.

I think the kesser video is an old clip from afew years ago.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 2:09 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:

How is this different than jews listening to and singing secular music? Everyone is entitled to sing whatever they want to. I think it's hilarious.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 2:11 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
It looks like Rt 59 near the gas station. (Near Evergreen.)

I think it's the gas station my Maple Corner Union, across the street from Eli's Bagels.

Blessing1

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 2:12 pm
BH Yom Yom wrote:
Reminds me of someone telling me that their cleaning lady loved the song “Anovim.” (Granted, she thought the words were, “I love him, I love him,” but okay.) LOL
LOL LOL LOL LOL this is so funny!!!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 2:38 pm
amother [ Cyclamen ] wrote:
I think the kesser video is an old clip from afew years ago.

No. You can see he is wearing a mask. So it must be recent-ish.

EtA. If I had to guess, these two videos were taken in the same week. As in, last week.

Firstly, he is wearing the same black gloves in both videos, and a sweater and hat. So it was obviously taken in cooler weather.

What I think happened is that he was tickled pink that the two chassidish guys filmed him singing Kesser. He realized that they thought he was cute.

So the next day he sat outside Evergreen (or wherever that was) with the window open and music blasting hoping someone else will notice and film him again. Sure enough, this lady saw and decided to film him singing.
Hence, both clips came out on the same day, or a day apart. Very Happy

amother
Cyclamen

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 2:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No. You can see he is wearing a mask. So it must be recent-ish

Oh you're right!!!
I think I recall a clip from years ago of a bus driver singing kesser. It makes sense though that other non jewish drivers would know the song as well.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 5:33 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:

OK, how about this? He's a famous Jewish singer.

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 5:38 pm
My Protestant born grandpa a”h who would have been 96 today could sing in Dutch really out loud “De He3r is mijn Herder” tehilim perek 23.

Or “Hijgend hert der jacht ontkomen” perek 43 of tehilim first verse. He knew a few by heart if I remember correctly he used to sing it in word war 2 on the bike when nijmegen was in the frontlines.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics