Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How Long???

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 12:40 pm
How long should it take for a 2 yo to adjust to no longer napping?

My ds2 dropped his nap over succos (on his own) and since then it has not been fun. He goes in at 6:30 now and he wakes up anytime between 5am and 7am. Since Succos he will randomly take a 20 minute nap during the afternoon, which then causes him not to fall asleep until after 8 which then causes him to wake up earlier the next morning for some reason so he's cranky the next day so he sleeps late the next morning.... its a cycle that doesn't end.
I recently stopped allowing him to take these 20 minute naps during the day and I am hoping that now his body will settle into a better pattern of sleeping 6:30 to 7. But...when does that happen?? He gets so cranky around 4:30. I know he doesn't need a nap in the afternoon so that is not a solution.
Any help?

And once we're on the topic, how do I get him to stay asleep past 5am? When he wakes up then, I see that he is still tired but once he is up, he is up for the day. Someone once suggested to me to use an 'ok to wake' clock but I'm not sure if he is too little for that (he does know his colors though..)

Any help with any of the above would be greatly appreciated!!!

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 12:52 pm
How about putting the nap back in at 12? Then move bedtime to 7/730. The 5am wakeups makes me think he is overtired.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 12:56 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
How about putting the nap back in at 12? Then move bedtime to 7/730. The 5am wakeups makes me think he is overtired.

But if he dropped the nap on his own, don't you think he doesn't need it? I feel like he just needs time to adjust to the new schedule. I also don't see him cooperating very well with napping again. He's a pretty strong minded kid...

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 1:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
But if he dropped the nap on his own, don't you think he doesn't need it? I feel like he just needs time to adjust to the new schedule. I also don't see him cooperating very well with napping again. He's a pretty strong minded kid...

Not very experienced, I have 2.7 toddler. Still napping. What about resting (that 20 min nap), just earlier in the day?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 1:05 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
Not very experienced, I have 2.7 toddler. Still napping. What about resting (that 20 min nap), just earlier in the day?

He's been doing the 20 minute rest, but not consistently and that messes him up even more

yiddishmom

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 1:10 pm
I just went through this.

My son turned two in August and a week or two later dropped his nap on his own. It took until this week for us to get in to a solid normal schedule.

We did have YT in the middle, which messed things up.

But, I realized something: When they drop their nap, even on their own, it doesn't mean that they will never need a nap again. The first few weeks, it'll be on an off. Take your child's cues if he does or doesn't need a nap for the day.

Also, keep in mind that we are switching the clock soon, and the days will start becoming darker. The darkness will bring on the tiredness earlier on, and he'll hopefully also stay sleeping in later in the morning.

#Happymom

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 1:14 pm
I find that with these things it's usually a phase, either you could wait it out for another few weeks, or you could reintroduce naps. because even if he can manage without them, he'll probably manage much better with them. It's a great stage because if you're out you've got no pressure to fine somewhere for him to nap, and if you're home, he can nap and you'll get some quiet time and a calmer afternoon.

stillnewlywed

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 1:15 pm
Doesn't sound like he was ready to drop his nap. Sometimes kids refuse to nap for a week or two and then they go back to napping. If he's not making it through the day happily you should put his nap back at his usual time. Some days he might not sleep, just rest, but I think you'll find that he will sleep on the days he needs it. Maybe every other day. When his nap is effecting his ability to fall asleep at bedtime, that's when you cut it out.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 1:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

For future reference, if a kid looks like he's dropping a nap, that doesn't mean he doesn't need it anymore. I'd say each of my kids "tried" to drop a nap for a couple of weeks, and I pushed through, and they continued napping for another year or more afterwards happily.

Do you "put him down" for that 20 minute nap? If so, he won't know the difference if you make it earlier, since he can't tell time (unless you tell him). If he falls asleep on his own, like on the floor or something, then he desperately needs the nap.

I'd give it a week or so of hard effort trying to reintroduce the nap. Stay calm, matter-of-fact, and don't feel tempted to explain anything beyond "It's naptime now." It should hopefully get easier after a week. If it doesn't, then I have no real advice for you...

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 1:20 pm
At that age I still put them in for an hour of down time. Even if they don't sleep they need it to survive the day.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 1:30 pm
I don't have any useful advice but wanted to say I have the same thing. Ds is the same age and will often end up falling asleep on the way home around 3.30. He then is wide awake until really late. And it doesn't help to say he should sleep earlier as he isn't tired then. I'm just hoping he'll get better at staying awake until bedtime.

amother
Tulip

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 1:33 pm
Nothing that wasn’t said already, but definitely try to keep the nap. Put him down around 12. Even if he just sleeps till 1 or so, will make a big difference in his day . And hopefully help with bed time and wake up time. Even if he dropped it on his own, may be just his strong will to be independent- but you stilll get to make the decisions. Good luck!

Oldest

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 1:34 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
I don't have any useful advice but wanted to say I have the same thing. Ds is the same age and will often end up falling asleep on the way home around 3.30. He then is wide awake until really late. And it doesn't help to say he should sleep earlier as he isn't tired then. I'm just hoping he'll get better at staying awake until bedtime.

Thank you for the validation!! As hard as this is its nice knowing I'm not the only one...

amother
Feverfew

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 3:06 pm
My son that just turned 2 wouldn't nap for 2 weeks or so. I still put him in his crib and let him talk and rest. He recently started napping again so I guess it was just a phase that passed bh
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics