Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Gel nails

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 10:09 pm
I want to get my nails done for my sister's wedding iyh. I've never done gel manicure. Can someone please explain to me what that is and how it's different from fake nails? And can I do it if I'm pregnant?

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 10:13 pm
It's not fake nails. It's polish that goes on your nails, dried with UV light and instantly dry so you can get right back to doing things without ruining your nails and it just wears longer without chipping. It will still eventually chip/peel/ etc. But it doesn't make your nails longer or anything like that.

Amarante

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 10:40 pm
The drawback to gel nails is that they can potentially damage your nails and make them weaker. People like them because they last longer without chipping but as posted they don't lengthen your nails like tips would.

If you get the occasional manicure, I think it makes more sense to get a regular manicure the day before the event because it will last long enough and not leave your nails weak when it is removed.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 10:44 pm
Wow thanks for the replies! I guess im but going to get the gel. And is it possible to just add tips to my nails so their a bit longer? What is that called please?

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 11:00 pm
One more thing - just so there are no surprises. Gel doesn't come off with regular nail polish remover.

betweenall12

Post Thu, Oct 28 2021, 11:53 pm
I’ve been getting gel for years never had an issue. They usually last a good 2-3 weeks before they start chipping. The downside to getting a regular mani is they can chip very easily, even when just washing dishes or taking a hot shower. If you want to take it off yourself you need to soak in 100% acetone NOT regular nail polish remover.
If you want to make your nails longer ask for tips or acrylics- it takes long to apply and it’s messy so not all places do it so check before you go.

Roots

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 12:22 am
I did gel a few times. im not a regular nail polisher lol but for close weddings and such I did have them done and I loved it. its just as the first replier said. its safe during pregnancy. and my nails are fine. maybe because I rarely do them (once a year)
(in israel everyone does them always- all my coworkers and clients etc so much more than regular manicures)

essie14

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 3:22 am
I've done gel several times, it makes my nails very weak afterwards. I like the look but rarely do it. You have to go back to the manicurist for removal. It's never worked well when I try to remove myself.
I prefer regular manicures.

bsy

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 8:35 am
On the rare occasions I do my nails, I do gel. After a week they peel off.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics