Home

Batsheva and her story- do yu have this name?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 12:27 pm
Hi! I really like the name Batsheva. I lwonder though why this name if she was taken by Dovid in this way? I do think that a name is associated with their personality. So, I wonder, how does it work? Someone with this name, what are your thoughts about what Batsheva did? Or really why use the name Dovid or Batsheva for this matter? Does anyone know more about what kind of person Batsheva she really was? Other than she was beautiful?
Back to top

amother




Blonde
 

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 12:39 pm
She was an important advisor to Shlomo Hamelech and a very righteous woman.
Back to top

Chayalle




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 12:40 pm
Some Meforshim say that Eishes Chayil was written for her.
Back to top

Good Friend




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 12:47 pm
My husband just gave a shiur that's somewhat related to this subject. To summarize the part that's relevant to your question- There was no gilui arayos taking place because Batsheva was divorced from her husband since all the soldiers divorced before going to battle, and Dovid Hamelech had already confirmed that they were not planning to remarry, that she was Tahor, and also established that she was worthy of having Shlomo Hamelech come from her.
The only mistake Dovid Hamelech made was doing it in a way that appeared wrong, it was maras ayin. The fact that they lost the first baby was because of that.
Back to top

amother




Rose
 

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 1:16 pm
Good Friend wrote:
My husband just gave a shiur that's somewhat related to this subject. To summarize the part that's relevant to your question- There was no gilui arayos taking place because Batsheva was divorced from her husband since all the soldiers divorced before going to battle, and Dovid Hamelech had already confirmed that they were not planning to remarry, that she was Tahor, and also established that she was worthy of having Shlomo Hamelech come from her.
The only mistake Dovid Hamelech made was doing it in a way that appeared wrong, it was maras ayin. The fact that they lost the first baby was because of that.


I've heard all of that except for the part about confirming that they weren't planning to remarry even if Uriah returned alive from battle. Do you have a source for that, or where do we see it in the text or Gemara or Midrash?
Back to top

PinkFridge




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 1:34 pm
Batsheva is called the Ima shel malchus.
There's so much we don't know about people from Tanach. We can often safely assume that the unknown is quite good.
Back to top

amother




Leaf
 

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 1:34 pm
Some give the name because of its literal meaning. I know a couple of Batsheva's who are the 7th daughter in their family:)
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 2:03 pm
Good Friend wrote:
My husband just gave a shiur that's somewhat related to this subject. To summarize the part that's relevant to your question- There was no gilui arayos taking place because Batsheva was divorced from her husband since all the soldiers divorced before going to battle, and Dovid Hamelech had already confirmed that they were not planning to remarry, that she was Tahor, and also established that she was worthy of having Shlomo Hamelech come from her.
The only mistake Dovid Hamelech made was doing it in a way that appeared wrong, it was maras ayin. The fact that they lost the first baby was because of that.



Thank u for your response!!
Back to top

amother




NeonPurple
 

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 2:11 pm
I know dozens of little Batshevas named after Rebbetzin Kanievsky. I know the original association is the Tanakh Batsheva but many people these days will assume Rebbetzin Kanievsky who was a huge tzadekes many times over
Back to top

Chayalle




 
 
 
 

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 2:20 pm
amother [ NeonPurple ] wrote:
I know dozens of little Batshevas named after Rebbetzin Kanievsky. I know the original association is the Tanakh Batsheva but many people these days will assume Rebbetzin Kanievsky who was a huge tzadekes many times over


Just to point out, her full name was Batsheva Esther.


OP my DD just had a Navi test last Monday, so I will share what we studied about Batsheva on Sunday.

Batsheva was the quintessential wise wife. At the end of David Hamelech's life, his son Adoniyah tried to sieze the Kingship. Nassan Hanavi heard of this, and he could have gone directly to the King, but he chose instead to go to Batsheva. He respected her wisdom and abilities, he felt she would do a better job.

And in fact Batsheva changed her approach from the one that Nassan Hanavi presented. Nassan was angry, but Batsheva remained respectful and calm. She stated the important points about Dovid's promise to her that Shlomo would be King, but she remained at all times respectful of her husband. She knew how to best present the arguement. And David was convinced, and appointed Shlomo as the King in his lifetime, as an answer to her.

She was no wimp, that's for sure.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 7:33 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Just to point out, her full name was Batsheva Esther.


OP my DD just had a Navi test last Monday, so I will share what we studied about Batsheva on Sunday.

Batsheva was the quintessential wise wife. At the end of David Hamelech's life, his son Adoniyah tried to sieze the Kingship. Nassan Hanavi heard of this, and he could have gone directly to the King, but he chose instead to go to Batsheva. He respected her wisdom and abilities, he felt she would do a better job.

And in fact Batsheva changed her approach from the one that Nassan Hanavi presented. Nassan was angry, but Batsheva remained respectful and calm. She stated the important points about Dovid's promise to her that Shlomo would be King, but she remained at all times respectful of her husband. She knew how to best present the arguement. And David was convinced, and appointed Shlomo as the King in his lifetime, as an answer to her.

She was no wimp, that's for sure.


That’s so interesting! Thank you so much for sharing!!!
Back to top

etky




 
 
 
 

Post Sat, Oct 30 2021, 12:34 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Just to point out, her full name was Batsheva Esther.


OP my DD just had a Navi test last Monday, so I will share what we studied about Batsheva on Sunday.

Batsheva was the quintessential wise wife. At the end of David Hamelech's life, his son Adoniyah tried to sieze the Kingship. Nassan Hanavi heard of this, and he could have gone directly to the King, but he chose instead to go to Batsheva. He respected her wisdom and abilities, he felt she would do a better job.

And in fact Batsheva changed her approach from the one that Nassan Hanavi presented. Nassan was angry, but Batsheva remained respectful and calm. She stated the important points about Dovid's promise to her that Shlomo would be King, but she remained at all times respectful of her husband. She knew how to best present the arguement. And David was convinced, and appointed Shlomo as the King in his lifetime, as an answer to her.

She was no wimp, that's for sure.


No, she wasn't.
However, Batsheva appears again, once again in the context of Adoniyahu, after David's death when she is the Queen Mother, and we see a different side to her.
Adoniyahuu appeals to her to intercede with Shlomo on his behalf to give him Avishag the Shunamite, his late father's concubine (with him he did not have relations) as a wife.
She agrees.
Shlomo however refused his mother's appeal, saw through Adoniyahu's attempt to garner political capital from this match, and, correctly interpreting it as a first step in מרידה במלכות he put Adoniyahu to death.
Here we see a different quality of Batsheva. Maybe a certain naivete or perhaps a desire to placate Adoniyahu - a potential rival to Shlomo - be advancing the marriage with Avishag and thus hopefully keeping him out of trouble. Or maybe just a simple desire, from the goodness of her heart, not to stand in the way of a shidduch.
Back to top

amother




Orchid
 

Post Sat, Oct 30 2021, 2:31 pm
OP, is it you yet AGAIN starting a baby name thread???
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 12:48 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
OP, is it you yet AGAIN starting a baby name thread???


Yes, my husband and I are having a hard time agreeing on a name. 😔 I like Batsheva, he does not.
Back to top

amother




Molasses
 

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 1:16 am
Don’t you have a grandmother or great grandmother you can name after? This seems so stressful!! Too many choices!!
Back to top

amother




Orchid
 

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 4:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes, my husband and I are having a hard time agreeing on a name. 😔 I like Batsheva, he does not.


The inspiration will come once the baby is born. It will just seem right.
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Last Letter Name a Place 2655 Today at 2:03 am View last post
Boys name after a Robert
by amother
8 Today at 2:03 am View last post
Last Letter Last Name 1624 Today at 1:37 am View last post
S/O Last Letter First Name 2266 Today at 12:26 am View last post
S/O Last letter, name a mood swing or feeling
by simcha4
1421 Yesterday at 7:05 pm View last post