Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
My baby needs glasses. Please give me chizuk
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 1:13 pm
Ever since my baby was like a month old, I noticed that her left eye went outwards a little bit and only sometimes ... It would happen occasionally. I mentioned it at her 6 mo checkup

Her pediatrician told me to take her to eye doctor

We finally got an appointment and my beautiful perfect kah 9 month old baby needs glasses bc she has strabismus and astagmitism Sad

I am devastated. Im a FTM. Shes an amazing baby with such beautiful middos. I love her so much. I cant stop crying since the doctor told me about the glasses.

Im taking my baby to get a second opinion.

But can a/o who has kids or babies with glasses please give me chizuk.

This is such a selfish thing for me to say, we have a family shoot planned. I cant imagine my perfect babys blue eyes being covered by glasses:(

Im crying as I type this. Im so nervous. will it ever get better?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 1:16 pm
my vision is perfect and my husband only started wearing @16. where did this come from? Sad
and yay going into shabbos and feeling sad and stressed!

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 1:17 pm
I don’t have experience with this BUT I did want to tell you that I totally get your feelings and honestly would feel the same way. Don’t let anyone tell you that you’re being shallow. Feel all the feels

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 1:18 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
I don’t have experience with this BUT I did want to tell you that I totally get your feelings and honestly would feel the same way. Don’t let anyone tell you that you’re being shallow. Feel all the feels

my husband is just silent now... which is what I need bc im not the type to want him to talk to me atm. my mother told "its just glassed dw!! its better she can see."

but im feeling sad, anxious, stressed, vain, and angry that this is happening to my baby. she doesnt deserve this

amother
Stone

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 1:18 pm
Yes! My child got glasses at the same age. I was sad about his eyes being covered as well especially since he had to have miraflex the first two years because I was NOT about to be in the store for repairs every other day.
But he ended up looking adorable. He got loads of positive attention because of the glasses. It was the cutest thing, and it was the best thing for him because now he could see!
I wish I could show you a picture. It really was the cutest ever. Everyone I met gave me compliments.
I was so so glad I could easily fix his problem and that we caught it so early on.
I did a photoshoot a couple months after he got the glasses and the pictures came out adorable. I made sure to ask the photographer if they knew how to take pictures without getting glasses glare. It’s pretty simple , the chin needs to be down a bit, but with babies the photographer needs to know how to angle the camera as well.

amother
Almond

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 1:21 pm
Don't most children with strabismus outgrow it eventually? Hopefully in another few years her eyes will be perfect.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 1:21 pm
amother [ Stone ] wrote:
Yes! My child got glasses at the same age. I was sad about his eyes being covered as well especially since he had to have miraflex the first two years because I was NOT about to be in the store for repairs every other day.
But he ended up looking adorable. He got loads of positive attention because of the glasses. It was the cutest thing, and it was the best thing for him because now he could see!
I wish I could show you a picture. It really was the cutest ever. Everyone I met gave me compliments.
I was so so glad I could easily fix his problem and that we caught it so early on.
I did a photoshoot a couple months after he got the glasses and the pictures came out adorable. I made sure to ask the photographer if they knew how to take pictures without getting glasses glare. It’s pretty simple , the chin needs to be down a bit, but with babies the photographer needs to know how to angle the camera as well.

Thanks. Im sure hes a cutie.
What is miraflex? Im new to all of this... I literally got home an hour ago.
Does your son still wear glasses?

mfb

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 1:26 pm
I can totally hear your feelings.
Just wanted to put it out there that you can take off the glasses for some of the pictures when you do the photo shoot and then decide later which ones you like better.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 1:28 pm
mfb wrote:
I can totally hear your feelings.
Just wanted to put it out there that you can take off the glasses for some of the pictures when you do the photo shoot and then decide later which ones you like better.

great idea tysm

amother
Stone

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 1:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks. Im sure hes a cutie.
What is miraflex? Im new to all of this... I literally got home an hour ago.
Does your son still wear glasses?

Miraflex is a brand for baby frames. It’s flexible and completely indestructible. And has a thing in the back to keep it in place. The thingie is supposed to be kept below the hairline.
Be aware that many glasses stores do not know how to fit children correctly.
If you’re in Brooklyn I can tell you which stores are good and I can give you a couple recommendations for second opinions of eye doctors as well.
Yes my son is still in glasses. He has a long history with his vision but is BH doing really well these days. At his age no one comments on it anymore because it’s normal but when he was a baby he had a tshirt that said “yes my glasses are real”. It was so cute. He also loved any pjs with teddy bears or anything in glasses. We also got a few books that had pictures of kids with glasses.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 1:30 pm
does this mean my baby hasnt been seeing properly for 9 months? Sad
does a/o know what eye prescriptions mean and how to interpret...

right is her sph. is -1.50, cyl is +2.00 and axis is 090
left eye (her 'bad' eye) sph is -2.00 , cyl is +2.50 and axis is 110

this is gibberish to me

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 1:31 pm
amother [ Stone ] wrote:
Miraflex is a brand for baby frames. It’s flexible and completely indestructible. And has a thing in the back to keep it in place. The thingie is supposed to be kept below the hairline.
Be aware that many glasses stores do not know how to fit children correctly.
If you’re in Brooklyn I can tell you which stores are good and I can give you a couple recommendations for second opinions of eye doctors as well.
Yes my son is still in glasses. He has a long history with his vision but is BH doing really well these days. At his age no one comments on it anymore because it’s normal but when he was a baby he had a tshirt that said “yes my glasses are real”. It was so cute. He also loved any pjs with teddy bears or anything in glasses. We also got a few books that had pictures of kids with glasses.

I live in long island but ill travel anywhere
can u plz share dr for a 2nd opinion? and what stores to go to?
tysm

amother
Almond

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 1:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
does this mean my baby hasnt been seeing properly for 9 months? Sad
does a/o know what eye prescriptions mean and how to interpret...

right is her sph. is -1.50, cyl is +2.00 and axis is 090
left eye (her 'bad' eye) sph is -2.00 , cyl is +2.50 and axis is 110

this is gibberish to me

Looks like mild nearsightedness and moderate astigmatism.
Did the doctor say that she'll outgrow it? I don't think nearsightedness is usually outgrown.

amother
PlumPink

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 1:35 pm
She will still look adorable and as a mother your job is to help her. Don’t you want her to be able to see?

amother
Valerian

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 1:36 pm
Hi Op

My adorable sugar sweet daughter got glasses around the same age as your child. I reacted the same way as you are. She has a sugar sweet gorgeous face and I feel that it's gonna be hidden when she had the glasses on. She ended up looking adorable with the glasses actually added to her face so much it looks like a jewelry piece on her. I got so many compliments wherever I went people went crazy over her looks. we did a photoshoot as well a 1/2 year later, specifically got glasses with an anti glare lens its little more money but it was worth it.

I was told my daughter's gonna outgrow it in teenage years

amother
OP

amother [ PlumPink ] wrote:
She will still look adorable and as a mother your job is to help her. Don’t you want her to be able to see?

not helpful

amother
Rainbow

I have a nephew who got glasses as a baby, he looked like such a little man, it was cute.

I was also going to say take off the glasses for some of the pictures.

it will be an adjustment but I think in the end it's not something that is beyond being able to adjust to and you will prob look back at this day and realize e/t turned out ok in the end.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 1:37 pm
amother [ Valerian ] wrote:
Hi Op

My adorable sugar sweet daughter got glasses around the same age as your child. I reacted the same way as you are. She has a sugar sweet gorgeous face and I feel that it's gonna be hidden when she had the glasses on. She ended up looking adorable with the glasses actually added to her face so much it looks like a jewelry piece on her. I got so many compliments wherever I went people went crazy over her looks. we did a photoshoot as well a 1/2 year later, specifically got glasses with an anti glare lens its little more money but it was worth it.

thanks.
where did you get glasses from?
how did you ensure she kept them on?
she hates anything on her... headbands clips..

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 1:38 pm
amother [ Almond ] wrote:
Looks like mild nearsightedness and moderate astigmatism.
Did the doctor say that she'll outgrow it? I don't think nearsightedness is usually outgrown.

the doctor was quite rude and said "I cant predict the future. its not such a big deal"
what is nearsightedness vs. astigmatism? arent they the same?

amother
Bellflower

Post Fri, Oct 29 2021, 1:38 pm
My daughter started at 3. It was emotional I imagine it’s even harder for you. But now it’s years later and I can’t imagine her any other way. Many stores don’t fit babies correctly. They should never be wider than their face. You don’t want to see the lens go past the side of their face, and it shouldn’t take up half their face. If you are on Facebook the group “for little eyes- a group for parents... “ is an excellent group for help with correct fitting. It’s not Jewish but there are many Jews in it.
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics