Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Which book cover? [poll]
1  2  3  Next

Which are you more likely to buy?
Option A  
 50%  [ 66 ]
Option B  
 50%  [ 66 ]
Total Votes : 132

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 11:20 am
Title: LIMINAL

Emotionally repressed firefighter Libby visits her estranged mother’s grave after an ultimatum from her boss – face her demons or resign. The lonely trip resurrects a heartache Libby buried long ago, prompting her to finally confront her past after years of stubborn denial.

That night, Libby finds herself trapped in a lucid dream with her childhood self, desperate to heal a lifetime of unresolved grief. Together they plod through unsettlingly familiar places cloaked in a heavy fog felt but never seen. Libby relentlessly and painfully pieces together fragmented memories and their collective meanings, yet the door to the waking world remains locked.

Her years spent heavily policing the borders of her mind have resulted in an existential disconnect. When the portal to consciousness is eclipsed by another, more ominous door, Libby suspects she’s hovering between far more than awake and asleep. Logic and factual understanding won’t be enough to free her from her demons - or from the dream. Libby’s neglected inner child waited a long time for her arrival and isn’t about to let her go without finishing what she came here to do.

Genre straddles the line between psychological thriller and psychological horror. Similar works (films) include Jacob's Ladder and The Babadook. Which of these covers would make you more likely to buy the book?

OPTION A

OPTION B

tigerwife

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 11:25 am
Wow, that sounds epic. Option B definitely strikes the horror genre. If it’s really not all that horrific thoughout, I’d go with A.

This is exciting! When is this book coming out?

1ofbillions

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 11:29 am
Can I just say - you’re adorable, Kiwi! You’re such a beautiful person inside and out.

Love that this publisher is allowing you to show your face.

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 11:35 am
tigerwife wrote:
Wow, that sounds epic. Option B definitely strikes the horror genre. If it’s really not all that horrific thoughout, I’d go with A.

This is exciting! When is this book coming out?

Thank you! I like that A is more unique and "cleaner" (the design is less busy). It also captures so much of the book at a single glance. Option B is definitely more horror-y, and is actually a scene straight out of the book. They're both so good, I don't know which to pick! lol

I wouldn't say the book is "horrific throughout," but it's got an unsettling feel to it. There's an increasing awareness that something is around the corner... ;-)

I'm still writing it. It's fully outlined and I have the beginning and end and a bunch of stuff in the middle already drafted, but it'll probably be at least another few weeks until I finish the first full draft. (Or longer if my mental health doesn't keep up enough. Oh how I'm trying... this is what's powering me through right now. It might be "just fiction" but it's a meaningful project to me, and being productive and creative keeps me chugging forward.)

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 11:39 am
1ofbillions wrote:
Can I just say - you’re adorable, Kiwi! You’re such a beautiful person inside and out.

Love that this publisher is allowing you to show your face.

Aww you're sweet. The publisher is me, so... ;-)

After 8 traditionally published books, I'm going indie. And it's more fun than I expected! I get to choose my own cover designer and typesetter/layout designer, etc. etc. etc. It's also much less pricy than I feared. Setting up shop on KDP once I get this book ready for print. I need to figure out my author platform and stuff (marketing and self-promotion are soooo cringingly not my forte!!), but one thing at a time.

amother
Clover

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 11:46 am
I chose A but the coloring on B is sharper. Any way to sharpen A?

gr82no

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 12:02 pm
What does liminal mean?
I’d be more likely to read option b looks more interesting.
From reading the back of the book I want to read the book.
Great job!

Redbird

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 12:03 pm
I think both covers are great. I looked at them before reading the description.

Option A looks more current. Because it's more clean and "flat" But it made me think maybe it's a about an adult and childs relationship.

I voted for option B. Because it is a really good depiction of a disrupted childhood. So it's way more on target for the topic of the book.

By the way, I would totally love to read this book when it comes out. It looks great!

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 12:04 pm
amother [ Clover ] wrote:
I chose but the coloring on B is sharper. Any way to sharpen A?

I'm confused... A is black and white.

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 12:04 pm
Redbird wrote:
I think both covers are great. I looked at them before reading the description.

Option A looks more current. Because it's more clean and "flat" But it made me think maybe it's a about an adult and childs relationship.

I voted for option B. Because it is a really good depiction of a disrupted childhood. So it's way more on target for the topic of the book.

By the way, I would totally love to read this book when it comes out. It looks great!

Thanks!

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 12:09 pm
I like B better.
Can’t wait to read it.
I own and love your other book With All I Am
Let us know when this is on the market!
You rock! Heart

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 12:09 pm
gr82no wrote:
What does liminal mean?
I’d be more likely to read option b looks more interesting.
From reading the back of the book I want to read the book.
Great job!

According to the literal definition: "Liminal" refers to transition spaces, like hallways or stairwells. It's an architecture term.

According to more modern usage: "Liminal" also refers to uncomfortably familiar spaces, usually empty rooms out of context, often ones that depict the vibe of bygone eras. For example, a 90s-style arcade, but empty and during nighttime hours. Or an old living room or playroom that has been abandoned. There are whole YouTube videos dedicated to the concept. Uncomfortable vague familiarity, slight distortion of the familiar.

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 12:10 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
I like B better.
Can’t wait to read it.
I own and love your other book With All I Am
Let us know when this is on the market!
You rock! Heart

Oh wow, thank you!!!! This brought me to actual tears. Wow.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 12:15 pm
B is to scary looking for my taste. I will more likely pick up A.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 12:18 pm
Your poll is pretty even.
You can’t go wrong with either one!

banana123

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 12:26 pm
Iymnok wrote:

Same. I don't read horror stories. But a story about a personal journey, which is what cover A portrays, I might pick up.

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 12:28 pm
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Your poll is pretty even.
You can’t go wrong with either one!

I'm surprised actually!!! I'm running this poll in a few different places (writers groups, Facebook, etc.) trying to gauge whether it makes a difference. My own makeshift market research lol.

I love them both. I love the emotional vibe (and impressive artwork!) of B, but I love the uniqueness and "concise" nature of A.

So far A is winning in one of the writers groups, B is winning in a landslide Facebook (I might post it in a few different groups on Facebook to try to weed out the "piggyback effect" that happens sometimes in single threads), and it's pretty even so far everywhere else.

Writing professionals might KNOW books best, but this really needs to be decided by the people who BUY books...

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 12:30 pm
banana123 wrote:
Same. I don't read horror stories. But a story about a personal journey, which is what cover A portrays, I might pick up.

Thanks for this! I like that about A also. There are horror elements for sure, but I originally categorized it as thriller vs. horror. I also thought the ending was more in line with thriller vs. horror. But I would say the same about Jacob's Ladder and The Babadook, both of which are classed as horror, so...

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 12:32 pm
Iymnok wrote:

Thanks! But then would you feel tricked when you hit a scene like B in the book?

meiravit

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 12:33 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
I'm confused... A is black and white.

I know what she means. I voted B because it looks more real and vivid. But I actually like A's imagery better. Any way to make them more crisp and realistic, as popping out on the page as B?

I hope I'm explaining myself!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club