Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Ballet

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 11:59 am
I’d love to bring my daughter to a ballet. The nutcracker is a great starter ballet but I realized it’s heavy Xmas centered… anyone brought ur child or has any alternative recommendations?

Amarante

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 12:59 pm
I love the ballet and had a season pass when I lived in New York City.

Nutcracker is traditionally a holiday excursion because of the theme and that there is theoretically a child dancing one of the parts and very fanciful themes as the toys come to life. And of course the moment when the tree rises is quite magical. And the costumes are quite colorful and fanciful.

I wasn't shielded from those kinds of "secular" Xmas stuff when I was a child. It was all around me when growing up and I just accepted it as something non-Jewish people did just as I accepted that other cultures and other religions did certain things. It wasn't overtly Xtian anymore than going to a mall and seeing decorations was. It was just something very exotic - like a fairy tale that took place in a place that didn't really exist. To me it was no more "religious" than watching the Chinese Dragon parade during their New Year celebration - just a different culture and I recognized that it wasn't my culture or religion. It didn't make me envious or want to celebrate in that manner.

Swan Lake and Sleeping Beauty are two classic ballets that you could also consider if you want to completely avoid Nutcracker. There is nothing that is as iconic as the corps dancing as swans in their tutus. It is what every little girl fantasizes ballet is all about.

ETA - Preschool age is a bit young to be able to sit through a long ballet. It would be best to wait a bit unless you could find a program that was geared to children so that it only had a relatively short program.

Last edited by Amarante on Sun, Oct 31 2021, 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 1:07 pm
look on you tube for other stories that are danced. like swan lake. you can also get dvds from the library of ballets.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 31 2021, 1:21 pm
Amarante wrote:
I love the ballet and had a season pass when I lived in New York City.

Nutcracker is traditionally a holiday excursion because of the theme and that there is theoretically a child dancing one of the parts and very fanciful themes as the toys come to life. And of course the moment when the tree rises is quite magical. And the costumes are quite colorful and fanciful.

I wasn't shielded from those kinds of "secular" Xmas stuff when I was a child. It was all around me when growing up and I just accepted it as something non-Jewish people did just as I accepted that other cultures and other religions did certain things. It wasn't overtly Xtian anymore than going to a mall and seeing decorations was. It was just something very exotic - like a fairy tale that took place in a place that didn't really exist.

Swan Lake and Sleeping Beauty are two classic ballets that you could also consider if you want to completely avoid Nutcracker. There is nothing that is as iconic as the corps dancing as swans in their tutus. It is what every little girl fantasizes ballet is all about.

ETA - Preschool age is a bit young to be able to sit through a long ballet. It would be best to wait a bit unless you could find a program that was geared to children so that it only had a relatively short program.

Thanks so much for that detailed answered. ❤️
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers