Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Book inquiry

rainbow

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 6:23 am
A book that can guide one in cross-examining a man on trial for failing to pay child support. He claims he is learning in kollel when in fact he is working.

How does one cross-examine him?

Anyone know of a book that can help?

ruth

Post Thu, Jun 19 2008, 10:31 pm
How do you know that he is working?
Forget the cross-examination, get someone to follow him and document where he actually goes.
The DA has a child support court, call them to help you out... subpoena credit agencies (to discover credit cards) he may be able to hide income by getting cash, but it is very hard to live now a days without a credit card or bank acct.
The DMV will revoke his license and go after his bank acct.

If you are getting any kind of aid (Medicaid, food stamps....) the DPSS will go to the DA for help to collect and rather than go to you they get it.

Otherwise:
"how do you pay your rent?" (if he answers,"I get a stipend from the kollel." have the court make him prove it... utility bills, cell phone bill, car insurance bills, bring documentation to prove who pays for this. BTW the IRS considers 3rd party payments as income. Let the IRS go after him too.

"Where is the kollel that you learn at?"
"What hours?"
"who is the rosh kollel?" Get a declaration from the (so-called) rosh kollel -- maybe have the rosh kollel given a siruv (summons) to beit din.

but remember don't make yourself crazy in the process. Results aren't going to happen quickly. I know a woman who's ex transferred the family business to a relative. Instead of collecting a salary, the business just paid everything for him. The lawyer couldn't do much about it. But maybe it was because she wasn't skilled or motivated enough.

Crayon210

Post Thu, Jun 19 2008, 10:47 pm
rainbow wrote:
A book that can guide one in cross-examining a man on trial for failing to pay child support. He claims he is learning in kollel when in fact he is working.

How does one cross-examine him?

Anyone know of a book that can help?

I'm confused. Why do you need a book? Why not an attorney? Scratching Head

shosh

Post Fri, Jun 20 2008, 12:07 am
These men are very clever, and it is not so easy. I don't know what country you are talking about, but here in Israel my ex is working for a chessed organization. As soon as I went for garnishing his salary, he "went voluntary" and they now pay him in kind - use of a car, free food, clothing, etc. (It's so ironic - he works distributing food to needy families and leaves his own kids to go hungry!) Even though it's pretty obvious he's working, the authorities do nothing .... I am preparing to sue him again anyway, and my lawyer is working hard on the case, but it's a tough, laborious process.

Raisin

Post Fri, Jun 20 2008, 1:57 am
shosh wrote:
These men are very clever, and it is not so easy. I don't know what country you are talking about, but here in Israel my ex is working for a chessed organization. As soon as I went for garnishing his salary, he "went voluntary" and they now pay him in kind - use of a car, free food, clothing, etc. (It's so ironic - he works distributing food to needy families and leaves his own kids to go hungry!) Even though it's pretty obvious he's working, the authorities do nothing .... I am preparing to sue him again anyway, and my lawyer is working hard on the case, but it's a tough, laborious process.

Maybe you could get people to call the chessed org? That sounds crazy.

shosh

Post Fri, Jun 20 2008, 5:51 am
Tried that, but it's very interesting. Those who could call seem to be scared of the pple who run it, or they don't want to get involved. Interesting how corruption exists even in chessed organizations, isn't it?

And then there are those who say, "What do you want us to do? Hound him to the ends of the earth? If you let him work there, maybe one day he'll pay you ...." But he still doesn't!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room