Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Miriam- why bitter water??

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 9:31 am
Hi! Why name this name?? Bitter waters??? Please help!

Dandelion21

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 9:35 am
Because in essence it's a beautiful name

finallyamommy

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 9:39 am
Because Miriam in Tanach was awesome.

Because it sounds pretty and Miri is a gorgeous nickname.

After relatives maybe.

Because it’s one of those names that sounds good with almost anything.

I can’t use it, myself, but it’s one of my favorites.

Hashemlovesme1

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 9:40 am
From Aish.com
Miriam מרים
Miriam appears in the Bible as a prophet and the sister of Moses and Aaron (Exodus 15:20). Miriam means "bitter sea," because she was born at a time when the Egyptians embittered the lives of the Jews. Miriam, however, remained sweet despite the hardships around her, giving Jews courage in those difficult times. (Midrash Yalkut Shimoni - Exodus 165) (variations: Mirel, Mirele, Mimi)

Here’s the link if you’re looking into lots of girls names! This can be helpful! They have a boys version too.
https://www.aish.com/jl/l/b/48.....e=yes

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 9:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi! Why name this name?? Bitter waters??? Please help!

No one uses this name for it's literal meaning, which happens to reflect an important historical time in Benai Yisrael's history.

It's used to name after Miriam, an amazing prophetess and leader in her time. She was a midwife who defied paroh's orders. She stood up to her father and caused his reunification with Yocheved, and led to Moshe's birth. She guarded Moshe when he was left in the water. She led the women of her time in their emunah and bitachon, bringing instruments and leading them to sing and thank Hashem. The entire nation had fresh water and well in her merit in the desert. She also merited to marry a tzaddik (kalev) and had a son who was a tzaddik and died Al kiddush shaim Hashem (chur).

Ima_Shelli

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 10:14 am
And Leah means empty and Rochel is a sheep but I still love all these names…

amother
Dill

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 10:46 am
I have a four year old Miriam, and we call her Miri at home! It is the cutest name. Beautiful on a baby and an adult.

Named for my grandmother and the time of year ( before pesach)- so the prophetess herself!

This name itself is so powerful! It represents going from difficult bitter times to geula. It was given as she was born as we entered one of the darkest time in our nations history and then Miriam became a pivitol force for the geula that turned us into a nation.

Miriam haNaviah teaches us to speak up for what's right. And also reminds us that no matter how choshuv you are, you need to be careful with what we say and to whom (sheish zechiros).

Such an awesome name!!! So many are, but this one is great! Bonus that it is pronounceable.

BH Yom Yom

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 11:05 am
One pshat I learned is that Miriam comes from two words - mar (bitter) מר and meri (rebellion) מרי. Her name signifies rebellion against bitterness, saying, no, we do not resign ourselves to tzaros - we can daven and Hashem can extricate us from mitzrayim.

amother
Raspberry

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 11:29 am
Miriam means "mar yam" (sea of bitterness - signifying the bitter time in which the Prophetess was born) and "mairim" (to uplift - signifying that Miriam would lift up the Jewish nation from their bitterness).

It is a powerful name, with two sides to it - the quality of bitterness, and the quality of uplifting. I am Miriam, and I see this theme clearly in my life and personality. When I choose to sink in bitter thoughts, I bring more bitterness to myself and others. When I choose to rise above challenges and lift up others around me, I am shocked at my emotional power and they impact I make for good.

If you choose this name, may your Miriam always be "mairim" herself and others during the "mar" parts of life!

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 11:50 am
I’m actually really into name meanings. We have a Dena for family reasons (that’s meaningful enough for me) and our rav suggested we add Miriam for specific reasons. She was born the week of Shabbos Shira. It was only later I realized she’s named Bitter Judgement 😳😳😳😳.

There is obviously a lot more behind it than the literal translations as others have explained.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names