Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
I'm just not making it!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 10:52 pm
With all these price increases I'm just not making it!! We barely manage to save anything a month and we drain every last penny to pay our bills!

I finally asked for a 5k raise at work and got it, but that's less than $300 a month and its just not working!

Gas has gone up, tuition has gone up, food prices are insane no matter how hard I try to be careful, now we just got our property tax bill and that is going up about $50 monthly on our mortgage. every little things is adding up like crazy and mine and DH's paychecks are not increasing as fast as all this.

Help! what am I supposed to do?!

amother
Cinnamon

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 11:24 pm
This issue is making me sick. We have less than we’ve ever left in the bank. No savings. I don’t know what to do. Tearing my hair out due to stress and anxiety.

amother
Alyssum

Post Mon, Nov 01 2021, 11:29 pm
Anything you can cut, even if it means more work for you? I'm thinking things like take out, frozen ready made food, cleaning help/babysitting, etc.

Can you get a discount on anything you already use? Some phone companies will offer discounts if you switch to a different carrier, some stores have saving cards for discounts, you may be able to get loan payments reduced slightly per month, or get a lower interest credit card instead of a higher interest one (which should hopefully lower your monthly bills).

No idea what part of the world you're in, but if you are in the US, there are some Covid benefits you can try to apply for.

I wish I had great answers for you - I'm still trying to find them myself!

amother
Milk

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 12:12 am
amother [ Alyssum ] wrote:
Anything you can cut, even if it means more work for you? I'm thinking things like take out, frozen ready made food, cleaning help/babysitting, etc.

Can you get a discount on anything you already use? Some phone companies will offer discounts if you switch to a different carrier, some stores have saving cards for discounts, you may be able to get loan payments reduced slightly per month, or get a lower interest credit card instead of a higher interest one (which should hopefully lower your monthly bills).

No idea what part of the world you're in, but if you are in the US, there are some Covid benefits you can try to apply for.

if you're not making it...using credit cards is one of the worst things you can do. avoid even lower interest cards if you cant pay off the card each month..otherwise it will snowball

amother
Hydrangea

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 3:44 am
Same. I’m losing my mind. I don’t see any light at the end of the tunnel here and am working a million hours a week at a job that has long since burned me out.

amother [ OP ] wrote:
With all these price increases I'm just not making it!! We barely manage to save anything a month and we drain every last penny to pay our bills!

I finally asked for a 5k raise at work and got it, but that's less than $300 a month and its just not working!

Gas has gone up, tuition has gone up, food prices are insane no matter how hard I try to be careful, now we just got our property tax bill and that is going up about $50 monthly on our mortgage. every little things is adding up like crazy and mine and DH's paychecks are not increasing as fast as all this.

Help! what am I supposed to do?!

amother
Jasmine

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 6:31 am
I think Americans realize by now that all the stimulus money you got is going right back to the government plus plus plus much more.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 7:17 am
Same struggle here. I’ve been feeling very scared and stressed lately . DH also is owed money by his clients. He finally got paid by one of them and the check bounced.
I kept replaying Benny Friedman’s “A Yid Never Breaks” song , to keep me going.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 7:42 am
I work full time which completely exhausts me and leaves me with no energy left for kids or housework and the expenses keep piling up. Food, gas, and other necessities are neverendingly increasing. It's so sad that my whole life is so stressful and I can't even have money left to enjoy my life because of all the bills. I make a decent salary but frum life is so expensive - if I didn't have tuition, I would be fine.
It's really really hard

amother
Blueberry

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 7:52 am
amother [ Jasmine ] wrote:
I think Americans realize by now that all the stimulus money you got is going right back to the government plus plus plus much more.

Many of us didnt get all the stimulus money. Yes, we knew this was going to happen. We now have a society where no one wants to work. Businesses are forced to pay employees more, this causes the prices to go up.

amother
Lily

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 10:27 am
I’m thinking of biking with my kids to school to save money on gas..but I’m scared of getting hit by a car.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 10:32 am
Its not like I wanted the government to do this. I would have gladly do away with the stimulus but its not exactly my choice.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 10:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Its not like I wanted the government to do this. I would have gladly do away with the stimulus but its not exactly my choice.

So if you live in nj vote for jack today
That’s your hishtadlus to combat the crazy price increases

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 10:36 am
amother [ Alyssum ] wrote:

can you give me more details on covid benefits I can apply for? thanks!

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 10:37 am
I know Crying I used to coupon and you just really can’t anymore I was in the store almost no sale stuff not like it used to be. I hope something changes soon living is getting crazy.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 10:37 am
amother [ Junglegreen ] wrote:
So if you live in nj vote for jack today
That’s your hishtadlus to combat the crazy price increases

yes! I do! and this will be my first time voting! I'm doing that later today Smile

allgood

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 10:59 am
For us it helped to look at every category we were spending money in and then find ways to reduce it.
Spending less on things I feel I need to be able to work just wasnt an option for us so cleaning help stayed the same as did our stock of freezer ready food.

Maybe we can start a spinoff of ways people found to cut back
For example moving away from a brand name cell provider saved us about 120 a month.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 2:17 pm
the thing is I really do try to save on whatever I can.

I never do takeout. we never go out anywhere since I don't' want to pay a babysitter, I already only pay $25 a month on my cell phone bill. that's pretty cheap!

I was able to get a Covid reimbursement on DH's HI he gets thru the marketplace. we called our internet service and got some type of deduction there too.

I just don't' know what else. just the basics are sooo expensive.

(the only thing is cleaning help. but DH and I both work lots of hours and its just not an option to cut back, so I have 6 hours of help a week but I won't rid of that...)

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 3:10 pm
I am so so sorry. A lot of people are in the same boat. I'm not going to go on a political rant since I'm anon and this is not the right section, but this isn't your fault, this is failed leadership. All we can do is daven for things to get better and vote for better leadership!

amother
Thistle

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 3:33 pm
amother [ Cornsilk ] wrote:
I work full time which completely exhausts me and leaves me with no energy left for kids or housework and the expenses keep piling up. Food, gas, and other necessities are neverendingly increasing. It's so sad that my whole life is so stressful and I can't even have money left to enjoy my life because of all the bills. I make a decent salary but frum life is so expensive - if I didn't have tuition, I would be fine.
It's really really hard

Why did you pick "tuition"? It is a basic necessity.
If you didn't have a mortgage,you would also be fine! Wink

amother
Hawthorn

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 3:42 pm
Can u sell anything?

I sold an older wig through Doppeldanger wigs. A treadmill and I know ppl who sell on ebay or postmark.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics