Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Nail polish chipping: what am I doing wrong?

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 1:23 am
I'm doing my own nails, but I dont remember the results being that much better the couple of times ever that I got them done. I'm using Essie Gel Couture which is supposed to last over a week. It's chipping or wearing off at the ends after a day. Without washing dishes or anything like that, being pretty gentle. I've heard that you can extend the life of a manicure by refreshing the top coat every day or two but this isn't even lasting long enough to make it to that day or two. So frustrating! What am I doing wrong?

My nails are not long, most don't even reach the ends of my fingers, so it's not that they're bumping into things or rubbing against anything. When I'm not doing housework, I live a very gentle lifestyle, I think. When I am doing housework, if I've recently tried to do my nails then I wear gloves.

Help

twizzlers1

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 3:36 am
I'm sorry I have tried tons of nail polish and I haven't found one that lasted me more than a day or two. I think that's why most people get shell or there's even something that's called dip that lasted even longer. They both last me until I have it taken off. It just doesn't look good because it grows out. I would also love to find a regular polish that lasted more than 2 days.

#Happymom

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 6:24 am
I have the same issue! it's such a shame. I was thinking of buying more expensive polish, maybe that will help. what brands do the salons use?

zaq

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 6:57 am
1. Wipe your nails with alcohol or polish remover to remove all cream or oil before polishing.
2. Use your thumb to remove a hair’s breadth of polish from the edge of each nail before it starts to dry.
3. Make sure polish is 100% dry before doing anything. Let it air dry without blowing on it. Blowing dries a thin top layer like a skin while the rest is still wet.

amother
Feverfew

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 1:18 pm
I think it's because you're using your hands. The less I do anything with my hands after applying nail polish, the longer it lasts.

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 1:24 pm
zaq wrote:
1. Wipe your nails with alcohol or polish remover to remove all cream or oil before polishing.
2. Use your thumb to remove a hair’s breadth of polish from the edge of each nail before it starts to dry.
3. Make sure polish is 100% dry before doing anything. Let it air dry without blowing on it. Blowing dries a thin top layer like a skin while the rest is still wet.

That's pretty much what I do... doesn't help

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 1:26 pm
amother [ Feverfew ] wrote:
I think it's because you're using your hands. The less I do anything with my hands after applying nail polish, the longer it lasts.

Not sure I understand this. I try to avoid things that would obviously stress out a manicure but I'm not exactly sitting around all day looking pretty. I'm a teacher, though, so it's not very intense on the hands... I don't get it.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 1:57 pm
I stopped wearing polish for this reason. I try to keep my nails well groomed and buffed and that's it. When I get them done they just last an extra day or 2 so what's the point.

I do find that OPI polish lasts longer and is easier to apply (I tried the gel type formulas but they were a waste of money too).

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 2:11 pm
OPI. Noted. Essie had really good reviews online and I love the colors and was taken in by the claim of longer lasting "gel" effect, but it's just not holding up.

amother
Mimosa

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 2:16 pm
I have the same issue. I don’t polish them myself, I get the done. I’m a sheitel macher and work with my hands. I don’t even bother with reg polish it lasts a day. But even gel and dip powder I can’t get to last!! It’s sooo frustrating! I spent $45 and French gel for a wedding and it was chipped after 3 days on a few nails. Powder picks up in the corners after a few days and makes working with hair a nightmare. I really appreciate having my nails done, makes me feel so good but I feel like it ends up causing me more frustration...

Mishmish

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 4:16 pm
I like Static Nails—can often get 3-4 days out of a polish and it dries very quickly and thoroughly.

hodeez

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 4:21 pm
What about short acrylic nails, like from Kiss? They're like $5 from Walmart and last about a week. And if they're too long you can file them down and adjust to your desired length

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 8:07 pm
op are you getting enough vitamin D a nd calcium

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Nov 02 2021, 8:11 pm
showering and laundry are hard on nails too
if your skin is oily it could be hard for nail polish to set and stay
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics