Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Pesach present for mother/mother in law-what would you want?

amother

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 3:25 pm
I'm hoping some mothers who's kids come to them for pesach can reply to this post.

Every year I go to my parents and inlaws for pesach with my kids, I basically move in and split the time between two. I would like to buy a gift for my mother and mother in law but need some more good ideas that would be appreciated. In the past I've bought flowers, recipe books, serving pieces, and urn and a microwave... I know it's not about the money but more about the thought so I don't want to overdo it and have my parents feel that I spent money that was not necessary. I just want them to know that I appreciate all their hard work cleaning and cooking,etc. Any good suggestions, what would you want your kids to get you?

I'm signing this anon incase my mother or mother in law are reading this. : )

shifg

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 3:53 pm
I don't know what I would want from my kids - as I don't have any yet.

BUT - I got my MIL (from me and DH) a nice ring. (only $50). and for my mother I'm bringing her two pickled tongues as she can't get them where she lives Smile

It's definitely the thought that counts! I personally think they would like anything you brought them!

Hannah!

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 4:03 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Sun, May 04 2008, 3:41 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 4:36 pm
I vote for Silver. You can spend anywhere up from $50 and no one ever has no room for it.

cassandra

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 4:36 pm
I think Pesach is the easiest as there are always things you use during the year that you don't own for Pesach, so you just fill in (or even if she has something you can buy a nicer version..)

rosehill

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 5:17 pm
A gift certificate for a massage, or a manicure/pedicure. That way, she can indulge herself a little, after spending Yom Tov taking care of everyone else.

bigdeal

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 6:18 pm
Eichlers has a matzoh stand... mahogony and pretty - very "gifty"

red sea

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 6:29 pm
like anything else you need to know the person, likes & dislikes.if buying larger things keep in mind how much storage space they have for pesach. if buying personal things keep in mind taste and pickiness. if cooking s/t keep in mind if they are the type to want to be in charge of everything down to the menu.

amother

Post Sat, Apr 12 2008, 9:49 pm
I think I'm getting my mil a subscription to mishpcha magazine. I know it's something she wants but cannot afford.

amother

Post Sat, Apr 12 2008, 10:08 pm
you really want to know?!!! Help out with the cleaning and cooking, don't just appreciate it when she does it.

ChavieK

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 12:46 am
Don't know if you have access to someones pesach kitchen, but when inlaws moved to our city & we started making pesach,I started making food to take to my parents. Wish I would have thought of it years earlier.It was a big help to come with meatballs, soups, cakes & kugels. Mil always said biggest help is keepthe kids busy so she can get work done. But she was always happy when I would clean a bathroom, vaccum....she also liked when dils made last day lunch so she could say Yizkor & not have to worry about food( only day she really let us into the kitchen) Just a few ideas that help in my case.

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 3:54 am
I second the above post. I'm due right after Pesach, and we're moving into my parents' house for the whole y"t. My mother has a Pesach kitchen, so she already started cooking and freezing stuff a couple of weeks ago. I go help her out by sitting at a table and peeling/chopping all the veggies for soups or rolling the matza balls or shaping the cookies. Basically, I've been doing the time-consuming parts of cooking that don't require me to run up and down stairs or stand on my feet too much. I'm also going to try to help as much as I can over the course of y"t, but if I end up not feeling so well, at least I know that I've already contributed.

HooRYou

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 3:58 am
rosehill wrote:
A gift certificate for a massage, or a manicure/pedicure. That way, she can indulge herself a little, after spending Yom Tov taking care of everyone else.

I would definitely do this for my MIL. IF I had the budget what I would really want to give would be a gift certificate for a night or 2 in a hotel for use after Pesach since this is what I really want myself. Tongue Out

amother

Post Wed, Apr 16 2008, 9:32 am
I bought my mother a pesach cook book. Tthe Pesach by design one.
I am not sure if she will enjoy it - but she definately appreciated the thought. I was able to order it online (amazon) and get it for cheaper than the stores.

greenfire

Post Wed, Apr 16 2008, 9:55 am
I think a tablecloth would be elegant and nice ... that is my vote - that is what I would want !!!

mumsy23

Post Wed, Apr 16 2008, 10:11 am
I'm going to get my daughter photographed and I will give her a nice large framed picture of my daughter in a new pesach outfit!

zufriedene

Post Tue, Apr 22 2008, 8:05 am
I appreciate gifts that can be used and not just put out for show Our guests discussed it with us, and a few chipped in and bought us an electric
thermos. an elegant tablecloth for the seder is also great, how about silverware?/

Ruchel

Post Tue, Apr 22 2008, 8:17 am
rosehill wrote:

Not everyone likes it. Or those who really like it may have their own favorite place and thing...
I know my mother wouldn't know what to do with it, and my mil would say "it's not the place I go".

amother

Post Wed, Apr 23 2008, 11:24 am
OP here ,

I ended up buying them the Leonardo colored squared bowls (in red, green and blue. I think they really liked them as I found out from doing some "researching" that they buy them ask gift for other people. Thanks for all the tips but I don't think the manicure things was their type, I was afraid they wouldn't take the time to go.

louche

Post Mon, Apr 28 2008, 8:54 pm
amother wrote:
you really want to know?!!! Help out with the cleaning and cooking, don't just appreciate it when she does it.

In theory I'd agree, tho' it's very hardfor some people--to direct someone to clean or even cook. You know the drill--I can do it faster than it would take to explain. But a sous-chef to scrub, peel and chop veggies, beat egg whites and the like would be appreciated,, and someone to set the table, too. help polishing silver, making the beds or clearing up after a meal-- much, much appreciated! if your mil is less of a perfetionist, she might appreciate help cleaning, covering surfaces, and so on, too.

if you arrive too close to YT to help with preps, bring nonperishableluxury foods or items not readily available where you hosts live (not perishables--before YT the fridge is often way overloaded as it is), or an assortment of nice wines.

things like serving pieces are not really a good idea for peole like mils who are long since established in their households and are more than likly to have reached the saturation point for these things (unless you absolutely know for a fact that they want something specific. I've been telling my kids I want new dishes. frankly, if you brought me a pretty vase or serving platter, the first thing I'd think is "oh, goody--now I have a nice thing for dd to bring to the next place she goes to for shabbos." except that with you being my dil that would be pretty awkward, b/c I'd know you'd expect to see it in my house next time you came to visit.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics