Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Therapy costs
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 11:52 am
So I used to have insurance that covered mental health services - and my current one (emblem) has really garbagy providers.
I think I need to return to therapy, how much is average cost that people pay for out of pocket/ out of network for therapy?

If you could share location/ if in person telehealth that would be very helpful!!

amother
Tanzanite

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 11:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So I used to have insurance that covered mental health services - and my current one (emblem) has really garbagy providers.
I think I need to return to therapy, how much is average cost that people pay for out of pocket/ out of network for therapy?

If you could share location/ if in person telehealth that would be very helpful!!

Agree about Emblem.
I pay $175 out of pocket for in-person therapy in NY. A phone rep told me that I can get reimbursed $55 a session but I haven't submitted paperwork yet to confirm.

amother
Begonia

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 12:14 pm
amother [ Tanzanite ] wrote:
Agree about Emblem.
I pay $175 out of pocket for in-person therapy in NY. A phone rep told me that I can get reimbursed $55 a session but I haven't submitted paperwork yet to confirm.

I have emblem through ghi- I can get reimbursed 50 percent but only after a 5,000 dollar deductible!

OP- therapy is a fortune.
I’ve paid between 150 and 250 for 45 minutes.
And at times I’ve needed twice a week.
Plus psychiatrist. Plus group therapy…

amother
Ballota

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 12:14 pm
I pay 250 a session. Monsey.
My husbands therapy is also 250 a session.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 1:32 pm
$100 a session

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 2:06 pm
My therapist charges $200 a session so I only went every other week so as to spread out the expense. At a certain time in my life I was going through something more intense, discussed it with the therapist, and made a deal to pay a somewhat lower amount per session but increase to weekly sessions.

Located in NY metro, switched to remote when covid hit and have not switched back. I think that also helped with asking for a reduced rate - remote takes as much time and energy for the therapist, it isn't inherently worth less, but not having to travel to her allowed me to schedule at times that were less in-demand. I used to only be able to go in the evening but now I just extend my work from home lunch break.

amother
Tomato

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 2:06 pm
Crazy. It’s like another tuition!

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 2:09 pm
Monsey. 250 an hour for ds therapy.

amother
Daylily

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 2:14 pm
wow!
I'm about to start with someone who charges 150 but she does a specialty that is pretty rare where I live. I asked a male practitioner and he could only think of 3 female therapists that do this modality that he would recommend and one had a waitlist. I guess it's true that I also live OOT but still. Are these therapists specially trained that they are better then at a clinic.

my dc gets free therapy due to a covid grant. otherwise it would be 90 dollars because we don't have medicaid.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 2:16 pm
amother [ Tomato ] wrote:
Crazy. It’s like another tuition!

For me, tuition is more. But once more than one family member needs therapy... yeah.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 2:17 pm
amother [ Daylily ] wrote:
wow!
I'm about to start with someone who charges 150 but she does a specialty that is pretty rare where I live. I asked a male practitioner and he could only think of 3 female therapists that do this modality that he would recommend and one had a waitlist. I guess it's true that I also live OOT but still. Are these therapists specially trained that they are better then at a clinic.

my dc gets free therapy due to a covid grant. otherwise it would be 90 dollars because we don't have medicaid.

For me it's just the NY inflation - my therapist is really good for me at what she does but doesn't do anything really specialized. Cost of living is higher, services cost more. What kind of covid grant are you talking about? I would love to know if it's available where I live.

amother
Daylily

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 2:21 pm
it was given specifically to the clinic. the basis is that they realize some people who don't have medicaid might not be able to afford to pay for the sessions and covid is stressing people out so they want to make sure they get the help. It's a low income neighborhood so probably most people who get the grant are just missing the cutoff for medicaid but it's not income dependent. I just needed to fill out an intake form... and they took care of it with the understanding that at any point the grant can stop. never saw a bill

bigsis144

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 2:21 pm
My therapist used to be part of a practice that took my insurance, so BH I only had a copay.

Then she left the group and opened up her own practice, and unfortunately during that process had to get re-certified by all the insurance companies to get back in-network, so I paid out of pocket for those 3 months. She charged me $80/session (weekly), which is on the low side, but we have a good relationship and she didn’t want me going without therapy just because the insurance situation was in flux.

amother
Begonia

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 2:30 pm
If you aren’t seeking therapy for something complex there are wonderful therapists that are new-ish and wonderful and still taking a (somewhat) lower fee

amother
Hydrangea

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 2:36 pm
$175 for dh
$200 for son
$1500 per month and I dont see and end to the tunnel Sad
I am going into debt for this since I am the only one working Sad

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 2:46 pm
$250 each time Two times every week
Monsey
Sold my diamond ring to pay therapy

amother
Viola

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 3:59 pm
I signed up for therapy through betterhelp.com. I paid $55 a session for 4 sessions. I needed help figuring out some work related problems and the therapist was very helpful. I was finally able to dump some long-standing negative thoughts and attitudes that were holding me back.

After 4 weeks I decided not to continue therapy but I would definitely use them again if I felt the need.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 4:35 pm
DH sees a therapist once a week for 40 minutes for $180 . He does telehealth . FYI- therapist’s physical office is in 5 towns. He tried going in network but could not find anyone frum.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 5:05 pm
My therapy is $180 for 45 mins (a good friend pays a small portion of it each week as a gift)
DS - $150 for 45 mins
During Corona BHH my second therapist has been over the phone which by some miracle meant it was free for me (insurance paid, which is the equivalent of elephants raining from the sky.)
DD psychiatrist is $350 a pop, but we only go every few months

In Lakewood there is an org that assists in paying for therapy for high schoolers I hear.

amother
Forsythia

Post Wed, Nov 03 2021, 5:29 pm
225 for mine
200 +225 for my husbands two therapy sessions a week
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics