Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
WHY are our kids still getting homework
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 11:02 am
There has been plenty talk over the years about how much stress homework adds to our homes . Why aren't the schools doing something about it? What are we gaining in the long term? There are certain subjects that I understand are an exception and need HW, but overall why dont they lessen what's on the curriculum a bit and give the kids time to do their HW in school?

amother
Crocus

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 11:08 am
While I do agree that there should be less homework, I think it's very important for mothers to so homework with their kids, at least in grades 6 and down. I was able to pick up on a pattern that indicated that my daughter has a language processing issue. The teachers couldn't have put the pieces together without my input. She's now in therapy and thriving.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 11:12 am
amother [ Crocus ] wrote:
While I do agree that there should be less homework, I think it's very important for mothers to so homework with their kids, at least in grades 6 and down. I was able to pick up on a pattern that indicated that my daughter has a language processing issue. The teachers couldn't have put the pieces together without my input. She's now in therapy and thriving.

You are welcome to come to my house any time you want and do homework with my kids grade 6 and down. I don’t get home until 7:00 or 8:00, and then I still have to do supper (if my daughter didn’t, which she doesn’t always like to do) and showers and bedtime. If homework gets done before I get gone great, otherwise I’m not enforcing it at that time. BH there is excellent communication with all the teachers, and if any of my children are struggling, I won’t be blind sided at parent teacher conferences.

amother
Crocus

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 11:19 am
I am just relating my experience and my opinion. There was great communication in my daughter's case, but a large discrepancy between her performance in school and at home. If not for the fact that she had homework it would not have been resolved before her self esteem was affected. I do agree that homework should be minimal and simple enough for kids to do without help. Your experience is different and you're entitled to your own opinion.

amother
Banana

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 11:27 am
I think homework puts a terrible burden on both kids and parents. Writing homework is for sure a punishment. I understand a teacher asking for kids to review notes, a review booklet some pesukim but nothing more than that is right. If my kids got home from school at 1pm maybe.. but when they get home at around 5pm how is it okay to give so much work after they were just in school for 7+ hours??? I have an 8th grade daughter who is on the verge of a nervous breakdown from all the pressure and tests. My 6th grader did not want to go to school today because they are having 2 tests and 1 “quiz”. My 3rd grader had 34 math examples last night!!!! It’s enough… I wish something would change already.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 11:29 am
I hear that, so then for certain fundamental subjects, review sheets can be sent home for the mothers to review one-on-one with their child from time to time. Classes are often large and sometimes these things can go unnoticed. Or schools can have the teacher or assistant pulling over each child for a turn at recess to review one-on-one for a few minutes. I believe there are other solutions to this, other than giving every child a homework load every night.

amother
Crocus

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 11:31 am
That's a crazy amount. When I taught younger grades we used to give a homework sheet that was divided by subject. Short, sweet, and to the point. No teacher needs 34 examples to see whether a student absorbed the math. I think homework should be really minimal.

mha3484

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 11:35 am
Bh not all schools do.

My kids have a more moderate school day then a lot of others. My boys in 1st and 5th grade are home by 4:10 and have very very reasonable homework. I think its good to know where your kids are holding but it can be done with 2 or 3x a week homework like my 1st grader has.

My 5th grader at least does his chazarah at masmidim with his friends which takes off a lot of pressure.

If my kid had 34 math problems I would say no. I would tell them do 5 or 10 and that is enough.

I actually think the writing in the early grades is good homework. My boys both struggle with handwriting and my 5th graders got a lot better by practicing at home with his father who has really nice writing. My 1st grader I hope will also improve by practice.

Last edited by mha3484 on Thu, Nov 04 2021, 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Charcoal

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 11:37 am
How about we start a petition? And then send the petition to all the schools? I really don't see any other way to stop this. Mother's pleas fall on deaf ears when it comes to these things...
Anyone in?

amother
Clover

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 11:47 am
One thing parents don't realize is that the school day is much shorter from the inside than it appears. Teaching high school English, I have 40 minute periods. That means taking attendance (schools demand this), a 2 minute starter question/discussion/activity to bring them into the lesson, 10-15 minutes explaining the new writing concept, a few minutes practice with a partner, and then applying the concept to their work... and there goes the bell. We never have enough time.

Still, I am very strict about not allowing students to write at home. Some students beg to be allowed to work at home where it's quiet (?) or they have the space to focus, so clearly there's no pleasing everyone.

amother
Narcissus

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 11:52 am
I don’t mind the homework. I find it very balanced and minimal for my kids. And gives me an idea of what they were learning.

(I always found 1-2 hardest bec it’s kriyah and English reading snd needs most parent involvement. But I thought it was important to have 1:1 daily practice as long as it was short and quick)

Primary - 3 minutes hebrew letter review or kriyah

5 th grade - home by 4:00 - kriyah, chumash, a few math or spelling. 20 min or less total. All done by herself

7th grade - home by 4:00. Mostly studying for tests. Some review sheets. Go through parsha.

8 th grade boy - 10 min English max. Chazer Gemara.

Maybe I’m just lucky.

There is no reason to ever have 34 math questions. 5 shows if kid understands. Teachers should be scheduling tests fairly.
Maybe instead of no homework it should be done in a way to benefit rather then cripple.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 11:59 am
There will obviously be differences of opinion depending on the length of kids' school day, family size,etc. That being said, I agree that overall, there's no need for so much HW. once a week for less than half hour (combined) would be enough.
I'm all in for signing a petition.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 12:01 pm
While we're on the topic, HS girls don't need to have tests and quizzes every day.usually more than one in a day. It is unfair to them, and unfair to mothers of larger families who need their daughters' help.

amother
Tealblue

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 12:02 pm
My second grader has the most homework. And she's always misplacing her homework sheet and workbooks so that doesn't help. Yesterday she came home to tell me that because she hadn't had her workbook a few days in a row I needed to buy a new one. Of course we found it. I have health issues and just can't keep track of all this stuff. Sad

amother
Amaryllis

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 12:03 pm
amother [ Banana ] wrote:
I think homework puts a terrible burden on both kids and parents. Writing homework is for sure a punishment. I understand a teacher asking for kids to review notes, a review booklet some pesukim but nothing more than that is right. If my kids got home from school at 1pm maybe.. but when they get home at around 5pm how is it okay to give so much work after they were just in school for 7+ hours??? I have an 8th grade daughter who is on the verge of a nervous breakdown from all the pressure and tests. My 6th grader did not want to go to school today because they are having 2 tests and 1 “quiz”. My 3rd grader had 34 math examples last night!!!! It’s enough… I wish something would change already.

This is so sad!

Perhaps the bolded is midterms? Are report cards due soon?

amother
Tealblue

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 12:03 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
There will obviously be differences of opinion depending on the length of kids' school day, family size,etc. That being said, I agree that overall, there's no need for so much HW. once a week for less than half hour (combined) would be enough.
I'm all in for signing a petition.
it also depends on personalities and whether the kid has a learning issue. A child who can do homework independently is a lot easier to deal with.

small bean

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 12:06 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
While we're on the topic, HS girls don't need to have tests and quizzes every day.usually more than one in a day. It is unfair to them, and unfair to mothers of larger families who need their daughters' help.

It is not your daughters job to help you. If she has time, she should but right nownher job is to do school and with that comes extra curicular and homework.

amother
Banana

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 12:11 pm
I’m sorry but a child with learning issues will not benefit from doing more work at home at 6:00 in the evening. Do you realize how difficult the entire school day was for that child? Despite people saying that this type of child would benefit from extra practice at home, the opposite is true. The struggling child needs to just be a regular child at home and minimal pressure would greatly benefit this child.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 12:11 pm
I disagree. It IS her job to help in the home. She is certainly not overworked, but ,yes, she needs to help out at home. The girls can do school work in school and minimal school work at home. There's no reason 5o bombard them with studying for hours every night.

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 12:12 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
I disagree. It IS her job to help in the home. She is certainly not overworked, but ,yes, she needs to help out at home. The girls can do school work in school and minimal school work at home. There's no reason 5o bombard them with studying for hours every night.
This, thank you
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics