Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Help with emotional overeating

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 5:51 pm
I need someone to talk to about my emotional overeating, and to get some help.

I'm in therapy already for a specific issue, and for various reasons this is not something I can discuss with my therapist.

I don't want to see two therapists!

But I really need someone to talk about this and to get some help.

I would love some recommendations/ideas/advice!

Thank you!

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 6:06 pm
I’m happy to share my experience. I used to think I was an emotional eater until I stopped eating things that made me want to eat like a maniac.

You could have knocked me over with a penny when I found out that it wasn’t something I needed therapy for.

You’re welcome to pm me.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Nov 04 2021, 8:34 pm
Rena Reiser has a course on emotional/intuitive eating that changed my life. Call or email her.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 12:32 am
Thank you!

Keep the suggestions coming!

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 9:44 pm
Im in Overeaters Anonymous for compulsive eating and food addictions. A lot of people find it helpful and effective

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 10:58 pm
Thank you.
Hi m tempted to go with Rena Reiser but I don’t want to do intuitive eating.

What I want is to talk to someone about my emotional eating - about what’s behind it, and be guided from there.

Not to be taught a specific program like IE.

Could this work with Rena? Or any other ideas?

Turquoise- how do you do OA? In person?

daagahminayin

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 11:12 pm
Check out EBT - Emotional Brain Training.

Just saw you want to actually speak to someone. This technique is phenomenal, and I believe they have membership options that gives you time with a coach.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 11:14 pm
Agree with Andrea. It’s not emotional, it’s neurological.

amother
Firethorn

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 11:14 pm
Following
OP I have the same issue. When I was younger my mother was constantly watching and asking why I’m eating this and that - leading to me being a closet eater. I keep saying I know what I need to do and how to eat properly and make good choices but I feel that this is hindering me and not letting me.
I’m also trying to figure out what to do.
I saw someone in mishpacha advertised - Yitty Klein, she advertised - conquer emotional eating. There is group and private coaching. The time of the group coaching didn’t work for me. I also don’t know and didn’t hear anything about her. I can send you her number if you’re interested

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 12:58 am
It is definitely emotional eating for me.

I did see that ad about Yitty. I forgot. Yes, sure I’d love if you could post her number. Thank you!

Tof Umachol

Post Thu, Nov 11 2021, 4:38 am
I highly recommend the book "Breaking Free from Emotional Eating" by Geneen Roth.
If you really do the work - thought exercises, writing, etc. - rather than just read, you can really get a lot out of it.
I'm not saying it is instead of meeting with someone, but I found it very significant (and I didn't end up joining a group, just did the work with the book).

amother
Turquoise

Post Sat, Nov 13 2021, 6:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you.
Hi m tempted to go with Rena Reiser but I don’t want to do intuitive eating.

What I want is to talk to someone about my emotional eating - about what’s behind it, and be guided from there.

Not to be taught a specific program like IE.

Could this work with Rena? Or any other ideas?

Turquoise- how do you do OA? In person?

Hi, Turquoise here.

OA is a 12 step program for people who can't stop eating compulsively, and who use food as a drug *and cannot stop doing this even if they want to*. It's patterned after AA (Alcoholics Anonymous).

It's a pretty involved program. There are several components, including attending OA meetings (can be in person, over the phone, and over zoom) and going through the 12 steps with the help of a sponsor.

You can find more info here:
https://www.avision4you.info/

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 1:16 am
I had an idea -
What about a life coach? Maybe a life coach would be able to help me with motivation, staying on track, but also be there to hear me out, - in a different way than if I join a specific program??
I’ve never been to a life coach. Maybe there are ones that specialize in emotional eating?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise