Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Who wants to start a diet together with me?
  Previous  1  2  3 12  13  14 15  16  17  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 9:51 pm
amother [ Banana ] wrote:
What is the fasting ? When do you do it ?

From 6 pm until 10 am I only drink water.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 9:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can you explain how that would work?
I just started intermittent fasting. I fast for 16 hours but eat regularly the other 8.
Do some people fast for even more hours and eat just one huge meal per day?

Yes. One meal a day, two meals a day, three meals. Longer fasts 36/42/48 and so on.Intermittent fasting takes on a range of applications over time. Jason Fung is an excellent resource. Lots of videos and books.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 21 2021, 10:09 pm
andrea levy wrote:
Yes. One meal a day, two meals a day, three meals. Longer fasts 36/42/48 and so on.Intermittent fasting takes on a range of applications over time. Jason Fung is an excellent resource. Lots of videos and books.

Thanks.
I will check out Jason fung. Just ordered his book. I really want to do this right.
What do the 36/42/48 refer to? Can’t be hours of continuous fasting I hope!

ChefChana

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 9:33 am
Loved this!! I think everyone on this thread should watch. Worth the time. https://www.myjewishlearning.c.....diet/

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 10:47 am
ChefChana wrote:
Loved this!! I think everyone on this thread should watch. Worth the time. https://www.myjewishlearning.c.....diet/

I enjoyed it! Thanks!

amother
Offwhite

Post Mon, Nov 22 2021, 4:37 pm
Today I had: 2 coffees with half and half
Salad and hard boiled eggs
Chicken and broccoli

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 6:04 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks.
I will check out Jason fung. Just ordered his book. I really want to do this right.
What do the 36/42/48 refer to? Can’t be hours of continuous fasting I hope!

Some people do longer fasts. I don’t personally usually go longer than 24, but on occasion do 30 or 36 and three times did 52. The 52’s came about naturally because of circumstances.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 6:45 am
andrea levy wrote:
Some people do longer fasts. I don’t personally usually go longer than 24, but on occasion do 30 or 36 and three times did 52. The 52’s came about naturally because of circumstances.

Wowww! That sounds so extreme.
Much worse than the low calorie menu a poster got much flack for.
I wouldn’t fast 24 hours other than a fast day on the calendar. But I ordered the book and I’ll see what I can learn from it.
Thanks!

amother
Sage

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 8:40 am
MONDAY
Breakfast: cereal (special K flakes) and milk. 1/2 coffee.
Snack: yogurt and almonds
Lunch: Tuna, 1 T mayo and diced vegetables. Vegetable soup
Snack: grapefruit
Supper: pasta with cottage cheese and sauce

Treat of the day: pasta was white
Exercise: arm weights and abs

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 8:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wowww! That sounds so extreme.
Much worse than the low calorie menu a poster got much flack for.
I wouldn’t fast 24 hours other than a fast day on the calendar. But I ordered the book and I’ll see what I can learn from it.
Thanks!

I think that extreme fasting does not work for me personally but the basic idea is the shorter the fast the more frequently one does it. So in 4.5 years, I’ve done three 52 and a handful of 30 or 36. Most days I do 16/8 or one meal a day, neither of which am I dogmatic about. I am WAY more dogmatic about what I eat.

I think there’s a huge difference between let’s say fasting punitively ( I ate whatever/binged) than doing it with the idea of lowering blood sugar or increasing insulin sensitivity.

Jason Fung came to this idea because he was treating severe diabetics who were having a hard time staying on course or figuring out to eat. Fasting is free and can be modified to ones personal needs. While eating a low carb minimally processed diet is suggested to be easier with fasting, Fung originally suggested a person could basically eat whatever they want in their eating period. For me, that meant binging my face off in 8 hours. When I went low carb, I started intermittent fasting naturally by eating when I was hungry, which was less often because my blood sugar wasn’t going insane any more causing cravings.

At the very least, not eating for 12 hours a day is a good idea. There was a time when people at dinner at six and did Not eat again til 6 pm. That was before so many people became obese and diabetic.

I think that whatever a person does has to be sustainable. For everyone that looks a bit different. When I eat, I eat well. I don’t count calories or measure my food and aside from avoiding carby things, I very much eat proteins fat and lower Carb veg. I eat to satiety and try not to eat when I’m not hungry. I try to eat food that is minimally processed. When I fast longer than 16/8 I do push through hunger signs knowing that fasting actually resets my hunger cues over time, and also why Fung suggests mixing it up and keeping your body guessing.

Time restricted eating is a thing that can benefit with resolving insulin resistance as well as establishing healthier circadian rhythms. I’m personally of the opinion that like anything good and body Composition related, fasting can be abused and not sustainable. For example, when I was in 9th grade I ate 1 400 calorie meal a day and a Diet Coke at lunch. I worked out at lunch time and lost a huge amount of weight. That said, it was unsustainable. I know now that my body was freaking out thinking I was starving so I had a hormonal reaction that made me start eating again. Needless to say I gained back all the weight lost plus more. I often wonder had I rated enough in the one meal a day like 1700 or so calories, would I have been able to sustain it?

Our bodies use homeostasis to stay within certain ranges. For example insulin keeps our blood sugar down when it’s working right. Leptin tells us when we are satiated. Ghrelin tells us when we are hungry.

It’s very hard to fight hormones. Fighting hormones to not eat when your body thinks you are starving to death is not unlike trying to pray your period away. No matter how disciplined one is, one cannot discipline themselves out of a period, nor out of the adaptations caused in our bodies by chronic obesity and weightloss. This is why something like 98% of people who lose 10% of their body weight fail to maintain it. Unless they do it in a way that is sustainable, in other words , sneaking it past the mechanism that makes our bodies freak out when we start living on too low an energy intake, we end up regaining.

Ive made the choice consciously that I’d rather maintain my weightloss than lose more and destabilize so if I lose weight slowly without really intending to, that seems to work for me at this point. I lost a lot of weight initially, but let’s say since in the past year I’ve gone up and down ten pounds but overall my highest weight is going down. Three years ago, my highest weight was about thirty pounds higher than it is now. I’m good with this and happy to live like this ongoing. That’s what sustainable means to me.

With fasting, if you eat well aka feast when you eat, your body may expect calories less often but then gets plenty when the calories do arrive. It’s one way to sneak by the problem of homeostasis.

I know this was long but I did want to clarify that intermittent fasting should not be used as a way to compulsively diet. It can be used for body composition but mostly for hormonal tweaking to control health issues including insulin sensitivity
And blood sugar control. These things in turn can affect weightloss or weight maintenance but ultimately the goal setting is different depending on what your goal is.

For me, the absolute most important thing is to never ever gain back what I lost. Of course there are variations in weight over time, I don’t mean gaining or losing a few pounds in the short term. I mean being consistent and following a baseline behaviour that works for me.

I can function at this higher weight and am healthy. I’m profoundly grateful that hashem put me on this path and that I cared enough to learn and research to find out what worked for me best over time. If I had to synopsis’s what was most important in this while journey for me it would be as follows:

-If I make a mistake, I don’t catastrophize and throw the baby out with the bath water. I learn from it.

- I found my personal trigger foods and avoid them for my own sanity.

- I changed many obesegenic behaviours which took time and commitment. I made mistakes along the way, but see above.

- I lessen the stress between my old and new behaviour by not walking around hungry or starving. Not eating certain things means I am not compulsive like I was so developing new habits became easier.

- maybe most importantly, I am consistent. I still get the occasional crazy fad diet/very low calorie/gotta lose the rest fast thoughts, but it has become way easier to deal with them because I know if I keep on keeping on, I’ll be ok. When I start having those thoughts I push through them, and do the next right thing for me. I also recognize that looking at my behaviour when they happen can often elucidate things that are becoming problematic for me. Then, I can tweak. See learning from my mistakes.

- I try to be as physically active as possible. I don’t mean binging on exercise. I work at a sedentary job and when for example, I need a break, I go to a restroom on a different floor. I park as far away from the store door as I can. I do actively exercise and do things I enjoy, rather than feel burdened by. Bear in mind I lost 90 pounds before I ever exercised so being sedentary alone did not actually affect my weightloss and it could be argued, slowed it down lol. Exercise is good for overall Health and is worth doing but it will incite the same adaptations as low caloric consumption if it’s abused.

I’m happy to support others in their journeys.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 9:20 am
Thank you Andrea for your informative post.
I guess I’ll understand it better after reading the book I ordered.
I definitely don’t want to do something extreme and unsustainable. The 16/8 is really easy for me but maybe too easy to get real long term results.
I’ll see what happens this week and decide what to do further.
Chanuka is coming! I better not ruin what I accomplished till now. Covid-19

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 11:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you Andrea for your informative post.
I guess I’ll understand it better after reading the book I ordered.
I definitely don’t want to do something extreme and unsustainable. The 16/8 is really easy for me but maybe too easy to get real long term results.
I’ll see what happens this week and decide what to do further.
Chanuka is coming! I better not ruin what I accomplished till now. Covid-19

Sustainable, sustainable, sustainable. You need to have patience. You aren’t going to be able to see results overnight. It took a long time to get broken and it takes ongoing effort to fix the damage. If you think 16/8 is easy, start by working within that framework. Keep tweaking until you feel it’s working for you. That’s sustainability.
If you keep that in mind you’ll always be moving forward. Which Fung book did you order?

amother
Bellflower

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 12:09 pm
Intermittent fasting 16/8 and lost 2 pounds now in less than a week!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 12:44 pm
andrea levy wrote:
Sustainable, sustainable, sustainable. You need to have patience. You aren’t going to be able to see results overnight. It took a long time to get broken and it takes ongoing effort to fix the damage. If you think 16/8 is easy, start by working within that framework. Keep tweaking until you feel it’s working for you. That’s sustainability.
If you keep that in mind you’ll always be moving forward. Which Fung book did you order?

The complete guide to fasting

It actually just arrived. I’ll probably only get to it on Shabbos.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 12:44 pm
amother [ Bellflower ] wrote:
Intermittent fasting 16/8 and lost 2 pounds now in less than a week!

So happy for you!

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 2:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The complete guide to fasting

It actually just arrived. I’ll probably only get to it on Shabbos.

It’s actually not my favourite of his books. I really thought that the obesity/diabetes code was great at explaining why fasting intermittently works. Feel free to ask me questions. Also lots of videos on you tube by him for more info.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 2:26 pm
andrea levy wrote:
It’s actually not my favourite of his books. I really thought that the obesity/diabetes code was great at explaining why fasting intermittently works. Feel free to ask me questions. Also lots of videos on you tube by him for more info.

Oops.
I should’ve asked you before ordering.
Honestly I don’t need to understand exactly “why” it works, rather “how” it works.
I need better instructions than just the 16/8 I’m doing.
Thanks, I will ask you if I have questions. I’ll check out his videos as well.
Are you doing it currently along with low carb?

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 7:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oops.
I should’ve asked you before ordering.
Honestly I don’t need to understand exactly “why” it works, rather “how” it works.
I need better instructions than just the 16/8 I’m doing.
Thanks, I will ask you if I have questions. I’ll check out his videos as well.
Are you doing it currently along with low carb?

I’ve been low carb/intermittent fasting for 4.5 years. Lost 115 #
It’s a process.

How is you don’t eat for a period of time. When you do eat, you eat well. Low carb makes it easier. But you don’t have to do low carb with IF.

amother
Sage

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 9:39 pm
TUESDAY
Breakfast: Oatmeal, 1/2 coffee
Snack: spinach smoothie
Lunch: ww pita tuna melt
Supper: salad, ww muffin, onion soup

Treat of the day: caramel in oatmeal
Exercise: swim

honeymoon

Post Tue, Nov 23 2021, 9:44 pm
Dr. Sten Ekberg on YouTube is a great resource for those interested in intermittent fasting and/or keto and lchf.
Page 13 of 17   Previous  1  2  3 12  13  14 15  16  17  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise