Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
How do you make chanukah special?
1  2  Next

imamommy5

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 1:09 pm
How do you make chanukah special?

flowerpower

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 1:10 pm
We have a program every night.
One night it’s make your own sushi night
Another night we fry donuts and play some games.....
Another night we invite someone

Blessing1

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 1:13 pm
We use chanuka papergoods every night. I make something special every day and we play dreidel every night.

hodeez

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 1:38 pm
We play this one chanuka cartoon that my husband watched when he was growing up. I think it's called Lights or something. First night kids get pekelach, and every night after lighting they get to pick one treat from it to eat. We make latkes and buy doughnuts.

Last edited by hodeez on Fri, Nov 05 2021, 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cornsilk

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 1:40 pm
We walk around the neighborhood to see everyone's lit menorahs. My favorite thing to do every year!

behappy2

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 1:45 pm
amother [ Cornsilk ] wrote:
We walk around the neighborhood to see everyone's lit menorahs. My favorite thing to do every year!

I love that idea!

imamommy5

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 2:24 pm
Thanks guys! My kids are little anything for a toddler? Or infant?

amother
Tomato

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 2:30 pm
imamommy5 wrote:

We close the lights and sing chanukah songs on the couch cuddled in blankets.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 2:30 pm
Last year we did human ring toss with a giant inflatable donut Smile

We love to play dreidel

love vegetables

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 2:31 pm
Following

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 2:32 pm
imamommy5 wrote:

Toddlers love to cook/bake with mommy
I got all the GKs matching Chanukah pjs
You can get matching pjs for the whole family

dena613

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 2:39 pm
Check out Danielle renov’s chalympics. I don’t like the olympics idea, but her activities are ADORABLE, and a bunch are good for toddlers, because she includes all of her kids.
We tried some last year.
We give Chanukah gelt (chocolate) most every night, or have donuts.
Hang up and use the kids’ projects, old and new.
Make Chanukah cookies with Chanukah cookie cutters

dena613

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 2:40 pm
I love all the ideas above mine, and would like to incorporate some into our Chanukah!
Keep ideas coming!

amother
DarkYellow

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 2:42 pm
amother [ Amaranthus ] wrote:
Last year we did human ring toss with a giant inflatable donut Smile

We love to play dreidel

Sounds fun! Where can I buy a giant inflatable donut?

amother
Eggplant

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 3:27 pm
Not to start a spinoff or anything, but how can I make Chanukah special for me? This is the first year that all of my children will be out of the house, and this year and no one can come home at all during Chanukah. My parents will be out of the country, My in-laws are still social distancing, and will not let anyone vaccinated or not vaccinated, in their house and it’s too cold for them to be outside.
Our siblings are all either far or busy with their own kids/grandchildren. I’m really not complaining. I’m loving this empty nest and BH I have wonderful SB.I’m just not sure how to make Hanukkah into something special. I can’t imagine frying donuts for me and DH (as then I will eat 15 of them and that is not going to help with weight loss for upcoming chassunahs.) and 2 almost 50 year olds playing dreidel for chocolate coins sounds silly.

challahchallah

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 3:32 pm
amother [ Eggplant ] wrote:
Not to start a spinoff or anything, but how can I make Chanukah special for me? This is the first year that all of my children will be out of the house, and this year and no one can come home at all during Chanukah. My parents will be out of the country, My in-laws are still social distancing, and will not let anyone vaccinated or not vaccinated, in their house and it’s too cold for them to be outside.
Our siblings are all either far or busy with their own kids/grandchildren. I’m really not complaining. I’m loving this empty nest and BH I have wonderful SB.I’m just not sure how to make Hanukkah into something special. I can’t imagine frying donuts for me and DH (as then I will eat 15 of them and that is not going to help with weight loss for upcoming chassunahs.) and 2 almost 50 year olds playing dreidel for chocolate coins sounds silly.

Here’s how I justify making donuts for two. I make donuts that aren’t really sweet in the dough, then for dinner I stuff them with savory stuffings and for dessert stuff with jam or chocolate and roll in sugar.

Can you play whatever game you want in the candlelight? We do play dreidel some even as adults just because it’s festive, but you can also look online for all sorts of alternative rules to make it more interesting as adults.

amother
Celeste

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 3:45 pm
eggplant amother. I would just sit by the candles enjoying the spiritual light. maybe learn something about chanukah. I used to do that single but now it's not as practical.

amother
Acacia

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 3:46 pm
Toddlers love menorah-spotting walks!

I give Chanukah gelt in lunch boxes (unwrapped for kids that's appropriate for) and Shabbos cereal all week. Each night after lighting, we try to play a game of some sort.

Honestly, my toddlers have always loved that we let them light candles (hand over hand.) We also have them make and color pictures that we then hang on the walls around where we light to decorate, so they're helping me get ready. That's also when I build my barriers to the candles.

meme6

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 4:37 pm
Special dinners
special paper goods
sometimes games
sometimes presents.
I do one massive party for my kids

blessedmother2

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 4:41 pm
imamommy5 wrote:

I decorate the house with lots of things and it makes it fun and exciting for my little ones. I put them away after Chanukah in storage and buy something new each year to add.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics