Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Does Israel offer early monoclonal antibody treatment?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 05 2021, 1:50 pm
I've been seeing a few reports of covid fatalities in Israel. Obviously, it could happen anywhere, lo aleinu, but it got me thinking.

Does Israel offer early monoclonal antibody treatment in outpatient settings like the U.S. does?

Iymnok

Post Sat, Nov 06 2021, 1:45 pm
I have not heard of it being used here at all.

DrMom

Post Sat, Nov 06 2021, 4:02 pm
Yes, it is being used in Israel.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/.....osis/

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 06 2021, 7:02 pm
DrMom wrote:

Do you personally know people who received this treatment as an outpatient?

amother
Stone

Post Sat, Nov 06 2021, 7:16 pm
It’s hard to get in Israel.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 06 2021, 7:19 pm
amother [ Stone ] wrote:
It’s hard to get in Israel.

That's so sad!!! It saves so many lives in the U.S.

I know so many people who've received early outpatient monoclonal antibody treatment. They'll even come to your house. It's so easy to access.

Why won't Israel make it more accessible to it's citizens?

amother
Plum

Post Sat, Nov 06 2021, 8:14 pm
Have the same question ...it could've saved so many lives.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Sat, Nov 06 2021, 8:17 pm
DrMom wrote:

Only high risk

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 06 2021, 8:23 pm
So I had been wondering about this.... But only decided to post about it after I saw an article on Yeshiva World News a few days ago about twin brothers, in their 60s, unvaccinated, in Israel, who passed away from covid. The name of one of the man's daughters was listed in the article. So I randomly checked the Facebook page of this daughter, and on her page someone had asked her, a couple weeks back, if her father could get the monoclonal antibody treatment, as he was quite sick at the time. (She had been posting about his illness.)

Her response was that her father had not been able to get the treatment. I found that disturbing. So I posted here.

amother
Chicory

Post Sat, Nov 06 2021, 8:25 pm
amother [ NeonOrange ] wrote:
Only high risk

Only high risk in the US as well.
The new medicine looks promising BH.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 06 2021, 8:30 pm
amother [ Chicory ] wrote:

"High risk" in the U.S. encompasses just about everyone. Lots and lots and lots of people get the monoclonal treatment here. Are you saying that you don't know people without serious health concerns who've gotten this treatment? I think that "high risk" in Israel is likely a lot more restrictive. I mean, that's what I'm asking.

amother
Crystal

Post Sat, Nov 06 2021, 9:03 pm
monoclonal antibodies are produced in the USA where as it is, it isnt plentiful.

They sent Israel a VERY limited amount. So although it reported as available its not really

Most other countries do not have access either. Say thank you to the FDA for insisting there be drug factories in the US

fleetwood

Post Sat, Nov 06 2021, 9:06 pm
amother [ Chicory ] wrote:

Not in Brooklyn...

amother
Chicory

Post Sat, Nov 06 2021, 9:28 pm
fleetwood wrote:
Not in Brooklyn...

The people have to claim to be high risk then. Pregnancy and obesity are considered risks as well, which is why many people qualify. I know in Monsey and Monroe they would not give it to people who were not high risk because they did not have enough around Sukkos. Maybe things have changed since then.

amother
Chicory

Post Sat, Nov 06 2021, 9:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
"High risk" in the U.S. encompasses just about everyone. Lots and lots and lots of people get the monoclonal treatment here. Are you saying that you don't know people without serious health concerns who've gotten this treatment? I think that "high risk" in Israel is likely a lot more restrictive. I mean, that's what I'm asking.

That's the case in frum communities where we value life and help out as much as we can and doctors will tell people to say they have pre diabetes in order to get if it is a borderline age, but even the frum communities can't give to everyone. Also, in other parts of the US, it is very hard to obtain. The medicine should be a major breakthrough since it will be easier to get it to reach more people.

DrMom

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 1:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That's so sad!!! It saves so many lives in the U.S.

I know so many people who've received early outpatient monoclonal antibody treatment. They'll even come to your house. It's so easy to access.

Why won't Israel make it more accessible to it's citizens?

I understand it is very expensive.

DrMom

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 1:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you personally know people who received this treatment as an outpatient?

Not that I know of. But I don't know a lot of people who have had covid, and the few whom I know are either small children or people I do not know well enough to ask about their treatment.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 1:25 am
DrMom wrote:
I understand it is very expensive.

But hospital care is much more expensive! Monoclonal antibody treatment usually prevents hospitalization.

And is there a price tag on saving a life?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 1:26 am
DrMom wrote:
Not that I know of. But I don't know a lot of people who have had covid, and the few whom I know are either small children or people I do not know well enough to ask about their treatment.

Oh.... I know many people who've had covid. Most everyone who received EARLY outpatient monoclonal antibody treatment (both vaxxed and unvaxxed) was fine and did not require hospitalization.

DrMom

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 2:03 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
But hospital care is much more expensive! Monoclonal antibody treatment usually prevents hospitalization.

And is there a price tag on saving a life?

Again, if supplies are limited, you need to prioritize, so I assume they only administer this to high-risk covid patients.

I am guessing here -- let's wait and see if somebody within the Israeli medical establishment can weigh with a more informed post.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics