Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Are you supposed to respond to a shabbos invite?
Previous  1  2

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 5:31 am
It's possible that the invite was phrased ambiguously as:
"We'd love to have you this Shabbos!"
"Wow! Thanks. I'm not sure. Might have something going on."
"Ok. If it works out for you, please let us know."

Also, it's my policy to try to follow up on any invitation that my dh extends to the dh in the other family. I've found that it's not unusual for the wife to have never even heard that we invited them. Or for both spouses to assume that the other answered. We even had a simchah where both spouses answered, each for both of them, and they gave different answers!

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 5:32 am
This happened to us. We invited soneone for the whole shabbat never heard anything back. We assumed they werent coming. I was getting into the shower and my husband comes running in saying "guess whose here". We had to find a place for them to sleep as we had other guests as well. Thankfully our neighbors were amazing. But it was rude to have never let us know. Same with meal guests.

octopus

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 5:32 am
How far in advance was the invite?

amother
Pear

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 5:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This invite was for sleeping and eating

So if you called say on monday, I would call again Wednesday and say “shoping soon for Shabbos, just wanted to confirm yes or no,”
If they still don’t answer- then I would assume the answer is no- and they maybe feel that it would hurt your feelings and don’t know how to say no.

amother
Pear

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 5:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This invite was for sleeping and eating

So if you called say on monday, I would call again Wednesday and say “shopping soon for Shabbos, just wanted to confirm yes or no,”
If they still don’t answer- then I would assume the answer is no- and they maybe feel that it would hurt your feelings and don’t know how to say no.
Still , this is not appropriate. They should give a definite answer.

amother
Hyssop

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 5:40 am
My husband once invited a family and I realized they were having a hard time committing. I thought it was because the wife didn’t know me and probably wasn’t sure about accepting an invitation when she wasn’t sure I was okay with it. I told my husband to call again and specifically say that I was happy they were coming and looking forward.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 6:03 am
Maybe they thought they said no, because they said something vague like "Thanks so much, but our kids is toilet training these days, I'll have to get back to you." They thought it was a refusal, and you heard a maybe. Some people just don't feel comfortable saying no outright.

Or maybe they called and left a message at a wrong number. Or maybe each spouse thought the other one had called.

Whatever. It's totally acceptable to call and say you'd love to have them, are they coming.

amother
Forsythia

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 10:46 am
Just call to check in with him and see if they have a response.

Instead of accusing them of being rude, we can be dan lkaf zechus. Maybe they left a message at the wrong number, maybe each spouse thought the other one was calling with a response, or maybe things got really hectic and it slipped their mind. Just call back and say you're starting to cook for Shabbos and just wondering if they are coming or not.

amother
Strawberry

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 5:25 pm
I would just assume a no until I heard definitively otherwise.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics