Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How do I create contracts - small bookkeeping jobs

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 8:33 am
I’ve never had a contract with my clients, I emailed them the fee and what’s included and they emailed me back to confirm. Thank GD all went well the last 2 years and it’s been working, except now I just had a client I did work for, he agreed to the price, I sent him the financials and now he’s off the map. Doesn’t answer phone emails etc. For future - do I take payment before? 50 percent? But why would clients pay before I give them anything? I don’t want to get burnt again Sad
Also any ideas how to get this client to pay or lost cause?

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 8:38 am
Did he agree via email? That's a written record. If this is a Jewish client I think you could take him to Bais Din. Just threatening to do that may get you your payment.

I started using contracts a few years ago to prevent misunderstandings.

mha3484

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 8:44 am
I work for a small company, we had a very vague contract we used for many years until we almost got sued so we had a lawyer draft us a much stronger agreement. It was not cheap but very worthwhile.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 8:47 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Did he agree via email? That's a written record. If this is a Jewish client I think you could take him to Bais Din. Just threatening to do that may get you your payment.

I started using contracts a few years ago to prevent misunderstandings.

He agreed via text
It’s not a Jewish client - my first one, and my first bad experience! So upsetting

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 8:47 am
mha3484 wrote:
I work for a small company, we had a very vague contract we used for many years until we almost got sued so we had a lawyer draft us a much stronger agreement. It was not cheap but very worthwhile.

How would I find a lawyer willing to make me a contract?

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 8:48 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He agreed via text
It’s not a Jewish client - my first one, and my first bad experience! So upsetting

Then small claims court.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 9:13 am
If they are supposed to pay monthly and they don’t then stop doing the work.
It’s pretty scary cuz right now people owe me total 7k but they sort of need me so I just won’t perform if they don’t pay...
Some people I have contracts with but everyone is Jewish.... so sometimes it’s not worth it to create a whole proposal contract etc.
Usually it’s just email of what I will do for them with a quote and when they agree it’s basically considered an agreeement
Also where were you doing his books? If they are on your computer then just keep them. If it’s qbo you can undo reconciliation or some of your work idk... .

amother
Currant

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 9:28 am
And yes, half up front is standard. Anyone who won't agree to pay half up front is probably not going to pay ever.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 10:20 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
If they are supposed to pay monthly and they don’t then stop doing the work.
It’s pretty scary cuz right now people owe me total 7k but they sort of need me so I just won’t perform if they don’t pay...
Some people I have contracts with but everyone is Jewish.... so sometimes it’s not worth it to create a whole proposal contract etc.
Usually it’s just email of what I will do for them with a quote and when they agree it’s basically considered an agreeement
Also where were you doing his books? If they are on your computer then just keep them. If it’s qbo you can undo reconciliation or some of your work idk... .

I did January to October 2021 to catch him up and be ready for taxes on time
I keep his books on my own set of QuickBooks
I sent him a detailed profit and loss so he can see all the activity etc

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 3:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I did January to October 2021 to catch him up and be ready for taxes on time
I keep his books on my own set of QuickBooks
I sent him a detailed profit and loss so he can see all the activity etc

Ok but he may the info in the future (hopefully) Don’t send him ANYTHING until he pays

curlyhead

Post Thu, Nov 25 2021, 9:38 pm
For contracts you get from a lawyer or online websites have generic ones you can buy. I got a free one from a course I did.

You get client to pay upfront or 50% upfront. You stop doing work if they do not pay.

can you get a collection agency to collect money?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics