Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
What are you feeding your family this week?

ArthurDent

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 8:24 am
Breakfast, lunch, dinner? My kitchen is in flux and I have no idea how other people do it when it's in between going from chometzdik to pesachdik.

Can you also specify whether it's already pesachdik or not and how you're serving it (I.e. paper plates, in the corner of your kitchen, out in the backyard, etc)?

Making my own Pesach still feels relatively new to me.

zigi

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 8:37 am
for snacks we have kosher lepesach cookies and apple sauce, I'm not serving anymore bread in the house I will make sandwiches and serve them out side. also will give the kids kosher lepesach cereal. if its not actual chometz it will be served on paper plates. I hope to have the kitchen done by wendsday and then it will be kosher lepesach food only in the house. and maybe a nice chometz take out sandwich for lunch.

Chani

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 8:41 am
I'll hopefully finish switching the kitchen today. Breakfast was Pesach cereal in paper bowls. I'm taking them out for lunch today, and possibly tonight too. Snacks are fruit, same as always.

montrealmommy

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 8:42 am
cleaning/kashering kitchen tonight and changing over balance tomorrow (this is out of necessity not desire) -

No more bread in house

kitniyos (rice mostly)
chicken
deli meat
veggoes and fruit

pesach cereal w/ rice milk for breakfast

lunch will be at my parent's house where kids will have a bbsitter, so I am thinking tuna, veggies, baked potatoes, etc...

suppers will be most of the aforementioned and kept very simple. By Wed. I should have Pesach food made and we will eat that.

B"H we are not big carb eaters, so hopefully it won't be so daunting!

Also, we are not changing over the dining room until Wed. night, so any non-Pesachdik foods will be eated in there!

flowerpower

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 10:01 am
my motto is no matter how hard it is, dont give pesach food only this week, pesach in 8 days not two weeks so, I buy bread and we eat sandwiches on the porch or on the outside steps, I will buy take out for dinner(its a rare occasion that we do like this week) cereal and milk for breakfast, yogurt for snack, um what else?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 1:30 pm
today is a normal day.

tomorrow e/o will eat breakfast and lunch where they are, I'm not up to dinner yet ! I guess I'll buy somethng.

but tues night I will be cooking iyh, and if not, I'll have to pick up something for then.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 1:38 pm
we will be subsisting on oberlander's fingers cookies until I get the kitchen turned over Wink ha ha ha

Pizza

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 2:23 pm
I have a single electric burner that I use every year for fresh, hot pasta w/ tomato sauce

I also have two ovens, so I am not kashering the milchig one til later in the week. I have a lasagna and a tuna-noodle casserole in the freezer that I will defrost and reheat in the oven.

I also have shabbos leftovers, we will have them tomorrow, reheated on the burner and the plata.

And, for one other meal, I have some boneless chicken in the freezer, I will cook up some veggies and throw in the chicken, then serve it on top of couscouse (in the garden!!!!) for a filling meal. The couscous cooks by just sitting in hot water, so it's a one-pot meal.

I left out a cutting board and knife and peeler for milchig and fleishig so I can make big, yummy salads for each meal. I find that makes a difference - it is physically and emotionally more filling to sit down to a real meal.

We also have an electric sandwich maker, which is good for kids who get hungry (*ravenous*) in between meals (I have 3 teens, so this is a pretty common occurance) (If they are hungry enough to make it and wash and bentsh, they deserve it!)

We have crackers left so we'll be working on those. And, for later in the week, we have tons of rice cakes and chumus, and I bought some kitnios cookies for snacking.

All this will be eaten on disposables, in the dining room (not pesachdig yet) or the garden. The pots and utensils will be washed either in the garden or the bathtub.

I try not to make Pesach last more than 7 (this year 8) days, the kids get cranky around half-way through - "theres no food to eat" plus when theyre home all day, they eat more. And, Ive been putting mine to work (ages 8 - 17) so I feel I really do owe it to them to feed them well.

Hannah!

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 5:22 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Sun, May 04 2008, 3:37 am; edited 1 time in total

freidasima

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 5:26 pm
The more I see what I have left, the more I want to turn the kitchen Thursday nite earliest. That way we can eat normally until then. However I will run out of food...leftovers tomorrow, Tuesday, wednesday eggs. What will I serve thursday nite? Good question. On the other hand if I turn the kitchen Wednesday nite after dinner into the late hours then thursday I can cook chicken wings in the oven and that can last for a day...

I think I will tell everyone to go out and buy a falafel.

bashinda

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 8:56 pm
uh tomorrow I"m making those potato crusted fish thingies.
there's definitely pizza too maybe tomorrow if I don't make the fish thingies or I make it for lunch. if I'm ready.
Then after that IY"H it's Pesach food and that's it!

mimivan

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 9:18 pm
Okay...finished the kitchen...but the dining room table is still chametzdig (will change it iy'h on Tues)

bfast: corn flakes, fruit yogurt

lunch, pitas, cheese, tuna salad

dinner Pizza!

Tues: same thing b'fast and lunch
dinner Pesachdig latkes and veggie soup...pitas outside

Wed
(now the dining room is switched) iy'h..
bfast: rice cakes, fruit yogurt
lunch: salads (some pesachdig) eaten outside
dinner: falafel (ordering out)

Thurs: bfast same
lunch same
dinner: Pastalittos (like little shepherds pies with ground beef and potato, fried up)
chicken soup
(above items are Pesachdig_

Friday
Same b'fast
lunch: chicken and soup
dinner Shabbos and then Seder

Barbara

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 9:40 pm
freidasima wrote:
The more I see what I have left, the more I want to turn the kitchen Thursday nite earliest. That way we can eat normally until then. However I will run out of food...leftovers tomorrow, Tuesday, wednesday eggs. What will I serve thursday nite? Good question. On the other hand if I turn the kitchen Wednesday nite after dinner into the late hours then thursday I can cook chicken wings in the oven and that can last for a day...

I think I will tell everyone to go out and buy a falafel.

I rarely finish before Thursday.

My oven is done (well, I want to run a second self-clean cycle), but the burners still need to be done, counters covered, floors cleaned, etc. No real cooking this week; just the microwave, heating leftover chicken, or cooking things in the burners.

We're invited out for the first seder, so I'm actually not in bad shape.

curlyhead

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 11:09 pm
My kitchen is being cleaned today. But we have a seperate milk kitchen in a seperate room. So I will cook kitniyos in the milchig kitchen . But use papergoods and as little real dishes as possible
Monday -Rice Macaroni and cheese
Tuesday - Tuna and french fries
Wednesday - Coldcut sandwich in the park
Thurday -Pesach food Maybe meatloaf or burgers and will make double for friday lunch.

No more chometz inmy house breakfast has been yogurt or pudding with corn thins or egg matza the past few days.

Once the kids are off school a lunch will probobly be in the park.

Akeres Habayis

Post Mon, Apr 14 2008, 1:40 am
anyone remember my big plans for finishing by sunday????well,I'm moving after isru chag,so I have to pack now so I dont have to do it during chol hamoed!!
so there's no chometz in the house and I need to still buy a few items plus the produce.but sunday we had fish and brocoli for dinner(breakfast is the same everyday,eggs,onions and some kind of pastry...now its pesacdik "cake")monday is shabbos left overs(which happened to be kosher l'pesach chicken)chicken and stringbeans.tuesday,we will order pizza,wed everyone will go for themselves(maybe a big pot of soup) bc that's shopping day for the produce.
I guess tuesday night I will kasher the kitchen counters,and sinks.we hope to finish packing today.
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Pizza

Post Mon, Apr 14 2008, 11:34 am
in the past I have also cooked a chicken or meatballs or hamburger in the pesadig oven, in an aluminum tin, and brought it to the chometz eating area to be eaten with bread or noodles (cooked on a portable electric burner, or ramen noodles that just need hot water poured over)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics