Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
My Aliyah Vent.....
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 8:41 am
I made Aliyah with my family this summer. My husband and I are searching for jobs, but still unemployed and I'm getting worried and depressed. At first, my husband didn't want to move to Israel, it was basically my decision and I REALLY do not want to hear the "I told you so"... because he told me from the beginning that it will be hard and not a good idea for us. So now all of my family is living in Israel and I really thought that it wouldn't be a good idea to wait any longer because my kids will just get older. My kids are elementary school age and so far I'm impressed how quickly they've adapted to the school. Luckily, I've always spoken Hebrew to them since they were born so the language isn't a big problem for them and they now have good friends. I know for sure that we can't go back because I really do not like to move my kids AGAIN, they'll be so confused. And we basically don't have anything left in the US for us to go back to. But, now that I'm here, I'll be honest, I have had several days where I'm thinking to myself...how I miss my life in the US! We didn't own a house or lived in luxury over there, but things just seemed much easier for us. Like I can't even find a doctor same day here! I don't have a car and going shopping is a hassle... we live in a small town and there are barely any stores around, I'd have to take public transportation to go to a nearby city for clothing stores. It's too hot everyday. I walk the kids each way 20 minutes to their school back and forth. School ends too early here. Buying food is expensive. Don't let me start talking about customer service LOL So far I'm just happy with the school, which is MUCH cheaper than what we used to pay for in the US. I love how people help each other when needed over here and most of the neighbors are good and friendly. I love that it's so easy to find so many shuls and mikvahot...and I love the fact that I'm living among Jews. BUT it's definitely not easy here. My mom is helping us pay for rent for this year, I really don't know how we'll manage afterwards, we both have to work and living expenses here is way too high. I've applied to so many jobs and getting frustrated with the rejections. Will it ever get better?...

DVOM

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 8:50 am
When Leviim were trained to sing in the bait hamikdash, they were given five years to learn and adjust. If they couldn't get the hang of it after 5 years, they were put on guard duty.

Give yourself five years, OP. I bet in five years from now you'll be fully adjusted in your new life. Or not, and you'll move back, but at least you'll know that you've given it your very best shot.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 8:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I made Aliyah with my family this summer. My husband and I are searching for jobs, but still unemployed and I'm getting worried and depressed. At first, my husband didn't want to move to Israel, it was basically my decision and I REALLY do not want to hear the "I told you so"... because he told me from the beginning that it will be hard and not a good idea for us. So now all of my family is living in Israel and I really thought that it wouldn't be a good idea to wait any longer because my kids will just get older. My kids are elementary school age and so far I'm impressed how quickly they've adapted to the school. Luckily, I've always spoken Hebrew to them since they were born so the language isn't a big problem for them and they now have good friends. I know for sure that we can't go back because I really do not like to move my kids AGAIN, they'll be so confused. And we basically don't have anything left in the US for us to go back to. But, now that I'm here, I'll be honest, I have had several days where I'm thinking to myself...how I miss my life in the US! We didn't own a house or lived in luxury over there, but things just seemed much easier for us. Like I can't even find a doctor same day here! I don't have a car and going shopping is a hassle... we live in a small town and there are barely any stores around, I'd have to take public transportation to go to a nearby city for clothing stores. It's too hot everyday. I walk the kids each way 20 minutes to their school back and forth. School ends too early here. Buying food is expensive. Don't let me start talking about customer service LOL So far I'm just happy with the school, which is MUCH cheaper than what we used to pay for in the US. I love how people help each other when needed over here and most of the neighbors are good and friendly. I love that it's so easy to find so many shuls and mikvahot...and I love the fact that I'm living among Jews. BUT it's definitely not easy here. My mom is helping us pay for rent for this year, I really don't know how we'll manage afterwards, we both have to work and living expenses here is way too high. I've applied to so many jobs and getting frustrated with the rejections. Will it ever get better?...
OP, you posted a lot about being unsure about making this move, correct? And you made aliyah in the summer, so only a few months ago. You HAVE to give yourself a lot more time to get settled. When one moves to a new country and everything is different, you cant say, after a few months, nah, this was a mistake, lets go back. There are so many things you can change if you need to. If you dont like where you live, change that. And of course things were easier there, you lived there a long time so you were used to everything. OP, it takes TIME to get used to everything. Its still new to you. Trust me. In terms of jobs, corona made finding work, in some fields, harder. Maybe if you post what fields you both are in people can help you as to where good places are to look.
But dont give up just yet. Change, and that really is what aliyah is, takes time. You have to give it time. Otherwise it will be a failure before it became anything at all.

amother
Leaf

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 9:23 am
Adjusting takes time. Hang in there. You're emotionally spent from making a huge transition. Treat yourself with kindness and patience.

amother
Impatiens

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 9:30 am
Where do you live and what kind of job are you looking for?

amother
Carnation

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 9:33 am
We moved in August. We feel the same way, and, mind you, we have jobs. It’s part of the process, it’s really a mourning process. A lot of days, I’m depressed and, a lot of days, I’m confused. Other days, we’re happy and others we’re angry. But, walking and driving the roads here, there’s truly nothing like it and I have clarity. It’s hard. I’m also trying to ride the waves! Just to add, I was the one convinced to come.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 9:53 am
amother [ Carnation ] wrote:
We moved in August. We feel the same way, and, mind you, we have jobs. It’s part of the process, it’s really a mourning process. A lot of days, I’m depressed and, a lot of days, I’m confused. Other days, we’re happy and others we’re angry. But, walking and driving the roads here, there’s truly nothing like it and I have clarity. It’s hard. I’m also trying to ride the waves! Just to add, I was the one convinced to come.

OP here. My sister in law feels the same way, she's the one who didn't want to leave. However, she found an amazing job just a month after Aliyah. I understand it's still a transition, but when I hear her complaining about things, I'm thinking to myself...at least she has a job to go to every day! I mean, I'm sure my husband and I will still complain for awhile but most important is to have jobs and this is the main thing that's bothering me right now. Can't survive much longer without jobs.

essie14

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 9:56 am
Mazal tov!
The beginning can be very overwhelming.
I'm living here 10 years and still learning things.
Slowly you will feel more and more settled.
Happy kids is a huge piece and will really make you feel more settled.
B'Hatzlacha!

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 9:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OP here. My sister in law feels the same way, she's the one who didn't want to leave. However, she found an amazing job just a month after Aliyah. I understand it's still a transition, but when I hear her complaining about things, I'm thinking to myself...at least she has a job to go to every day! I mean, I'm sure my husband and I will still complain for awhile but most important is to have jobs and this is the main thing that's bothering me right now. Can't survive much longer without jobs.
What do you and your husband do? Maybe us in Israel can help you brainstorm.

banana123

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 10:05 am
OP, are you on the Israeli forum? Why not post there under your sn, telling us where you are, and what kinds of jobs you and DH are trained for and interested in?

Also, maybe have someone go over your CV to make sure it's not one that will get tossed right away.

And put out feelers! Tell everyone you meet that you and your DH are new olim and looking for jobs. Someone will know someone who is looking for someone....

Good luck!

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 10:07 am
I've been here 7 years, and it's been a big adjustment. Still, you couldn't pay me to go back to the US. I do struggle in a lot of ways, but that's not Israel's fault, it's still galus. I struggled a lot worse in America.

Now is the time to focus on emunah, bitachon, and even tzedakah. If you give what you can afford to give, Hashem will reward you in much bigger ways, in miracles you can't even imagine.

Talk to Nefesh b'Nefesh. Talk to your local Chessed organizations. Talk to your rabbi. Talk to the Department of Labor about job search boards. Get on WhatsApp and see what you can do short term, like babysitting or running errands for someone. Check your the Facebook pages for your community daily, and see what's going on around you.

If you want to PM the name of your city, maybe I can give you more specific advice.

Are you a member of the Life in Israel forum yet? We'd all love to help you. Let us know what job skills you and DH have to offer. We may know someone who knows someone!

amother
Hibiscus

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 10:07 am
We made Aliyah this summer as well. It's been difficult to get adjusted, for sure. BH for Sal Klita, and unemployment, if it comes to that. It's not much, but with savings, it's okay for now.
Getting jobs is difficult whenever you move somewhere new. Happy to help in any way I can!

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 10:14 am
Also remember, there is no job market in the WORLD that hadn't been hit hard by Corona. It's not your fault you're not finding something right away.

The fact that you speak Hebrew, and your kids speak Hebrew, has already put you a thousand miles ahead of most other new Olim. You should be very proud of that.

If there was only ONE thing I could do differently about my Aliyah, I would have signed DD and myself up for Hebrew classes at least a year before we came over. It really does make all the difference.

amother
Electricblue

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 11:17 am
Can you apply to an online American job? What seems low in the US is 3x more in shekalim! Apply for anything just to get by, customer service, teaching English online, and after you find the job you want in Israel you can quit these gigs.

DrMom

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 12:11 pm
Do you have any friends here? Can any of them (somebody with a car) help you run errands occasionally?

chanchy123

Post Mon, Nov 08 2021, 12:24 pm
OP the fact that you’re set with rent for the year is amazing, take this time without a job as an opportunity to settle in - and just breathe, taking baby steps in your new life here in Israel. For all you know your SIL is resentful of your free time settling in while she has to juggle her job, children and new country. There fact that you do have this safety net should give you time to find employment, we don’t know what fields you’re in - but you might want to seek a professional who can help you with CV and coach you towards success in interviews.
You’ve only been here for a few months, cut yourself some slack- just adjusting to a new country *with kids* is a full time job.

ora_43

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 6:03 am
This is so so normal. Getting familiar with a whole new way of doing things is an exhausting process. It's hard enough just moving to a new neighborhood or city and needing to learn all over again which stores are good and which are bad, where the post office is, finding a doctor, all that stuff. When you add in a new country, new cultural norms, new system of measurement... It's very normal to find yourself thinking "what did I get myself into."

Give yourself time. That's really the only way. IME it takes at least a year.

amother
Bone

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 6:21 am
My sister made aliyah a few months ago. I think part of the problem is the expectation. My sister was full of excitement as she was going. Now she is experiencing the ups and downs of life in a new country. I see on this thread people are depressed and sad and overwhelmed. And it's very normal. But I think in the months leading up to the move, most think of it like it will be amazing and smooth sailing. Then reality sets in. Hatslacha to all those trying to make it work.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 10:42 am
Op here, what’s the Israeli forum some of you mentioned?

I’ve been looking for jobs here and virtually in the US but many in the US require you to be in the US even if it’s virtual…

I think another part of me being depressed is that I feel alone. And the funny thing is that I’m one of the lucky ones…. I moved to a city where my brother and sister live!!! So I’m really not alone, I’m near family, yet my family doesn’t make me feel not alone. I get it that each one has their own families and responsibilities. My sister has been living in Israel for many years. We didn’t live near each other for around 15 years and now we’re finally close by and she can’t just once in awhile text me to see how I’m doing, I know she’s busy so most of the time I text her and I don’t expect a response right away. But ive been telling her stuff and she knows I’m not happy.. so I’m disappointed that she can’t just text me once in awhile to see how I’m doing! And we live in the same city, 20 minutes walking distance!!!! So part of me is also disappointed with my own family and a big part of this move was for me to be closer to my family 🙄.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 10:58 am
Go to the top of the page and click on forums. Find Life In Israel. Request access. While you’re at it, request access for any private forum that applies to you.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions